cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't wait for the collective Nerd Rage when Valve ditch Lighthouse tracking in favour of inside out tracking for the Index 2. It's going to be hilarious  😛

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Large FOV Rune? You sure about that. 

Good point - some experience a larger FOV, some don't. I get the impression it depends on your ability to dial in the lenses. If you don't dial in the lenses it seems FOV is similar to CV1.

From what I read, Valve said the Index has similar actual rendered FOV (at least horizontal) as the Vive. The whole thing about more FOV is because most people couldn't see the full FOV of a Vive (due to eye relief, etc), whereas more people can see the full (or near full) FOV of the Index.

The FOV rendered by the GPU for Index is similar to that of a Vive or
Vive Pro, but more of that view is delivered to most users.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The is an excellent overview of the situation and its reasons regarding the Valve Index controller issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZZ5OQYYHY
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

pyroth309
Visionary

Evileyes said:

Indeed I am, I did some serious testing last night.. and I can confirm, the Vive Pro is better in every way (except how it looks)

Interesting. I've never used a Vive Pro but yea, pairing it with the 2.0 light house would be the way to go. Also for the record my Light Houses are silent too. 

I tried to play Archangel and once I got into the Mech it was great...but the whole train scene with the boy...the glare of the train lights was distracting me. I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine and go for a Reverb or Pimax or something with 2.0 light house. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Greater FOV was one of my main reasons for wanting the index. Would like to try one out before purchasing.

Hoping like the Rift S issues, a lot may get fixed / improved down the road. 

If the FOV is not that great an increase then I can see myself getting Reverb (once they fix their issues) and Index Controllers.

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

I can't wait for the collective Nerd Rage when Valve ditch Lighthouse tracking in favour of inside out tracking for the Index 2. It's going to be hilarious  😛

If it tracks as good as Lighthouse I don't think anyone would care. Personally, I'm not against inside out (head mounted), I'm tired of glitchy tracking and that's all I've experienced thus far with it. I can't move like I want to in games like beat saber, or grab things off my belt like I want. I have to play with my tracking in mind instead of just playing. When head mounted inside out can deliver that, I'm on board. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Well, except that Lighthouse IS inside out tracking. 🙂

But yeah, if they go for camera based inside out instead of beam sweep inside out, things will be interesting.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Like Evertec said in his thoughts the Reverb simply impresses once you try it, it's such a visual increase over current devices. These resolution half-measures don't give you the same wow factor. I think it's easy to initially be impressed with advanced finger tracking, high Hz (at lesser visual quality) and nice off-ear sound, but then when the dust settles the display is still not where it should be. You're effectively playing with an over-priced improved version of last gen hardware which Oculus and others are moving away from with insight tracking. After all is said and done, my Index reserve slot next month might get dashed if I get another Reverb which is looking more likely now.

Long live the Quest.

I agree, I also want higher resolution displays now that I have a Geforce 2080ti, but lots of people still have a 1080Ti or a 1080, which headsets like the Valve index can still cater for. I'm going to wait to see how much the HTC Cosmos costs now. I'm thinking if it's £699 or less I might purchase that VR headset. I think it will be more like £799 though and at that price I won't be getting it.
I'm also looking at picking up a Reverb just for my sims, but only because I have a Geforce 2080Ti. I've read that even a Geforce 1080Ti can struggle on the Reverb and that a 2080Ti is just capable of pushing the frames need for the high resolution. That would make sense given a Geforce 1080 is good for Rift S and that the Reverb is nearly double the resolution of Rift S.
If the HP Cosmos cost a lot of money then I might just pick up the Rift S again when all the problems are sorted out. I've heard the tracking is fixed on Rift S, so it's just the blank screens some are experiencing that I want to hear are fixed now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes tracking is quite good in 1.39 of the Oculus Software.

Luciferous
Consultant
I would have to wait a bit before I was happy with the tracking reports. People have come from bloody awful tracking, so quite good could be subjective. 

How quite good compares to sensor tracking is another thing.

If your hands are out of the headset view then its just guessing where they are no matter how clever it gets.