cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Luciferous
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

Well, I've been overruled lol. My wife wanted to try the Index so I let her this morning. While she was halfway through I told her that I was returning it. She took the headset off and goes why would you do that? This one is much better than your other headsets. I said because of the damn glare. She said "what glare?"  I just shook my head...So I'm off to cancel my return ticket lol. Oh well, I'll just upgrade the HMD with the Reverb or something else down the line and keep this one too. 

I played again after she did for a a couple of hours this morning and while the glare is still there for me, I think I can deal with it since she likes it so much. 

See now I am thinking I could live with the glare, for the overall HMD improvements. Might just wait for a little more dust to settle.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Well, I've been overruled lol. My wife wanted to try the Index so I let her this morning. While she was halfway through I told her that I was returning it. She took the headset off and goes why would you do that? This one is much better than your other headsets. I said because of the damn glare. She said "what glare?"  I just shook my head...So I'm off to cancel my return ticket lol. Oh well, I'll just upgrade the HMD with the Reverb or something else down the line and keep this one too. 

I played again after she did for a a couple of hours this morning and while the glare is still there for me, I think I can deal with it since she likes it so much. 

See now I am thinking I could live with the glare, for the overall HMD improvements. Might just wait for a little more dust to settle.

Not many complain about the glare, sure it's mentioned on Valve Index Reddit, but it doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to many. Main problems may be noisy lighthouses, faulty thumbsticks, dead pixels, problems fitting in glasses and tech problems preventing people from using the Index - but not really the glare. Seems like more complain about the grayish blacks than the glare. Just went through a lot of "pro" reviews (websites, YouTube), in general these reviewers don't seem too bothered by the glare (Ben Lang mentioned it, but still considers Index state of the art) - but then again, no one picked up the broken thumbsticks, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:
Not many complain about the glare, sure it's mentioned on Valve Index Reddit, but it doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to many.

I'm seeing the opposite on Facebook's VR group. The glare is probably the biggest criticism I see, and mentioned often during returns.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm waiting till October before I decide what to do. I want to hear what Oculus has to say and wait to see if they are going to cater for people with higher end graphics cards. If they had just stuck a higher resolution display in the Rift S and called it a Rift S pro, then I would have purchased it. I have a Geforce 2080ti now and I don't want the low resolution of the Rift S when my card is capable of higher resolutions. It's like me purchasing a 1080p monitor for my Geforce 2080ti instead of the 4k television I just purchased for it.
It can't be that hard to stick a higher resolution display in a Rift S and give people with better graphics cards an incentive to get something called a Rift S pro. I understand they want to get more people into VR, but don't alienate gamers who have top of the range computers & graphics cards. These people spend money to get the best experience there is out there and it's in Oculus interest to give them something. By all means cater for the low to mid range computers to get people into VR, but for the love of god give something to those with a higher end computer.
Even HP with it's bad tracking but higher resolution display had a fair few people in here looking at it. I still intend getting one just because there's nothing out there with this resolution. Oculus don't even need to bump the resolution up as far as the HP Reverb, but for me it needs to be much higher then it is on Rift S now that I have a geforce 2080ti.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I'm waiting till October before I decide what to do. I want to hear what Oculus has to say and wait to see if they are going to cater for people with higher end graphics cards. If they had just stuck a higher resolution display in the Rift S and called it a Rift S pro, then I would have purchased it. I have a Geforce 2080ti now and I don't want the low resolution of the Rift S when my card is capable of higher resolutions. It's like me purchasing a 1080p monitor for my Geforce 2080ti instead of the 4k television I just purchased for it.
It can't be that hard to stick a higher resolution display in a Rift S and give people with better graphics cards an incentive to get something called a Rift S pro. I understand they want to get more people into VR, but don't alienate gamers who have top of the range computers & graphics cards. These people spend money to get the best experience there is out there and it's in Oculus interest to give them something. By all means cater for the low to mid range computers to get people into VR, but for the love of god give something to those with a higher end computer.
Even HP with it's bad tracking but higher resolution display had a fair few people in here looking at it. I still intend getting one just because there's nothing out there with this resolution. Oculus don't even need to bump the resolution up as far as the HP Reverb, but for me it needs to be much higher then it is on Rift S now that I have a geforce 2080ti.

I believe they did it to keep costs down for the $399 USD price tag. Anything else would have cost more. They said themselves, it's not a Rift 2.0, but an interim device.

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Not many complain about the glare, sure it's mentioned on Valve Index Reddit, but it doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to many. Main problems may be noisy lighthouses, faulty thumbsticks, dead pixels, problems fitting in glasses and tech problems preventing people from using the Index - but not really the glare. Seems like more complain about the grayish blacks than the glare. Just went through a lot of "pro" reviews (websites, YouTube), in general these reviewers don't seem too bothered by the glare (Ben Lang mentioned it, but still considers Index state of the art) - but then again, no one picked up the broken thumbsticks, lol. 

Well, it's not so much a deal breaker to me as it's more the principle of something that I think shouldn't exist in a $1k headset kit. I mean The HMD is $499 or something like that and it does have a lot of pros, especially the audio, but it's a significant tradeoff and doesn't really feel like it's worth the price of admission...to me. Add on the overpriced knuckles and yeaaaaa the value is bad compared to other headset options. But I mean, after fiddling with it, the headset is usable in games with glare and in games where the glare isn't visible it's actually pretty great. 

Some things that minimized the glare for me that you can try if someone else gets one. I used an IPD that is slightly wider than my own I noticed less glare with no negatives that I can detect. Also make sure the strap is low in the back as this has two benefits. It helps the audio sit right over your ears and it keeps the index firmly against your face. Tilting the headset even slightly caused blinding glare in high contrast scenes for me. Also I brought the lenses down a bit lower so my eyes are on the top side of the sweet spot. For me, the glare was worse on the bottom. Once I did all that it's mostly a pleasant experience. 

I had submitted a return ticket and was ready to send it back but when I saw how much enjoyment my wife got from it, I had to rescind as she hasn't had that much of a positive experience to previous headsets. So I'm back to just using this until something revolutionary comes out because while this is a good upgrade for the most part (minus the glare), it's definitely not a big leap. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Spuzzum said:

RedRizla said:

I believe they did it to keep costs down for the $399 USD price tag. Anything else would have cost more. They said themselves, it's not a Rift 2.0, but an interim device.

That's not the point I'm trying to make here. All Oculus needs to do is cater for both low/medium and highend computers is what I meant. I've already said I can understand why Oculus are catering for the low to mid range market and that's to get people into VR. What I said was don't alienate the people who have highend computers that are capable of running much higher resolution displays. If people are willing to spend £1000 plus on a graphics cards then they would pick up a Rift S pro with a higher resolution display instead of a HP Reverb.
The Rift S is currently £399 today. These Lcd display's don't cost a lot of money, so it wouldn't cost a lot to place a higher resolution screen in a Rift S and call it a Rift S pro. The HP Reverb had a lot of interest in it due to it's higher resolution display and that's because people with better computers have no other choices to look at. What is the point in me picking up a Rift S when I have a geforce 2080ti? I'm looking for a headset that has higher resolution displays now that I've upgraded. When I purchased the geforce 2080ti the first thing to go was my 1080p monitor for a 4k monitor, so it makes sense for me to look for a higher resolution headset too.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@pyroth309 - Thanks for you honest input about the Valve index. Sometimes people will say anything just to justify their purchase and I'm glad you have pointed out it's faults. You have saved me £920 because glare isn't something I like in a VR headset no matter how small it might be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Spuzzum said:

RedRizla said:

That's not the point I'm trying to make here. All Oculus needs to do is cater for both low/medium and highend computers is what I meant. I've already said I can understand why Oculus are catering for the low to mid range market and that's to get people into VR. What I said was don't alienate the people who have highend computers that are capable of running much higher resolution displays. If people are willing to spend £1000 plus on a graphics cards then they would pick up a Rift S pro with a higher resolution display instead of a HP Reverb.
The Rift S is currently £399 today. These Lcd display's don't cost a lot of money, so it wouldn't cost a lot to place a higher resolution screen in a Rift S and call it a Rift S pro. The HP Reverb had a lot of interest in it due to it's higher resolution display and that's because people with better computers have no other choices to look at. What is the point in me picking up a Rift S when I have a geforce 2080ti? I'm looking for a headset that has higher resolution displays now that I've upgraded. When I purchased the geforce 2080ti the first thing to go was my 1080p monitor for a 4k monitor, so it makes sense for me to look for a higher resolution headset too.

I have the exact same feelings on the direction they're going, but I'm waiting to see what they present at OC6. As I said, they said the Rift-S is an interim device...something to hold you over until the next 2.0 release. My point about trying to keep the $399 price tag was in response to you saying they could have used a higher resolution. That's exactly what Jason Rubin had said in an interview with Norm on Tested. They made comprimises to keep that $399 price point. That doesn't mean they're dropping high end vr though...just creating another tier in their lineup. As far as I knew, Half-Dome is still in the works.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Spuzzum - Yes, I also said I'm waiting to see what Oculus has to say at OC6. I currently own a CV1 and my next VR headset needs to be a better then Rift S now that I have a geforce 2080ti capable of higher resolution displays. If not I may just as well stick with my CV1 and get a HP Reverb for the higher resolution display.
So far 2019 has turned out to be a damp squib for me and these VR headsets. Lets hope OC6 has something good to come out of it.