cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no summer sale for Quest ?

FeroxD
Protege
Hello, I saw that Oculus add the new summer sale for Rift and GO. But why they don't add some sails for Quest?
https://www.oculus.com/blog/cool-off-with-the-oculus-summer-sale/?locale=en_US
Also, not a lot of creators support Rift and Quest,  and you should need to buy one app two times but why??
61 REPLIES 61

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I am no developer... but neither are you by the sounds of it.
I can definitely imagine it IS hard to create as close as possible an experience on the quest as on a PC.
When a PC could be running £1000+ hardware and the quest has to rely on mid range mobile phone hardware.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant

FeroxD said:

Hello, I saw that Oculus add the new summer sale for Rift and GO. But why they don't add some sails for Quest?
https://www.oculus.com/blog/cool-off-with-the-oculus-summer-sale/?locale=en_US
Also, not a lot of creators support Rift and Quest,  and you should need to buy one app two times but why??

Hmmmm..... Quest is brand new and it's selling like hot cakes.  I'd venture a guess....  Since the goal of a corporation is to always maximize profits, I'd assume they figured they didn't need to put quest games on sale because they'd still sell. Rift S is new but it's not their main focus, it feels like it's here to appease the early adopters of CV1.

As for software or what you youngins call "Apps".  That decision is entirely up to the developers of the software title you are interested in.  I assume that those devs want compensation for doing the work required to port their titles over to the new device because there isn't a "Make it work on quest" button that they can just click and everything works, they have to do work.  So, you should address that complaint to whatever studio is developing the game that you don't want to have to pay for.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay for the game again on quest.  It would be like demanding Capcom gives you a free copy of Street Fighter 2 on the Sega Genesis simply because you bought a copy on the SNES. (Sorry for the dated references, but I still think people get the idea)  Capcom would be completely justified in telling you to go pound sand.

falken76
Expert Consultant

FeroxD said:

Yes, it's true, but remake games it's not hard from PC to mobile. All controllers from Rift, RiftS are the same for the quest. Like you press the trigger button and its calls for all those devices. And that inputs will work with your own headset.

Interesting, what software have you made that demonstrates how very easy and simple this is?  Sounds more like someone that's never programmed a thing in their life making the wild assumption that everything is easy because it all looks so similar.

FeroxD
Protege

I am no developer... but neither are you by the sounds of it.
I can definitely imagine it IS hard to create as close as possible an experience on the quest as on a PC.
When a PC could be running £1000+ hardware and the quest has to rely on mid range mobile phone hardware.

I'm a developer and you can create a project (Unity/Unreal) and package your reproject for different platforms PC, Mobile, consoles and etc. And now phones are powerful.

FeroxD
Protege
I'm UE4 developer creator VR Manager for UE4 Marketplace:
https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/slug/mobile-vr-manager
And i know it's not very hard. You can check my work and that product for mobile VR and i made it for all mobile VR devices except Quest I'm still developing the project.

falken76
Expert Consultant

FeroxD said:

Zenbane said:

it's unfair to have great discounts on one device and not on a niche.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is unfair. Besides, it could also be a matter of "timing." Oculus is likely waiting to run their Quest sales at a different time. You are whining over your lack of patience.

I
really I am now upset by buying a quest, no discounts, not a lot of
games, and you need to buy games two times for rift and again for the
quest.

The number of games on Quest is quite small, and they even give free demo's (e.g Journey of the Gods). The games really aren't that expensive $10-$30 so if you can't afford that then yeah, you probably should not have bought the Quest. In fact, I have no idea what you would buy. I've seen the prices for Nintendo Switch, XBox, and PlayStation games, and they are often significantly more.

Also, Rift and Quest do support Cross-Buy. There is plenty of info out there on how it works. You can also contact Oculus Support to assist with this.

Hmm now AAA games price is 30-60$ (witcher, metro, cyberpunk and etc for PC). And that's games impressive, here i wanted to buy 3-6 games but with some discounts, and they add sales except for Quest and GearVR..

Your AAA games will come to quest once the developers are comfortable with the demographics.  Once they're on board the games they produce will certainly be in that $30 - $60 range to cover their hundred million dollar budgets.  As it is, the entire demographic of VR.  PSVR, PCVR, Mobile is so small, AAA studios have no interest, they won't make their ROI, it would be a loss so they won't make them until a HUGE amount of headsets sell, we're talking over 10 million at least.  There's a reason those games are more expensive, they cost a ton of money to develop and publish.  You want sales?  Sell your quest and buy a PC VR headset, THEN sign up on Steam, they put a lot of stuff on sale and steam performs perfectly fine for almost everyone using this, there are a few with issues, but the majority have no problems.

Here's a shocker for you, the majority of games on these devices are made by indie developers.  This is the landscape where classics like Counterstrike were created, current titles like this are Onward and Pavlov (Both of which are coming to your quest).

FeroxD
Protege
Also, i develop VR project from PC to Quest and no fells changes except visual shaders compile, lighting for mobile. But that's all from differences. Quest is powerful and now mobile devices can launch heavier projects, near PC.

FeroxD
Protege

falken76 said:

FeroxD said:

Zenbane said:

it's unfair to have great discounts on one device and not on a niche.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is unfair. Besides, it could also be a matter of "timing." Oculus is likely waiting to run their Quest sales at a different time. You are whining over your lack of patience.

I
really I am now upset by buying a quest, no discounts, not a lot of
games, and you need to buy games two times for rift and again for the
quest.

The number of games on Quest is quite small, and they even give free demo's (e.g Journey of the Gods). The games really aren't that expensive $10-$30 so if you can't afford that then yeah, you probably should not have bought the Quest. In fact, I have no idea what you would buy. I've seen the prices for Nintendo Switch, XBox, and PlayStation games, and they are often significantly more.

Also, Rift and Quest do support Cross-Buy. There is plenty of info out there on how it works. You can also contact Oculus Support to assist with this.

Hmm now AAA games price is 30-60$ (witcher, metro, cyberpunk and etc for PC). And that's games impressive, here i wanted to buy 3-6 games but with some discounts, and they add sales except for Quest and GearVR..

Your AAA games will come to quest once the developers are comfortable with the demographics.  Once they're on board the games they produce will certainly be in that $30 - $60 range to cover their hundred million dollar budgets.  As it is, the entire demographic of VR.  PSVR, PCVR, Mobile is so small, AAA studios have no interest, they won't make their ROI, it would be a loss so they won't make them until a HUGE amount of headsets sell, we're talking over 10 million at least.  There's a reason those games are more expensive, they cost a ton of money to develop and publish.  You want sales?  Sell your quest and buy a PC VR headset, THEN sign up on Steam, they put a lot of stuff on sale and steam performs perfectly fine for almost everyone using this, there are a few with issues, but the majority have no problems.

Here's a shocker for you, the majority of games on these devices are made by indie developers.  This is the landscape where classics like Counterstrike were created, current titles like this are Onward and Pavlov (Both of which are coming to your quest).

Seasonal discounts are not made by the developers but by the owners of the games platforms..

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

FeroxD said:

I'm UE4 developer creator VR Manager for UE4 Marketplace:
https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/slug/mobile-vr-manager
And i know it's not very hard. You can check my work and that product for mobile VR and i made it for all mobile VR devices except Quest I'm still developing the project.

How often do you have a sale on the product you have made if you don't mind me asking, and how long has it been available?

FeroxD
Protege
Summer sales it's from Epics time, and i can add not a lot times(less 70 days) for 1-2 weeks with my percentage. But we speak about Oculus now.