cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light reflection/faded colour in center of vision

jmstoker95
Protege
Up until a few days ago, my oculus quest was very clear. However, yesterday when in the lobby, i notice that the colour in the center of the vision is faded. I think it looks similar to god rays but always in the center of vision. It is worst in the lobby when looking at the buildings outside to the left. If i adjust the headset up or down the faded area moves up and down. This makes me think the problem is on the lense, but im not sure.

At first i thought it was a smudge, so i bought a micro fiber cloth but that didn't solve the problem. Ive tried adjusting the idp and adjusting the headset up and down and that doesnt solve the problem either. 

In games with lots of light it isnt that noticable. But im games like vader immortal where there is lots of dark areas its very noticible and ruins the experience quite a lot.

I have looked on the lenses and there do not appear to be any scratches. I have made sure that there is never any direct sunlight hitting the lenses.

This is my first vr headset so i am unsure what the problem is. If you could help me figure out what is wrong/broken, i can decide what to do next.
14 REPLIES 14

jmstoker95
Protege
Maybe another way to describe the problem is that it seems like there is light reflecting back off the screen in the center

jmstoker95
Protege
My friend checkes it out and would describe it as "glare in the center of the screen"

Nekto2
Superstar
Could it be direct electro light hitting the lens?
They are not as powerful as sunlight. But they could make some harm on long exposure.

jmstoker95
Protege
It could be. The lamp was on and it could have been that. The problem is i am not sure what sort of impact light damage would have when in the vr? I cant find many descriptions of this

darthmiike
Honored Guest
I have the same thing on my quest centre of the screen looks like light is being reflected from the screens back into the lens to create a lens flare like effect, I also noticed that the colour of the lens flare effect can change depending on what you are looking at in apex whilst looking at an orange light the light in the centre appeared orange but whilst in the home lobby menu it looks more white.

really not sure if this is normal or a defect 

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you used the microfiber cloth, did you check to see there wasn't a scuff mark? My Rift had that from trying to wear glasses...luckily it was still within Microsoft store's 30 day return policy, so I got a new one. But...I had to use a flashlight and a magnifying glass to actually see the scuff. Moving the headset around in your hands just makes the lenses reflect all over the place, and not so easy to see the scuffs. They were so damn tiny though, but in the perfect spot to mess everything up.

Not saying that's what you're experiencing, but worth a closer look.

Serpula
Protege
Have you or has someone else scratched the middle of the lens with glasses?

jmstoker95
Protege

I have the same thing on my quest centre of the screen looks like light is being reflected from the screens back into the lens to create a lens flare like effect, I also noticed that the colour of the lens flare effect can change depending on what you are looking at in apex whilst looking at an orange light the light in the centre appeared orange but whilst in the home lobby menu it looks more white.

really not sure if this is normal or a defect 

This sounds exactly like my problem. My friend described it as "god rays that are always there in the center of the screen. At least ots difficult to see most of the time

jmstoker95
Protege

Serpula said:

Have you or has someone else scratched the middle of the lens with glasses?

Hmm no one has tried it with glasses