cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with external hard drive

nypplepyg
Honored Guest
I've been using a seagate 1 tb hard drive for my media streaming over DLNA with no problems. I recently got a WD elements 2 tb drive and my oculus won't find it in the folders area in skybox or pigasus. Any help would be greatly appreciated 
14 REPLIES 14

Doubird
Explorer
Does your 1tb seagate have wifi connection? How were you streaming with your seagate?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use a WD MyPassport 4TB drive, connected to a Raspberry Pi, connected to a hotspot created on the Pi. Make sure you actually shared the drive after swapping it in.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgot to mention...did you add the drive to the Skybox app in Windows, adding the files to it's library?

Doubird
Explorer

Spuzzum said:

I use a WD MyPassport 4TB drive, connected to a Raspberry Pi, connected to a hotspot created on the Pi. Make sure you actually shared the drive after swapping it in.

I just use 1 thing, it's the Sandisk Media Connect. You just add it to your wifi connection like you would for a laptop, ipad or phone. Then in the oculus, you go to wifi settings and connect sandisk. Then in your oculus browser the sandisk app will appear and you can just watch the videos you have on your sandisk. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubird said:

Spuzzum said:

I just use 1 thing, it's the Sandisk Media Connect. You just add it to your wifi connection like you would for a laptop, ipad or phone. Then in the oculus, you go to wifi settings and connect sandisk. Then in your oculus browser the sandisk app will appear and you can just watch the videos you have on your sandisk. 

Does it act as it's own hotspot, or does it need to connect to a home network/modem in order for devices to connect? My device acts as it's own hotspot, even on a plane, train or in the bush somewhere. It might not have internet in those situations, but it'll still stream to the headset. And the 5GHz I've got it set at, is better than the 5GHz of my internet provider's modem. The headset kept dropping the 5G with the modem, telling me there's no connection. I haven't had that with my Pi...unless it was a firmware update to the Quest that fixed it. 😛

Doubird
Explorer

Spuzzum said:

Doubird said:

Spuzzum said:

Does it act as it's own hotspot, or does it need to connect to a home network/modem in order for devices to connect? My device acts as it's own hotspot, even on a plane, train or in the bush somewhere. It might not have internet in those situations, but it'll still stream to the headset. And the 5GHz I've got it set at, is better than the 5GHz of my internet provider's modem. The headset kept dropping the 5G with the modem, telling me there's no connection. I haven't had that with my Pi...unless it was a firmware update to the Quest that fixed it. 😛

It acts as it's own hotspot. So all i need is the sandisk, turn it on and use the oculus go to watch movies stored on the sandisk. It's like having my own little wireless hard drive for the oculus. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool. Reading the manual, it said to connect to your home network, not saying it was a hotspot. Thanks for clarification. My device though, as soon as I upgrade to the newer Raspberry Pi 4B, 'should' be able to capture gameplay, for recording or just to connect to a TV through the HDMI like a Chromecast device. It works with the Raspberry Pi 3B+, but it's slow as hell with only 1GB DDR2 RAM, shared between CPU and GPU. The RPi4B has as much as 4GB's of DDR4 (1, 2, and 4GB models), and supposedly capable of 4K @ 60fps.

Seisiuneer
Honored Guest
Do you have an Amazon link for the SanDisk Media Connect device you’ve been using with your Go?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Looks like this Sandisk mate = SanDisk Connect 64 GB Wireless Media Drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H80R5CG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CvVjDb2YGEFCK
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.