cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of the Rift cable tangling and twisting? Here is my solution

maxpare79
Trustee
Alright, my HMD cable did so much twisting and turning over the past few months that it was now full of kinks and it became harder and harder to untangle/untwist. So today I bought some 1/4" split loom tubing, it cost me 5$ for 50 feet and it works wonders. The cable now slides on the floor and stays in a beautiful shape.

It also protects it from children's feet and chair wheels 🙂 and it doesn't weight anything!

bomzvtf0lx3z.jpg

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
63 REPLIES 63

Manayard
Honored Guest
For Persons trying to do an overhead cabling setup but are concerned about cables hanging down, thought I would post a few pictures of my setup in case it helps anyone,this is still a work in progress but is very usable as is.
I am using a boom tripod i found on amazon cheap,it is a bit on the flimsy side, had to use a couple 10 lb ankle weights to get it stable, However it has the advantage that the boom does swivel ,to deal with cable sag I have a couple of dog leashes to pull in excess cable 

On the headset side i am using a knapsack with attachable selfie stick that i attach the cable to, this helps keep it above head height and prevent that tugging on my headset. 

Keeping mind I am working with some constraints Apartment living so i cant wall or ceiling mount anything and i have ceiling fans to deal with as well. Space is currently 2m x 1.8m. But once Christmas tree is down if i move a couch and pc  i potentially can open that up to 4m x 2m and have tested an can currently get full movement within that region with current placement, but everything is on tripods so i can adjust sensors if needed.
p5pjcvb59o95.jpgmak4yr9sudrk.jpgfeuz4lml57qs.jpg

kevink808
Superstar
Good lord, you been playing some Fantastic Contraptions. You do know that someday our kids are going to make fun of us for this nonsense back when VR was wired!  😄
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
kevin can you show us how you setup the dogleash?

kevink808
Superstar
Sorry it took so long. Holidays and all.  Here are some pics I posted elsewhere of my setup. You can see how I run the cables up the wall, then to a couple cuphooks on the ceiling, then to two dog leashes. Note that dog leash #2 is actually disconnected when not in use so the HMD can rest on my mannequin.  I had to play with it for the exact slack I wanted.  Depending on whether I'm in a seated, standing, front-facing or roomscale experience, I can easily adjust the configuration to make the cable where I need it to be.  The trick to using the Flexi XS leashes is to support the main cable enough so the leashes only pull enough to hold the cord, but not enough for you to really feel it.  This setup works great.

3hdruihv1r65.jpg
cc0bsmpnevi9.jpg
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

JettStiles
Adventurer
In the end I went for a solution much similiar to kevink808's setup:

mvybc6o0txun.jpg

Bought this off Amazon for 19 quid - you can see that it's just basically stuff cobbled together that you'll find in every toolshed.
You just tape the hooks onto your ceiling (had to use special tape there cause the one that came with the set just wouldn't stick), set up the tension on the leash and run the Oculus cable through it.

Best thing: The "leash" (the little black things at the top) can easily be taken down when you're not playing leaving just the hooks visible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MIDWEC-Lanyards-Adhesive-Virtual-Wires-Easy-x/dp/B01MSJ6XF5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

Weathon
Explorer
Thanks @maxpare79 !
I used your approach and it does exactly what it should. I think this is the perfect solution if you just want your cable from entangling itself and dont want to mount anything or so.
And it just cost 4$, i dont even need tie straps 🙂

Aroddo
Protege
I bought three of those for about $12 each: https://goo.gl/HYrQ67

Then I daisy-chained them together, made some guides with cable binders and mounted the thing close to the ceiling, so the cables would not be a trip hazard. The cable is long enough to cover the whole virtual room without causing any drag whatsoever (apart from the weight of the cable).
htslrpja8hbd.jpg

I liked the idead of folding the elements neatly into a small package, but in practice I just leave the thing extended. With that in mind, a broomstick on a swivel mount (check your local hardware store) would be more cost effective.

ThexDopexPope
Explorer
This is my setup.  It cost me about $240 in materials.  That being said - if I buy everything in bulk I could create kits to sell for about $200.  If I put some kits together would anyone be interested in buying something like this?  The thick cable is a 12' custom sleeved, powered HDMI / USB 3.0.  The cable is on a retractable leash and the pulleys give excellent lateral movement.  The cable can easily be taken down if you want to put it away.  (In some of the pix you can see a number of cables on the ceiling and some where its 1 thick one.  The kits would come with the nice thick custom sleeved cable, I can make different colors too.)mg9pbc905hef.jpg6l1l2x1cuzw6.jpg
kowimbospcex.jpgpk25vly9mzxw.jpg08awxww5uu4d.jpg

Wildt
Consultant
....or a TPCAST! :smiley:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

ThexDopexPope
Explorer
TPCast if you want reduced FOV, reduced image quality, potential for tracking issues, mic issues, signal interference because of such high frequencies.  I love my setup.  I can walk anywhere in my room with close to no resistance at all and rotate freely in 360 degrees.  Whip my headset off and drop it for a minute to go piss and the HMD floats about 10in above the floor and it hangs on my wall with cables out of the way.  IMO money much better spent on a good cable management system that tech that isn't developed enough with a company who is known for terrible customer service.