cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

piou44
Explorer

I really wish Oculus would share their findings on the cause so far so we could have some idea of the nature and confidence that it definitely is firmware fixable.

A thought that it may be hardware-related did cross my mind too. But then I realized there would be no way to explain how it is that so many people don't have any issues with white static, while others get new headsets and the issue persists. That's often a good indicator of a configuration and/or software being a problem. Which, in turn, is a fixable item. This gives me hope

I tried 3 rifts s, the first had a scratch on the lens and reconditioned by amazon and no flashes, then I had 2 other new oculus rift s  and had random flash

I really wish Oculus would share their findings on the cause so far so we could have some idea of the nature and confidence that it definitely is firmware fixable.

A thought that it may be hardware-related did cross my mind too. But then I realized there would be no way to explain how it is that so many people don't have any issues with white static, while others get new headsets and the issue persists. That's often a good indicator of a configuration and/or software being a problem. Which, in turn, is a fixable item. This gives me hope

Yeah, I think you're probably right. There's just this niggling possibility of a problem with a batch of components used during manufacture in some headsets. That in itself doesn't preclude a firmware fix as it may be possible to mitigate a known behaviour caused by wrongly spec'd component with firmware changes... it happens with motherboard firmware to improve memory stability and compatibility for example, but as always all we can do is guess.

Oculus sending cables out to some people muddied the water a bit too, but I suppose they have to try everything if they hadn't pinned down the problem at that stage.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Just got this reply from their support. This actually sounds very encouraging
he673k740nql.jpg

If they are confident it will be fixed in the near future then why don't you ask them what the problem is? Surely they must know what the problem is related to if they are confident of a fix in the near future?

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

If they are confident it will be fixed in the near future then why don't you ask them what the problem is? Surely they must know what the problem is related to if they are confident of a fix in the near future?

I thought about that, but decided against it for two reasons. First one is that I used to run a service-based internet company, and software development was a (small) component of services we provided. As a result I know firsthand how difficult it can be to fix a software issue when more then half of one's resources are tied up in dealing with tickets. These days I'm happy to learn that a company is aware of the issue and that they're committed to fixing it, even if there's no specific timeline. Keeping tickets correspondence short and to the point is the name of the game.
Second reason is that they have no timeline. Again based on personal experience, this is indicative of a problem that is yet to be pinned down. Conclusions I can draw from their response are that (1) they know this is a widespread issue, (2) they are relatively confident it's not a hardware problem and (3) they're eliminating possible culprits until they can tackle creating the fix.
Software is an art as much as it's science. Given the complexity of working on cutting edge technology, this will likely take weeks, maybe even months (I hope not, but I'm prepared to wait). 
At least I now have a dated written record of communication that I can use to get a refund or a replacement should they say "sorry, no software fix is gonna be possible"

mhajii210
Expert Protege
I'm no expert but it would seem the fix or masking the issue shouldn't be too difficult. All they would have to do is program the headset to display the previous image or frame when the headset loses signal. Or they could implement some type of buffer. The static flashes are just a single frame so by doing that they could easily hide the issue. As long as they somehow program it not to display the single frame static flashes, the issue would be resolved. 

Danure
Explorer
This issue is worse than ever and shows no sign of getting better. Tonight it happened over 20 times in the space of 2 hours. Some of those were seconds apart! If Oculus refuses to tell us what the issue is then I guess it's time to open a ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Neodenzel
Honored Guest
I have the same since 29 MAY... Do something to fix that, or let us know in order to be reimbursed !
I have tired everything..Even, changing the lighting of the room. I tried every display port usb 3 (changing options for usb), etc..

mashermets
Explorer
New firmware 1.8.0 anyone's rift s fixed? Not sure but I think it's better think I might have seen one flash, can't be sure yet 

Anonymous
Not applicable

New firmware 1.8.0 anyone's rift s fixed? Not sure but I think it's better think I might have seen one flash, can't be sure yet 

My brief very intermittent flashes are still there.