cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think Oculus Rift S changed my DisplayPort to HDMI

PyroGato64
Honored Guest
Yesterday I opened my Oculus Rift S for the first time and everything worked well. Today I put the Oculus Rift S and it wont show image, I tried another DisplayPort on the GPU and it wont work either. I have a third DisplayPort and that where my monitor is in, I disconnected and connected the Oculus on that one and only on that it would show me image. I am not sure what happened, yesterday It would work no problem and even had my monitor hooked up and everything, today I dont know what did it do but the displayports just dont work anymore. Anyone knows whats going on? I searched over if there was something that "deactivated" the displayports on my GPU but nothing.
15 REPLIES 15

RattyUK
Trustee
Does your monitor work in the other DP's?

Also if using Nvidia hardware have you checked for firmware updates too?

Thanks to another poster ( @truthyat ) for this link:  https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

PyroGato64
Honored Guest
It doesnt work on the other DP's, thats why I think the Oculus just straight up killed them 

I checked firmware updates too and everything is good. No updates.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Maybe the display ports just failed on their own. Is it even possible for the Rift-S to damage your DP? It just seems more likely that they failed.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

sraura
Heroic Explorer
It is possible that your display adapter ports died. It is also possible that your power supply is dying or is overloaded. However as your rift was working, I would expect that there is some much more simple answer like some display setting what has changed or display drivers which got updated automatically. Try pressing left windows key + "P" for starters and see what it says... Also type "device manager" to search box and hit enter. Check that there are no "non working devices" under display adapters, monitors or imaging devices.
It is very unlikely that rift killed your ports (and even more unlikely that it did and still works after that).
And as easy solution - if you have other ports (non display ports) on your gpu -perhaps you can connect your monitor to one of those. Either with another cable or with adapter.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Open a support ticket.  On their old rift it was seen as a virtual monitor, it caused all kinds of problems in the early days but they fixed it.  It might have something to do with virtual monitors.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
You may also try reseating your gpu card.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

jayhawk
Superstar
I wonder if displayports are touchy. The displayport input on my monitor died.

PyroGato64
Honored Guest
The other two display ports just wont work at all, I tried connecting other stuff, other monitors onto those and nothing, no signal or anything. I already opened a ticket with Oculus and they are checking my logs.

One thing that I did find is that If I plug the oculus into the first display port (the one my monitor is currently in use) It will show image, but still its pretty weird that the other two display ports just stopped working.

Again I used the DP the first time I used my Oculus and no problem, just weird they dont work from one day to another.

PyroGato64
Honored Guest
Update report: Oculus just send me some solutions, I erased Oculus and all of its appdata/appdatalocal/roaming data, everything, then used the DDU on nvidia, updated my graphics card and reinstall oculus software.

In the end none of this worked, the only thing is that my oculus somehow changed my graphics card behavior, from having 3 DP'S 1 HDMI and 1 DVI to 1 DP'S 3 HDMI 1DVI... I know its weird.

I am pretty much giving up, I am sending back this thing. I am really pissed on how this thing really affected my computer.