New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

If you DON'T experience static flashes please tell us what is your setup.

Personally, I experience static flashes every 5-6 mins.
If you DON't experience static flashes please give us as much detail as possible about your machine so we further narrow down the problem.

If you DON'T experience static flashes please tell us what is your setup. 129 votes

I DON't experience static flashes
6%
MorgrumStevie777Ztreakjezbeallsteue79aLargeSnailstehilton94bigeasy80SenpaiKnows 9 votes
I experience static flashes
93%
MnemonicKnutsiVRTV-twitchImeleonCedBuhoneroFangzhouJohnGBSimGamerNerdhashcheckCenobytesnowdogntwigbelsMPiresnetshamanvfragosMowTinChicoMickLouisStevensrVRclosetbonovoice 120 votes

Comments

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    It's a hardware issue, that OCULUS needs to fix. This vote you want...this thread, just serves to imply it's  something on the users end. No...no no no no. No thank you.
    I imagine if they never end up fixing it, they'll be in for a class action law suit too.
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Likely it's a hardware issue. This poll can help to show that if no one has a working setup.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Bit pointless fella, Oculus are aware of this issue and attempting to fix 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Brain Burst
    Techy111 said:
    Maybe so, but I'm fed up trying to debug this issue and reinstalling Windows 5 times in the path 30 days. In the country where I live Rift S is worth $600. When I pay retail price for a product I don't expect to be beta testing it for months. So excuse me while I vent.
  • aLargeSnailaLargeSnail Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Pretty sure I am not experiencing them, but maybe I am and I just dont know what they look like. Can someone describe what they look like.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 30
    Pretty sure I am not experiencing them, but maybe I am and I just dont know what they look like. Can someone describe what they look like.
    They look like this and appear for only a fraction of a second. They can be entirely white or multicolor.

Brain Burst
    Ok, jezbeall and aLargeSnail, could you please tell us what your setup is like? Could you please run msinfo32 and share the output? You can run msinfo32 by going Win+R and typing msinfo32.
    3Jane
    Techy111 said:
    Maybe so, but I'm fed up trying to debug this issue and reinstalling Windows 5 times in the path 30 days. In the country where I live Rift S is worth $600. When I pay retail price for a product I don't expect to be beta testing it for months. So excuse me while I vent.
    Why would you do that? lmao. It's not your system. It's a issue with the Rift S's firmware...or hardware. 
  • aLargeSnailaLargeSnail Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Ok, jezbeall and aLargeSnail, could you please tell us what your setup is like? Could you please run msinfo32 and share the output? You can run msinfo32 by going Win+R and typing msinfo32.
    I just started getting the static flashes as soon as I downloaded PTC. I had no issues on the stable build. I am almost certain this issue is NOT hardware. I have high hopes in Oculus patching it. Just be patient until then, the flashes aren't the end of the world. If you think they are, buy a different HMD.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 30
    Techy111 said:
    Why would you do that? lmao. It's not your system. It's a issue with the Rift S's firmware...or hardware. 
    If it is hardware, how do you explain none of the influencers reported this problem before release? I challenge you to find a reviewer that warned about these static flashes. Did Oculus tell them this issue would be fixed by release? 

At this point I have spent more hours troubleshooting the Rift S than playing the Rift S.
    3Jane
    Right? Are you done beating your head on the wall? It's not your system, it's the Rift S.
  • jezbealljezbeall Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 30
    No issues on my PC and laptop
    PC:
    Windows 10 Enterprise 17763
    2 x GTX1070ti 
    64GB RAM
    2 x Xeon E5-2690

Laptop:
    Windows 10 Enterprise 18362
    Aorus RTX2070 eGPU
    8Gb RAM
    i7-8565U

Ive even had it running on my 2017 Macbook Pro with bootcamp and eGPU without the issue in this thread 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    3Jane
    edited June 30
    I doubt that. A lot.
  • jezbealljezbeall Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 30
    What? I dont know why I bothered taking the time to even post or participate in the poll with a reply like that. 
    Why even make a poll if you wont listen or acknowledge peoples votes?
    I wont make that mistake in the future
    Brain Burst
    jezbeall said:
    What? I dont know why I bothered taking the time to even post or participate in the poll with a reply like that. 
    Why even make a poll if you wont listen or acknowledge peoples votes?
    I wont make that mistake in the future
    Thank you for your replay jezbeall. Comic_Book_Guy isn't the person who created the poll. I did. 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,729 Valuable Player
    Maybe the wildcard is the number of USB devices you have plugged in? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • hobinmhobinm Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    one thing I wonder is if it something too do with the display adapters. I'm using the mini display adapter  that came with the rift s. and get the staic flash at random. oddly tho it only happens once or twice real quick a few min after starting a game and after the flash some times 2  i'll go for hours playing the game and never see a flash again until I exit  and start a new game.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 1
    I just started getting the static flashes as soon as I downloaded PTC. I had no issues on the stable build. I am almost certain this issue is NOT hardware. I have high hopes in Oculus patching it. Just be patient until then, the flashes aren't the end of the world. If you think they are, buy a different HMD.
    For me the flashes are deal breaker. I'm willing to be patient but It's already been a month. I have an open ticket with Oculus support concerning this. They've asked me to be patient but if a fix doesn't come soon I made clear I will be getting a refund.
    My suspicion is that Oculus rushed the Rift S out the door to beat the valve index to the punch line when the Rift S wasn't ready to release. 
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 151
    Art3mis

Sara (Oculus Support)

Jul 1, 4:50 PM PDT

Hello Ross,

Upon further review of the symptoms that you are experiencing with your Rift S headset, it appears that this is a known issue and would not be resolved with a replacement headset cable.

Our teams are actively working on a firmware update/fix for this issue, and it should be resolved with an update in the near feature.

Please let me know if you have any concerns regarding this.

Best regards,

Sara
    Oculus Support

This reply received today from Oculus after many tests. As you can see they do help, and now we need to wait for the updates necessary to resolve the problem.

• stehilton94stehilton94 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    No issues here

EVGA GTX 1080
    i7 8700k
    32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
    3 Monitors attached with the Oculus Rift S in my DP
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2
    jezbeall said:
    No issues on my PC and laptop
    PC:
    Windows 10 Enterprise 17763
    2 x GTX1070ti 
    64GB RAM
    2 x Xeon E5-2690

Laptop:
    Windows 10 Enterprise 18362
    Aorus RTX2070 eGPU
    8Gb RAM
    i7-8565U

Ive even had it running on my 2017 Macbook Pro with bootcamp and eGPU without the issue in this thread 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Interesting, any particular reason you are using an older version of Windows 10? Build 17763 is version 1809 (November 13, 2018)?
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    I have used many builds of Windows 10 1803, 1809 and 1903 still have white static flashes. This really the only remaining problem this has to be corrected.
    Oculus should make a official announcement that there addressing the issue.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2
    Wow! I actually found a reviewer that was honest enough to mention the static flashes. I guess reviewers are not all shills. Imagine my shock! Man I wish I discovered this reviewer before I bought my Rift S.

Brain Burst
    I have used many builds of Windows 10 1803, 1809 and 1903 still have white static flashes. This really the only remaining problem this has to be corrected.
    Oculus should make a official announcement that there addressing the issue.
    Totally agree, Oculus needs to come out and publicly acknowledge this issue. Customer support will only tell you its a known issue after you create a ticket. That's baloney!!
    Maybe if we make enough noise they will say something publicly.
    Tweet @oculus Fix the static flashes!!
    Vote here: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/37852864-fix-static-flashes
    Click Help Center > Provide Feedback
    Comment on their facebook.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,729 Valuable Player
    I notice when I jiggle the cord I get colorful static. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    Brain Burst
    edited July 3
    Even reviewers that gave the Rift S a good review initially are returning their unit now. ROFL.

• ZtreakZtreak Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I have no issues at all.

My setup is:

Mobo: Msi z390-a pro
    Gpu : Msi RTX 2080 Gaming X
    Cpu: i5 9600k
    Ram: 16 GB
    Psu: 750W

BUT... i did have issues with the inital setup. That was due to my windows username having an "è" in it. Making a new local user admin account with only common letters and running the oculus software from there fixed my problems. 

I also of now of several others that have fixed their problem with this solution. 
  • vfragosvfragos Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    MowTin said:
    Same here.
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    MowTin said:
    I tried jiggling the cord near the headset and I don't get any static flashes when I do that. I only get 2-3 random static flashes per hour during seated play. I would recommend you contact support to see if they are willing to send you a replacement cable to be safe. I got a replacement cable from Oculus support and it didn't make any difference.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 913
    3Jane
    With the 2nd Rift S I do have very random flashes, considerably less than the first.  Would be nicer still to have none...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)