cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

mashermets
Explorer
I know how you feel I upgraded cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram all for vr!! Could have brought an old school tv and watch static all day long for £50! Feels like a waste of £1200 my old pc played all my flat games no problem 😞 Oculus support that I spoke to alluded to that the firmware update being part of the 1.39 update which it's not!!! No one even said it can be fixed with firmware from support!! If it does not get fixed soon I'll want my money back 😞

mhajii210
Expert Protege
Guys I got a cable replacement from Oculus support on Tuesday and it didn't fix the static flashes. I let support know it didn't work and this is what they told me:

"We're currently aware of this issue, and we are actively working to address it. I don't have an estimated timeline for you right now on when we'll be able to do so, but we recognize the impact this has on your experience and will address this as soon as we are able.

Thanks for your continued patience while we work on this for you."

Brian1256
Protege

Oculus support is working on this continuously with me since I opened my support ticket with requests for log files, hardware and software information etc. When I first received the headset, it was into this. Asus Prime MB, 7700K, GTX 1080 TI and got the flashes. I have since upgraded to a new computer Asus ROG Maximus XI Code MB, 9900K, RTX 2080 TI and experience the same flashes.  Here is the latest I received... 

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your patience thus far while we worked through high ticket volumes.

After investigating this particular issue further, we are currently working on a fix to resolve it, which will be released in a future update to our software, and a replacement wouldn't fix the static/snow issue.

glavcevs
Explorer
Same, have white static flash every ~10min of play (pavlov vr). Usually in higher graphically intensive games i think. And often at entering oculus home (high graphic settings). 
Rift s; MSI ge75 2080; i7-9thgen

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

1.39 states that it upgraded firmware to address display issues, which I assume was directed towards this issue. But... I'm still having the problem after updating. I'm beginning to regret my purchase.

I do not see that stated in the 1.39 PTC update notes anywhere.

I was on when the update popped up. I swear at the time it labeled it as a firmware update and stated that it "corrected display issues" and tweaked Home. I assumed it was for this issue but the release notes have more info listed now and it seems it was mostly for tracking... which is still a very good update.

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Oculus updated their Support page with the below message. It would seem they are very well aware of the issue:
sqn6h1ta38xw.png

I think that advice has been available for a while. The statement about a fix being available shortly after launch is just about still plausible as we're now 6 weeks post launch but I think we'll soon be moving towards 'some time after launch' being more accurate.

My flashes only started after I'd unplugged and re-connected my S (to test something else) so I'd advise anyone not having flashes not to touch the connections at all although that could have just been coincidence.

I really wish Oculus would share their findings on the cause so far so we could have some idea of the nature and confidence that it definitely is firmware fixable.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Oculus updated their Support page with the below message. It would seem they are very well aware of the issue:
sqn6h1ta38xw.png

So if Oculus recommends this how are they going to fix it in a software update exactly? How does unplugging a cable and plugging it back in get fixed using a software update? This is obviously due to a connection problem if they are asking you to unplug the cable and then plug it back in is it not?

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

I really wish Oculus would share their findings on the cause so far so we could have some idea of the nature and confidence that it definitely is firmware fixable.

A thought that it may be hardware-related did cross my mind too. But then I realized there would be no way to explain how it is that so many people don't have any issues with white static, while others get new headsets and the issue persists. That's often a good indicator of a configuration and/or software being a problem. Which, in turn, is a fixable item. This gives me hope

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Just got this reply from their support. This actually sounds very encouraging
he673k740nql.jpg