RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Rogan looks really awesome - launches July 5 in the Oculus Store and on Steam:

https://youtu.be/WgTvbaSPw1s

Available on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/966560/ROGAN_The_Thief_in_the_Castle/

and the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1668330116583564/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

34 REPLIES 34

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Thanks for posting that review @Wildt

This is why I avoided pre-ordering. Their trailer focused too much on the Cinematics and usually that is a sign that the gameplay may be lacking in an area. I think this part of the review says it all,
"Rogan’s brand of stealth is a little too streamlined to ever really feel
immediate, skilled or dangerous. It’s more like a walking simulator
with the occasional roadbump."

I'll wait until I can pick this up for around $10.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Saw this review on Steam:

"Pretty much a walking story. Charactor design is cool but the whole game looks like a blurry mess even on the high graphics settings (gtx 1080). Walk around the guards picking up loot for the 3 or 4 chapters got dull quick. Cant recomend this game at this expensive price. All the previews and screenshots of the game before it was released is what got me interested but its so damn blurry its unbearable."

Other Steam users also mentioned that image quality was like a PSVR blurry mess - but it's not on my CV1, image quality is really sharp and awesome, like I can see clearly 100 meters away or so - but I am using very high levels of super sampling. ASW 2.0 + high levels of super sampling may be the saviors of this game until (if ever) devs improve performance. And I didn't notice SDE on the CV1 🙂

Some VR user still don't know what Super Sampling is by the sounds of it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I liked this review from Steam:

"ROGAN: The Thief in the Castle is a decent looking game with basic stealth and detective mechanics.I am playing on a Oculus rift with a 1070 and experienced no issues through playing so far.

The game play reminds me much like the reboot of thief - proceed through the level while avoiding the enemies and picking up petty loot that you find along the way. Additionally there is 3 special pieces of loot to be found throughout each level which are hidden in more discrete parts of levels as you progress which adds a bit of replayablity.

Interaction with the world is just simply holding your hand over question marks to learn more information and grabbing specific objects.This is somewhat disappointing as it would be nice to be able to touch every item to use them to distract,block or harm enemies but it's not much of an issue.

Enemy detection is also quiet basic, it seems to be just line of sight based and its reasonably accurate ( if you poke your head through cracks in wooden walls they can see you) fortunately its quiet easy to move behind them without being seen or just hide in cover as enemies don't have any different states so they won't start looking for you. I believe this is because the game is linear in design so trying to avoid enemies hunting you down could prove to make the game quite difficult to evade from.But we have seen it work very well in budget cuts.

Pros:
+ great character and world design
+ very high quality motion capture 
+ simple but effective gameplay
+ good directional audio
+ good and unique UI

cons:
- voice acting is a bit poor and forced
- lacks modern vr gameplay mechanics ( all objects being able to be picked up,enemies being able to chase you)
- lacks music to add to immersion and atmosphere

Overall i would recommend this game but only at a cheaper price (£15). it provides stunning visuals and a interesting world but it falls short due to its linear story and a aged gameplay mechanics compared to other stealth VR titles.
7/10"

Most of the bad reviews are made by persons having played the game less than 1 hours, many even just 30 minutes or so. This is the only review from a person spending more than 2 hours in the game (on Steam) - it's also the only current review made using the Valve Index (as far as I've seen):

"So far the game looks beautiful and plays well.

-The set back is the cinematics take control of you, and feel out of reach. Later on in the game you are let loose a bit more. to make your own decisions.

-The looting is very much dumbed down, at least make it so the player has to put it on their own person. breaks immersion to have to put it in a floating orb in front of you.

-The graphics are a tad washed out, i think the game looks WAY better then most others do. but it doesnt quite justify the blurry looks.

-The hood UI has to either go, or be greatly reduced so its only visible slightly. its a nice touch, but annoying for potential viewers on desktop mode, and for the player.

-So far, 2.5 hours into the game (not sure how far that is) no killing weapons besides a throwing dagger that was clearly scripted in.

-The basic strategies so far is : throw item sneak passed
or Throw item hit guy with stick and take key. It gave me some nostalgic thief feelings too, but as for now. it does not YET earn the title of VR thief.

The reason for the positive review unlike many others, is that the game is very much playable, looks good and better then most games, already has quite the story layed out so far unlike ♥♥♥♥ tons of early acces games. and has a HUGE potential to become THIEF VR if done right.
So if you got the money to spare and can give it a go, i would suggest that.

If you are low on money and looking for a game to buy, dont do that just yet. maybe in the future
Sure hope the people are not done developing this yet.

Played with Valve Index.

Here have a small clip of me pretending to be a weapon to dodge an enemy:
https://clips.twitch.tv/HotDepressedWaspRalpherZ "

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

R3df0x_Qc
Explorer

- lacks music to add to immersion and atmosphere

No, no and no. To have the best experience, you have to turn off the music. We're not in a movie goddammit! You have to focus on the ambient sounds and sound effects. An example among so many others; it lacks sounds when we slowly open the doors...

NibGames
Honored Guest
I pre-ordered the game 2 weeks ago and it's still not in my library, and on the store page it reads "pre-ordered" but no install option. Any idea what I could do until Oculus support replies?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

NibGames said:

I pre-ordered the game 2 weeks ago and it's still not in my library, and on the store page it reads "pre-ordered" but no install option. Any idea what I could do until Oculus support replies?

This is an error. In your library make sure you can see uninstalled apps and games, now Rogan shows up, click to install. I had the error too. 

NibGames
Honored Guest
I already did, it's still not there unfortunately. Appreciate the help though

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

NibGames said:

I already did, it's still not there unfortunately. Appreciate the help though

Strange indeed, probably not much you can do while waiting for support.

pyroth309
Visionary
Reading the reviews bums me out. It looked like it had potential. Hopefully they can spice it up with some patches.

TheSoulHunter
Honored Guest
I got to the point where I found Victoria to check on her and now nothing but a black screen even though there are people talking and I can hear myself able to move....then heard end of round money totaling...still nothing.