cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - Intermittent Mic Problem?

GeminiNight
Honored Guest
Hey all,

I am using the Rift S mic in game and 80% of the time it works fine, however the other 20% the quality drops and I sound like a robot when I talk. Others tell me this, and I can hear it in recordings too. The robotic voice only lasts for about 15 seconds and then it starts to sound normal again.

What can I do to solve this issue?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

n0xp
Honored Guest
Hey man, even though no one responded, I just wanted to let you know that I'm experiencing the same thing.

You're not alone.

MisterRogers
Explorer
I have the issue where my mic 100% stops working after a random time and I have to reset my USB connection. I think both of these issues may have something to do with a lack of power going through the USB. I ordered a PCIe card for USB 3.1 2nd gen. I'll see if that helps.

BD4GS
Honored Guest

I have the issue where my mic 100% stops working after a random time and I have to reset my USB connection. I think both of these issues may have something to do with a lack of power going through the USB. I ordered a PCIe card for USB 3.1 2nd gen. I'll see if that helps.

Please let us know if your PCIe card fixed your mic issue.

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I have had this as well, but it only happens when using discord, never on normal streams.
So guess it's a discord bug.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
Actually happened when I streamed Shadow Point tonight outside of discord.. . Not as long or often as when using discord, but it was there a few times.
So guess it didn't have anything to do with discord.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
Looks like my issue is fixed now. Seems my kable extensions was causing it, tried without extensions today, and the guy in discord I tested with didn't hear me become a robot for the whole session. 🙂
The Closet Sim Rig

GeminiNight
Honored Guest
Sorry for the late reply guys, I checked back here for a while and then gave up on getting a reply. Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to know I am not alone on this.

I contacted Oculus support and was told to try the following steps:

• Try re-seating the USB cable and headset cable. Click here for the steps on how to complete this.
  • Try another USB 3.0 port
  • Disconnect additional microphones (if any)
  • Exit any additional applications recording audio
  • Set the headset as the default Windows communication device
Sadly none of the above suggestions have helped. The noise only happens intermittently, but as I stream and record videos, it's pretty frustrating to have 10 - 20 seconds of loud robotic voice.

This is a clip I took of it happening, my voice starts of normal, goes robotic, and then sorts itself out again. 

https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantAntediluvianAlfalfaPanicBasket

I've contacted support again to see what else I can try.

I don't use a cable extension unfortunately @rVRcloset but I am glad it fixed your problem 🙂 Could be a problem with my actual headset wire I guess?

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

Sorry for the late reply guys, I checked back here for a while and then gave up on getting a reply. Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to know I am not alone on this.

• Try re-seating the USB cable and headset cable. Click here for the steps on how to complete this.
Sadly none of the above suggestions have helped. The noise only happens intermittently, but as I stream and record videos, it's pretty frustrating to have 10 - 20 seconds of loud robotic voice.

This is a clip I took of it happening, my voice starts of normal, goes robotic, and then sorts itself out again. 

I don't use a cable extension unfortunately @rVRcloset but I am glad it fixed your problem 🙂 Could be a problem with my actual headset wire I guess?

Sounds exactly as mine did. I guess what you could try is to lower your mic output to see if that helps.
The Closet Sim Rig

AltarriStar
Explorer

I have this exact same issue. My mic quality just drops at random times to the point where I sound like a robot. It's especially annoying when talking on vrchat and discord. I've tried contacting oculus support, where they have sent multiple possible solutions, only to find none to be successful at fixing the issue. Have you had any luck at resolving this yet?