cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vader Immortal - better than the movies - best PCVR ever - Rift impressions and reviews

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I didn't expect to be completely blown away by this experience - but exactly that happened. My review from the Store:

"This is probably the most impressive VR experience ever created, graphics are generally even better than Lone Echo - and I was starting to give up hope to experience such utterly awesome graphics with all these Quest games appearing lately. This version is NOT ported from the Quest - this is the original and extremely high-end version which was cut down to fit the Quest. The level of polygons are off the charts, and that's why you'll need a high-end cpu to run this game (I'm using an i7 7700K). Vader has so many polygons he simply looks real - he's tall - standing right next to you - as if you were truly there. The movies can't give you such an experence, thus this game/experience is better than the movies 😉 Textures are highly detailed, you're not really going to find better textures anywhere, this is an AAA VR experience. It's short though, but the level of work it must have taken to make this is truly incredible. This is a must-have for the Rifts. Black levels on the CV1 are great, and I didn't notice the SDE, so the Oculus Jedi Masters probably helped the devs to get everything perfect. Forcing super sampling (ss) 2.0 using Oculus Tray Tool made everything look ultra-sharp even structures and buildings more than 100 meters away. But using ss 2.0 was expensive, I got 45 fps on my heavily oc'ed GTX 1080, but it was no big deal - thanks to ASW 2.0. For this experience image quality is way more important than solid 90 fps. 16GB system ram worked OK, I don't think having less than 32GB is a problem. Sound using the CV1 headphones was awesome - like being in a theater. Controls were fine, but this is more like a VR movie than a game. Some tutorials were designed for right-handed persons, and I'm left-handed, but I managed. You get an error when you're too close to walls, which the devs could have done better, but again it's no big deal. All in all - for now - you won't find a better VR experience, even if you're a Trekkie ;)"

You will need a RTX 2080 Ti to enjoy Vader Immortal in 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 (or very high levels of super sampling). I did measure my performance to be close to 45 fps several places, maybe a RTX 2080 Ti won't be enough, but it'll probably be close. Not sure if 32GB is completely wasted on this game, but it worked fine using 16GB though, but my rig has no programs running beside the Oculus software and Oculus Tray Tool. 

BTW, the glove textures are simply amazing, the gloves look like made of some kind of leather and check out the tiny thread - and the patina - there're nearly microscopic stains of dirt on the gloves, it simply looks real. The fighting sequences could be way better, but this is more an experience than a game - so I don't mind the more stiff fighting movements. When that first Imperial Star Destroyer arrived it was totally sharp, you could see all details or close - I don't think that would be possible without very high levels of super sampling, definitely not on the CV1. This is a very dark game, may not be great on a LCD - and it makes sense that people like the black levels much better on the Quest compared to the Rift-S (as described on Reddit). Black levels using CV1 were great, although OLED mura (SPUD) could be observed a few places. 

Ninja Theory, the team behind Hellblade, helped to create this experience:

"Creating a groundbreaking experience like Vader Immortal does not happen without the support of talented folks across our industry. In addition to screenwriter David S. Goyer and our friends at Oculus, we are proud to be working with Ninja Theory, an award-winning developer in the UK, and Epic Games, creators of Unreal Engine."

More info from the developers here: 
https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/vader-immortal-a-star-wars-vr-series-episode-i/

Hellblade is one of the most hardware demanding VR games, but it's also one of the most beautiful VR experiences ever created, it makes sense that Ninja Theory helped create another truly awesome VR experience.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

81 REPLIES 81

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

(Sorry - couldn't help it, my bad humor - I haven't even started to really play Dojo :blush:) 

I just started playing the DoJo. It's the best part. Make sure to set it to 360. 

And they do try and attack you from behind. There is a sound cue. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Wildt
Consultant
You may now address me...

SITH LORD!

uxcorhcpva14.gif
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Wildt
Consultant
I might add that some of the rounds are totally random. If the small flying droids all spawn far away from you, and attack slowly, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get 3 stars. But but if they spawn close, you can get lucky and get a 6-7 droid kill streak in a few seconds, making it doable. 

For me it was a big issue with round 9 and to some extend with round 24 and 29.

A small tip is that often you can actually attack and kill the saber droid that's in the center front position, even when it isn't attacking you. Just be careful not to step out of your bounds, or you'll be disqualified.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Luciferous
Consultant
I downloaded this last night on my cv1 and Was really impressed. Would have loved a blaster though and a few firefights with storm troupers in the corridors.

Error-401
Explorer
First game I purchased for my rift s, to be honest it was way too dark to see whats happening. I read about a fix I saw on reddit last night, going to try it later 🙂
PC: Intel Core i9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 16GB | MSI RTX 2080 Ventus | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe | SilverStone SX700-LPT | GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi | SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

You may now address me...

SITH LORD!

uxcorhcpva14.gif

Awesome - especially after you failed so many times but refused to give up - come to think of it, another quote may be appropriate o:)

Billedresultat for succeed yoda quote

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Error-401
Explorer
Hi resolved the issue with darkness (however can not take credit for it, found it on reddit after some searching)
If you go to this folder location on your computer: (copy location below and right click windows icon, select run, paste, hit enter)
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\WKND\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\
Then make a backup of the file Engine.ini (just make a copy of it in the same folder), then open Engine.ini in notepad go to the end and paste the following
[/Script/Engine.Engine]
DisplayGamma=3.5
Click File/Save and thats it, apparantly that number can be increased or decreased to change the level, however that level worked great for me. Hope that helps anyone else, cheers !
PC: Intel Core i9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 16GB | MSI RTX 2080 Ventus | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe | SilverStone SX700-LPT | GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi | SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star

@ElusiveMarlin

I figured it out how to get this game keep running. I tried another USB-Port for my Rift S an voila: i could play Vader Immortal twice to it's end. It's worth a try on your side. 🙂

What a fun to have a really impressive made lightsaber. Especially the rumble effects on the controllers are fantastic. Have you stabed the lightsaber into a wall? The feeling of some sort of material-resistance when i try to move my lightsaber inside the wall is very impressive.

I can't wait for episode 2. Hopefully with some Sith-Enemies to fight.

Hey @MrAnderson96543 ...Thanks for the tipoff, and guess what, it worked for me too!

Wow that is such a fun experiance. a little dark in places, but such good fun. I too am hopeful for a blaster fight in Ep. 2!!

I'm going to be showing this to everyone now instead of First Contact, which by the way is soooo much more detailed on the Rift S!   Getting up close the the 3D printer, and you can actually see internal workings and water stains on the glass where it would have been wiped clean!!  I'm pretty certain I did not see that in CV1.

One thing I would have liked is a more natural method of climbing ladders.  it is a little immersion breaking to just grab the first rung and then just appear at the top of the ladder.  It was perfectly implemented in Lone Echo, so it can be done.

Thanks again.

Keeping my S now after the latest patch release. 🙂

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Finally got around to trying this, and to be honest I wasn't expecting that much from it going in, but wow! Yes! Pleasantly surprised to say the least. A real top notch quality experience, easily one of the best yet. Even the lightsaber dojo is very good, and having tried similar lightsaber type things before, this is easily the best. Well, you'd hope that wouldn't you, what with it being official Star Wars and all.

Going forward, yes a few blaster fights would be cool, but what I really want is to have a high speed X-Wing vs Tie Fighter dogfight, either in a space battle above a planet or zooming along at high speeds across a planet surface (thats no planet!).

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star

One thing I would have liked is a more natural method of climbing ladders.  it is a little immersion breaking to just grab the first rung and then just appear at the top of the ladder.  It was perfectly implemented in Lone Echo, so it can be done.

Just found the option in settings, if you disable the default mode of ladder climb, then you can do full "rung-by-rung" ladder climbing! 🙂
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."