cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
In my latest email to support I decided to ask  the following after all:
"Have your devs given you any info as to what the issue is?"

Their (shortened) reply:
"...they are still working on the firmware update [...] when the fix is released, it will be sent via the Public Test Channel to let you now that you are enrolled. 'We are hoping to have it available in the near future' is all we have been told as they are still investigating."

That emphasis at the end was bolded by me.

Just pointing out that my hunch (see my earlier post above) was correct, which is why I'm not expecting this issue to be solved any time soon. But that's ok, and here's why.

Patience and persistence is the key here. I encourage all of you who are reading this, who haven't submitted your ticket yet, to do so. And also submit the zipped file that gets created by Oculus' logging software (there's an option to run it at the end of the ticket submission form).

Keep your tickets short and to the point - the more people escalate the issue to devs, the higher the priority it'll become, and better data they'll have to find/fix the issue.

But don't hog up their resources by writing out a drawn-out novel either - submit a ticket, provide the logs and remain calm. People in charge of a answering our tickets are simply doing their jobs. Don't treat anyone in a way you'd hate to be treated, and give time to devs to figure this out.

Remember, Rift S utilizes a ton of new, cutting-edge technology, and those of us who bought it are early adopters. So expect issues, like we expected them when CV1 was released. Remember how long it took to fix everything back then?

So let's stay calm, and be patient. This will get fixed, or we'll get our devices returned; no one is going to lose a buck here. Except maybe Oculus, who, as those of us who stay plugged into industry podcasts have heard a bunch of times already, isn't making much coin on the tech, if any. FB is pushing VR because they want to own a platform with most eyeballs... But that's beside the point - the point is that this is cutting edge technology made by a company branch that isn't very profitable, yet it's still committed to making the said technology available to the masses. And that takes patience on both sides.

If patience isn't an option for you, free to request a refund. But, again, please be civil to the ticket staff. They're people who are doing the best they can right now.

Totally agree, no reason to be aggressive or rude with support staff.

I hadn't opened a ticket thus far but I think, with the latest firmware update not addressing the issue, it's probably now time to do it. As you say @Comrade_Ivan it's something that will be needed in the event that this can't be fixed so good idea to have it in place.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
I agree with the above don't be rude with the support staff but be firm with them this is issue that should have been corrected before the item was released also Oculus should make a detail announcement with what's being done to address the problem.

hashcheck
Protege
I didn't get flashes at all today in virtual desktop after update but will test further

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
I have shut down my computer and restarted after the new Oculus  and firmware 1.8 update so far no static flashes after hour of game play will update post if this changes.
Update
False alarm the white flashes have returned.

Mnemonic
Protege
New firmware 1.8.0, flashes are there, didn't change anything for me

mashermets
Explorer
Same here 😞

Mnemonic
Protege
Wondering if this is something software fixable after all, for quite a while there was no update that would attempt to fix this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mnemonic said:

New firmware 1.8.0, flashes are there, didn't change anything for me

Same here

GamingTC2
Protege
Until today I also had the white flashes.  Many white flashes in project cars menu.
Then I turned off Gsync and changed image settings to "let 3d application decide".
Few hours later still no flashes in project cars menu. Before every minute in the menu and every half hour while playing project cars.
I will test further the next few days.izdlufbdh4g8.pngb72tmuhxkdlx.png