cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no summer sale for Quest ?

FeroxD
Protege
Hello, I saw that Oculus add the new summer sale for Rift and GO. But why they don't add some sails for Quest?
https://www.oculus.com/blog/cool-off-with-the-oculus-summer-sale/?locale=en_US
Also, not a lot of creators support Rift and Quest,  and you should need to buy one app two times but why??
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I'm disappointed that there is no Summer Sale for the Quest. Even for the developers, from my experience you sell so many more copies when you are on sale that it typically is when you make the most money. And developers set their own discounts and opt into sales. Nobody is forced to go on sale. If you are Beat Saber and raking it in, then maybe you don't want to participate. But if you are a smaller title that is struggling to get attention it's an opportunity.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

FeroxD said:

I'm a developer and you can create a project (Unity/Unreal) and package your reproject for different platforms PC, Mobile, consoles and etc. And now phones are powerful.

It doesn't work the same way for VR. You haven't done it before, you're just guessing. I'm a developer too, and I know the difference between porting and building to platforms. You don't seem to know that difference. You seem to rely in Checkbox Options in a menu. That doesn't make you a developer.

Here's a more informational quote:
Long story short: You can't port.
You have to redo pretty much all the assets.
The big reason is "draw calls". It's about +1000 on PC, and about 150 on Quest.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bhpeim/hey_devs_is_porting_from_rift_to_quest_difficult/

FeroxD
Protege

Zenbane said:

FeroxD said:

I'm a developer and you can create a project (Unity/Unreal) and package your reproject for different platforms PC, Mobile, consoles and etc. And now phones are powerful.

It doesn't work the same way for VR. You haven't done it before, you're just guessing. I'm a developer too, and I know the difference between porting and building to platforms. You don't seem to know that difference. You seem to rely in Checkbox Options in a menu. That doesn't make you a developer.

Here's a more informational quote:
Long story short: You can't port.
You have to redo pretty much all the assets.
The big reason is "draw calls". It's about +1000 on PC, and about 150 on Quest.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bhpeim/hey_devs_is_porting_from_rift_to_quest_difficult/

Create full new game needs more time than take one VR Project and remakes it (and with all the same inputs in the controller). And about draw calls do you use LOD? Know what is that? Or reduce texture sizes? Or it's harder to optimize worked project than create full new? I think you work in Oculus and you support Oculus in the community part.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

FeroxD said:I think you work in Oculus and you support Oculus in the community part.

I don't think you work.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

FeroxD said:

I am no developer... but neither are you by the sounds of it.
I can definitely imagine it IS hard to create as close as possible an experience on the quest as on a PC.
When a PC could be running £1000+ hardware and the quest has to rely on mid range mobile phone hardware.

cool.... but that said.... given quest has just come out, how would you feel about being expected to fire sale an app you had put potentally over a year in after it has been released for only a handful of weeks.
I fully expect quest sales, but totally get that now is a little soon, both from the point of vew of developers and also from the view of making day  1 buyers feel they got ripped off after such a short period of time.
Just look at the recent epic sale for instance and the stance many devs took against it, actually pulling their software from sale for the duration of the sale.

and that was with epic taking the hit on the cost and the devs would have got the full money.... but they were afraid a sale on brand new software, even if it was epic taking the hit, reflected poorly on the value of the RRP
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Exactly @bigmike20vt - It's like someone telling the OP to put his work straight on sale after just a few weeks. I'm sure he'd be pleased to do that - NOT.

FeroxD
Protege

RedRizla said:

Exactly @bigmike20vt - It's like someone telling the OP to put his work straight on sale after just a few weeks. I'm sure he'd be pleased to do that - NOT.

Yes, but they can make not big discounts, and not simply do not make a downgrade for a Quest device. And there will also be project advertisement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FeroxD said:

I really I am now upset by buying a quest, no discounts, not a lot of games, and you need to buy games two times for rift and again for the quest.

The devs spend numerous hours creating the game for the Rift, then they have to spend just as many hours to create the game all over again for the Quest. If they decide to give you a copy for the Quest for free because you own it on the Rift, that's up to them, but shouldn't be expected. Did Sony give a free copy of a game ported to PSP that someone already bought for PS2?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

FeroxD said:

Yes, but they can make not big discounts

Or you can make not big changes to your expectations.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just come out, which is why