cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i overclocked my gtx 1060 6gb, heres how

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

open up gpu z and click the "?" question mark beside "bus interface" to start a test that shows your current gpu clock mhz.

mine is 1936 gpu clock mhz, 4006 memory clock, before overclocking. 2100 gpu core clock, 4608 memory clock after overclocking,

first setup the skin, settings, user interface, "msi gaming z afterburner skin by drerex design"

now for the overclocking.

settings for the GTX 1060;
settings, general, check "unlock voltage control"

core voltage +20
power limit max value linked to temp limit max value
core clock 168 = 12 * 14, multiple of 12, too much and you get artifacts
memory clock 600

fan speed auto,
settings,
fan,
check "enable user defined software automatic fan control"
y = 40, x = 20
y = 60, x = 50
y = 80, x = 60
y = 100, x = 70

click apply check mark

under profile, click save icon, then click a number i click 1.

then minimize msi afterburner and run msi konfabulator click "run stress test", if you see blocky artifacts then the core clock is too high or the memory clock is too high, probably the core clock or its not set to a multiple of 12.

core clock, maybe if your videocard is different than the gtx 1060 6gb you can put in a higher value for the core clock.
run konfabulator stress test to see if you see block junk pop up, then if so, the core clock is too high, so set it lower.

settings for the gtx 1080ti;

these are the MSI Afterburner overclock settings for the 1080ti;

core voltage default
power limit max value linked to temp limit max value
core clock 144
memory clock 450

test the konfabulator to see if you get blocky artifacts, if so lower to;
core clock +72
memory clock +300

link to msi afterburner and msi konfabulator

https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

13 REPLIES 13

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
take youtube and forums to get a safe settings. then test on konfabulator to find blocky artifacts.

if there is no online settings yet, then increase the power limit max value linked to temp limit max value, then increase the core clock and memory clock but not at the same time, to find the maximum value they can be set to before giving rough blocky results in konfabulator test. but you need to run konfabulator for an hour or so to be sure.

so if you find the memory or core clock runs fine on konfabulator you need to run konfabulator for an hour or so to be sure.
then, " If you want more core clock...bump up core voltage." i read some people ask gurus if there was a max safe core voltage and the guru said you had safe guards in place so you could set the core voltage as high as you want up to max and it would be safe, others say + 30 is safe so whichever you believe more, i set my core voltage +20.

its safer to wait for the pros to find settings then take the lowest safe settings that work for them. you might need to watch a few videos and read a few forum posts to get an idea of the optimal lowest settings then try them out on konfabulator.

darklord2517
Honored Guest
Honestly, how risky is that for the card? Won't it reduce its life-span?

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
yes there is a risk overclocking can hurt your gpu. how? by the gpu
running at close to 100 percent before and After overclocking. the
additional heat and strain on an overclocked gpu running at 100 percent
will create more heat damage over time.

the trick is to overclock so when you run your gpu the gpu isnt running at max gpu but 80 percent gpu usage is fine imho.

you
need to find an acceptable fps of the game or application your running
that it wont max out the gpu used. for instance i play apex legends and
set the fps to 60 which takes the gpu usage down from 100 percent when
the game tried to get 144 fps, down to around 70 percent now the game is only going 60 fps and the gpu is overclocked.

on the upside an overclocked gpu will use less gpu percentage for the fps than an non-overclocked gpu will.

and using msi afterburner monitor to watch gpu temperatures will tell you when the gpu needs new thermal paste.

my gpu temperature stays around 50 degrees celcius, some videocards go up to 80 degrees celcius, anything more than 80 degrees celcius though i think is a tell tale sign the overclocking is out of hand.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
an extra tip for gpu fan speed is to check the fan speed unsing cam monitor software, if the gpu fan speed when not gaming is 0 percent then the below fan settings might be better to prevent wear on your gpu fans;

y = 0, x = 40
y = 50, x = 50
y = 60, x = 60
y = 80, x = 70
y = 100, x = 80