cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh the index irony of it all.

inovator
Consultant
It's ironic that a few members on the fence about getting the rift s because of the problems it had preordered the index instead. I understand many members did that because of the better specs as well. Here is something from a recent article:

The VR controllers built to pair with the Valve Index Headsetare seeing widespread reports of a defect since their launch in June. According to Index Controller buyers, the two controllers’ joysticks are malfunctioning when the joystick is tilted and pressed like a button. Specifically, if the joystick is fully moved in a cardinal direction, it either requires significant pressure to recognize it’s been pressed or won’t recognize its been pressed whatsoever. The defect in the Valve Index Controllers will unfortunately not be corrected soon.

130 REPLIES 130

Anonymous
Not applicable
All three headsets have had fucked up launches, although the Rift S issues will be fixed with a software or firmware update rather than needing a recall like the Reverb and Index.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

All three headsets have had fucked up launches, although the Rift S issues will be fixed with a software or firmware update rather than needing a recall like the Reverb and Index.

Once I finally figured out after several days  what was causing my black screen issue, mine has been quite good. And I even returned the first one for replacement at Amazon.

So after I got the replacement and found I was still having the same issue, I set out to find out why. After a few days of trial and error I finally found out that if I had both my monitors on, I would get black screen in the headset after initial use. If I disabled the secondary monitor leaving only Monitor 1 on, no more blackscreens.
I had been dealing with support on this for about two weeks, and advised them of  my findings and suggested they really look into this as I felt there may be many others experiencing the same. But Support told me I was likely a rare case but was glad I found a way around it and to take care.

After each update to the PTC I give it another try just to check, and so far it still happens same as it did to me. So I just disable Monitor 2 when I use VR. 
No telling how many folks out there that have multiple monitors and experience the same give up and return their Rift S for something else or give up on VR.
So now I enjoy it very much with only the very occasional very brief white flash..
But yeah all these new headsets have issues for sure, I certainly should not have to reduce my monitor to one just to run Rift S, but I do.

I had been thinking about picking up Reverb for my flight sims, not now at least until they iron those issues out.  Index I have considered but just not sure I want to lay out that kind of money just for a couple of flight sims. Not sure the gain I would get would be worth the dollars spent.  I want for sure to keep the Rift S I have for my Oculus games I have now and to come.

ohgrant
Superstar
 Funny when some people get worked up over other peoples buying decisions.   😘
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Well said - I would also add the Pimax launch after CES as being a bit of a dogs breakfast.
One Youtuber succinctly put it that after all this time, it seems that no one learned any lessons on QA for headsets, spending more time internally than throwing it open to the VR community to help them over the bumps. Seems that the echo-chamber mentality too testing and development is prevalent with all the big four! Those that still have jobs that is!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

MowTin
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

According to Index Controller buyers, the two controllers’ joysticks are malfunctioning when the joystick is tilted and pressed like a button. Specifically, if the joystick is fully moved in a cardinal direction, it either requires significant pressure to recognize it’s been pressed or won’t recognize its been pressed whatsoever. The defect in the Valve Index Controllers will unfortunately not be corrected soon.

Why would you ever need to tilt and press the joystick at the same time? I may remember one game that requires you to click the joystick and move. I think it was Fallout 4VR. But overall it's a pretty rare action. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

inovator
Consultant
I don't know what they mean by it but the company admitted there was,a problem. If I spent 1 k on that it would be instant refund.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

inovator said:

According to Index Controller buyers, the two controllers’ joysticks are malfunctioning when the joystick is tilted and pressed like a button. Specifically, if the joystick is fully moved in a cardinal direction, it either requires significant pressure to recognize it’s been pressed or won’t recognize its been pressed whatsoever. The defect in the Valve Index Controllers will unfortunately not be corrected soon.

Why would you ever need to tilt and press the joystick at the same time? I may remember one game that requires you to click the joystick and move. I think it was Fallout 4VR. But overall it's a pretty rare action. 

To run. Press forward to move forward, but press in while tilted forward and it makes you run, not just walk. But not clicking is the least of the issues...tilting forward with the right thumbstick to teleport, and it teleports you before you even let go of the thumbstick. It loses contact when pushed forward, thus thinking you've let go of the thumbstick, signalling that's where you want to teleport to, including whatever direction you want to face once teleported.

Anonymous
Not applicable
double post...sorry

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:
Why would you ever need to tilt and press the joystick at the same time?

I guess you never played SkyrimVR?

This is the primary way to Sprint and do certain Power Attacks. And this is Valve's AAA VR Title. I can't believe they botched properly supporting their own VR Software money-maker when developing the Knuckles.

2019 is the year of head-up-arse syndrome for VR. And not just for Valve and their idiotic implementation of Knuckles vs SkryimVR. We have to also put Oculus on blast here. The Rift-S was released with tracking blind-spots that completely contradict the features of its best Software Exclusives: The Echo Series.

Both Valve and Oculus released Hardware that, by design, screws up the functionality of their best Software. The year 2020 will be the year of "apologies" and "do-overs" in VR. FFS.