cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I'm optimistic they aren't moving away from high end, but whatever they announce at OC6, wouldn't be released until spring time. Unfortunately. Personally, ever since getting my Quest...I haven't picked up my Rift. Mostly due the the fact I can actually wear my glasses in it, but also due to the fact you're untethered. No, the tracking isn't 100% of what the Rift does, but it's a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be. The graphics aren't as glossy, but they're good enough to enjoy the game still. Next generation Quest will be even better.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Spuzzum - The next patch for Oculus Quest should fix the tracking like it has on the Rift S. Obviously it's still in beta on the Rift S though and you have to opt into the beta.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

@Spuzzum - The next patch for Oculus Quest should fix the tracking like it has on the Rift S. Obviously it's still in beta on the Rift S though and you have to opt into the beta.

Actually, I meant the behind the back stuffs. As for the controller tracking though...there's some people who swear the issues in Beat Saber are due to 'momentary battery disconnects', from swinging so damn hard, it causes the battery to depress the spring on it's own. Some say this even happened with the Touch OG. Now someone's put tinfoil between the connections, and swears he hasn't had an issue since. Personally, it doesn't make sense, but then I didn't think IR lights in a dark room wouldn't interfere with the Quest's tracking either. Videos on Reddit prove me wrong...lol. 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Another review from Reddit, this dude has also owned CV1 and Rift-S:

Got my Index last weekend, got my Vive Pro this weekend.. a comparison

Headsets I've owned: DK2, CV1, Oculus S, Odyssey+, Vive, and now Index and Vive Pro.

I've been testing them back and forth:

Index

• Basically no SDE. Not as in the Odyssey+ "no SDE but everything is blurry", as in no SDE unless you're scrutinizing every subpixel.

• Clarity is astounding. High vertical FOV enhances the experience more than I expected. In the Hong Kong Penthouse Steam Home Environment I can see to the distant edge of the map's wallpaper and the illusion isn't broken. VTOL VR looks amazing.

• Decent headphones, but the off-ear design means you can hear stuff like your CPU fan going full tilt.

• LCD limits contrast and the screen isn't as bright as I'd hoped. As a result going into things like Google Earth Street View (my main use for the headset) it looks more like a computer screen vs. being there. Playing games like Space Pirate Trainer look nowhere near as good as I remembered on my Vive or CV1. Colors however aren't washed out though like others described. The screen is so sharp that it shows aliasing at times.

• Index controllers were a bit overhyped. I don't really feel it's a game changer compared to the Oculus controllers or Vive controllers I have.

• You can see the fresnel ring flares on both headsets. However I'm one of the ones who isn't bothered by them.

• I was one of the early adopters of 120hz screens on PC. I also nabbed the 120hz iPad Pros as soon as they came out. Sad to say I don't notice much of a difference going from 90hz HMDs to 120hz/144hz.

Vive Pro

• The high contrast and high brightness makes everything "pop". Street View in Google Earth VR makes me feel like I'm there. I think it's from a fake HDR effect created by the high contrast and high brightness. Space games are amazing. Way more presence in darker games. Horror games are scary, not so on Index. The Whale scene in The Blu on Vive Pro makes me go wow, on Index it's not as exciting.

• Everything looks smaller due to choice of lens. I have the Gear VR lens but haven't done the mod, probably won't since testing it I can tell it reduces FOV.

• Text is basically just as sharp as Index.

• SDE city. Going back and forth between the Index I can't help but to notice it. If you move your head around even in micromovements you don't notice it however.

• Reduced FOV. However this is easily fixed, I used the facial interface from the Gear VR and cut it up into 3 pieces. The horizontal FOV is now almost as good as the Index. The only downside is I can see the edges and middle of the screens now. But overall worth it.

• I had the original Vive a few years ago. Vive Pro controllers are the same but better than I remembered. The material is soft touch and nice. The only downside is the bulky tracking rings.

• Audio is worse. But it blocks out external noises since it sits on the ear.

Conclusion

They both have their own use cases. At this point I can't pick which one is better since they have so many different strengths and weaknesses. I'm keeping both.

P.S. To the reviewers who said the Oculus S screen is as good as Index -- what are you smoking?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c9p92n/got_my_index_last_weekend_got_my_vive_pro_this/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not sure I agree to all this Gen 1 vs Gen 2. In my mind:

Rift (CV1) = Gen1 HMD + Gen1 controllers (including tracking)
HTC Vive + Deluxe Audio Strap = Gen1 HMD + Gen1 controllers (including tracking)
Rift-S = Gen1 HMD (+for res, -for sound) + Gen1 controllers (using 1.39  tracking)
Odyssey+ = Gen2 HMD + Gen0.5 controllers (including tracking)
Vive Pro + Deluxe Audio Strap = Gen2 HMD + Gen1 controllers (including tracking)
Index = Gen2 HMD + Gen2 controllers (including tracking)
Reverb = Gen3 HMD + Gen0.5 controllers (including tracking)

Maybe we could calculate a new HMD + controllers value ((Gen HMD + Gen controllers)/2)... Then Reverb + Knuckles may be king of the hill... But Reverb may have the issue, like 144 Hz Index, of needing high-end "Gen 3"-hardware which barely exists today.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The term "Gen 2" gets thrown around quite terribly. I wonder what consumers are gonna do when a true Gen 2 comes out. Will they be calling it Gen 14 by then?

It seems that consumers are aging Generations in Dog Years; adding 7 versions to every 1 manufacturer release!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The bigger question is, is Rift S CV1, CV1.5 or CV 2? By definition it should really be regarded as the consumer version 2 but I am sure folks here consider it CV 1.5. 

😄 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

RedRizla said:

Spuzzum said:

RedRizla said:

I'm waiting till October before I decide what to do. I want to hear what Oculus has to say and wait to see if they are going to cater for people with higher end graphics cards. If they had just stuck a higher resolution display in the Rift S and called it a Rift S pro, then I would have purchased it. I have a Geforce 2080ti now and I don't want the low resolution of the Rift S when my card is capable of higher resolutions. It's like me purchasing a 1080p monitor for my Geforce 2080ti instead of the 4k television I just purchased for it.
It can't be that hard to stick a higher resolution display in a Rift S and give people with better graphics cards an incentive to get something called a Rift S pro. I understand they want to get more people into VR, but don't alienate gamers who have top of the range computers & graphics cards. These people spend money to get the best experience there is out there and it's in Oculus interest to give them something. By all means cater for the low to mid range computers to get people into VR, but for the love of god give something to those with a higher end computer.
Even HP with it's bad tracking but higher resolution display had a fair few people in here looking at it. I still intend getting one just because there's nothing out there with this resolution. Oculus don't even need to bump the resolution up as far as the HP Reverb, but for me it needs to be much higher then it is on Rift S now that I have a geforce 2080ti.

I believe they did it to keep costs down for the $399 USD price tag. Anything else would have cost more. They said themselves, it's not a Rift 2.0, but an interim device.

That's not the point I'm trying to make here. All Oculus needs to do is cater for both low/medium and highend computers is what I meant. I've already said I can understand why Oculus are catering for the low to mid range market and that's to get people into VR. What I said was don't alienate the people who have highend computers that are capable of running much higher resolution displays. If people are willing to spend £1000 plus on a graphics cards then they would pick up a Rift S pro with a higher resolution display instead of a HP Reverb.
The Rift S is currently £399 today. These Lcd display's don't cost a lot of money, so it wouldn't cost a lot to place a higher resolution screen in a Rift S and call it a Rift S pro. The HP Reverb had a lot of interest in it due to it's higher resolution display and that's because people with better computers have no other choices to look at. What is the point in me picking up a Rift S when I have a geforce 2080ti? I'm looking for a headset that has higher resolution displays now that I've upgraded. When I purchased the geforce 2080ti the first thing to go was my 1080p monitor for a 4k monitor, so it makes sense for me to look for a higher resolution headset too.

I have the exact same feelings on the direction they're going, but I'm waiting to see what they present at OC6. As I said, they said the Rift-S is an interim device...something to hold you over until the next 2.0 release. My point about trying to keep the $399 price tag was in response to you saying they could have used a higher resolution. That's exactly what Jason Rubin had said in an interview with Norm on Tested. They made comprimises to keep that $399 price point. That doesn't mean they're dropping high end vr though...just creating another tier in their lineup. As far as I knew, Half-Dome is still in the works.

Well technically I do not believe Oculus has ever stated the Rift S was to hold us over until their 2.0 release.
I am still in Oculus' camp very much enjoying my Rift S, but not holding out any hope for a new PC-VR device from them anytime in the near future. I hope I am surprised.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The bigger question is, is Rift S CV1, CV1.5 or CV 2? By definition it should really be regarded as the consumer version 2 but I am sure folks here consider it CV 1.5. 

Well Oculus themselves said that this was not a Rift 2.0, so not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Depending on who you ask, Rift-S is anything from a 0.5 to a 2.0
😮

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

@dburne -  They’re certainly hinting at big things this year, though,
telling us that “The future we’ve all been working towards starts here”, and
adding that this year will “begin a new chapter of virtual and augmented
reality.”

So what might this include?

They previously announced work on a “AAA first-person
combat” title for VR, and Oculus have confirmed that the project will be making
an appearance at Oculus Connect 6.

Hopefully it will be a Rift S Pro to give HTC Cosmos a run for it's money, or maybe just call it Rift 2 instead 😄