New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Turning off Oculus Rift S

jtorres197jtorres197 Posts: 3
NerveGear
So i am curious, with the original Oculus Rift, it was able to turn off by itself when i would close the software. With the Oculus Rift S, i am noticing that it isn't turning off at all even when i turn off the computer, is there a way for it to turn off or no? Cause i don't want the batteries on the controls to die!

Comments

• THFourteenTHFourteen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Would love to know the answer to this myself...
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,387
    Project 2501
    I think it depends on your usb’s.  Many supply power even when you shutdown your PC.  Sometimes this can be controlled within your Bios settings.  If you cannot change this your Rift may just stay in standby mode (orange light).  I don’t think that is going to cause any problems.  Your touch controllers little while led should then turn off after you shutdown your PC but it might take a while (15-30 minutes for me).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,720 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I think it depends on your usb’s.  Many supply power even when you shutdown your PC.  Sometimes this can be controlled within your Bios settings.  If you cannot change this your Rift may just stay in standby mode (orange light).  I don’t think that is going to cause any problems.  Your touch controllers little while led should then turn off after you shutdown your PC but it might take a while (15-30 minutes for me).
    I have never seen an orange light on my Rift S , unlike I was used to seeing on my Rift CV1.
    It is always white.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    There are some USB Hubs that have Switches for each Device if you want that. I wonder if closing Oculus Services does the same? If so, then it is time that Closing Oculus did in fact close all Services. They claimed they all needed each other to work but hey, OTT could do it so then...and I am sick of Oculus booting up upon each Boot and accidentally starting if I slightly move the cable. The sensor is too sensitive especially with any VRCover!
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    The controllers go to sleep by themselves, so that shouldn't be a concern. The headset is just in a standby mode so that it can detect when you put it on your head, it's not actually doing anything intensive while waiting.
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    for controller i remobe the battery and for the headset, i toutch nothing and i shutdown computer
  • bobd14bobd14 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    The only way I know to put it in standby, is task manager/services/OVR Service, & stop (read it somewhere).  Then the light turns orange to standby, but you have to use task manager to restart.
  • robinoculusnlrobinoculusnl Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    You can turn off the Oculus Service with the Oculus Tray Tool, and if you really want to turn everything off you can disable the Rift S USB Hub in Device Manager.

• SavndorSavndor Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So far the easiest way to save battery is by removing the battery lol. They should have implemented a turn off button. Weird that they didnt think of that. I only just bought my Rift S and I already get a warning that both my batteries are low...
  • CPYXCPYX Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I was wondering why my controller's batteries where so low all of a sudden. They keep connected if you sign out of the occulus app. Somehow I thought they would disconnect.
    CPYX said:
    I was wondering why my controller's batteries where so low all of a sudden. They keep connected if you sign out of the occulus app. Somehow I thought they would disconnect.
    I believe that is fixed in the version 1.38 Public Test Channel.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZaharielZahariel Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I stop the Oculus service whenever I'm not using the HMD and so far my controllers are still showing as fully charged.

• VortimousVortimous Posts: 54
    Brain Burst
    Where can you see the charge of the batteries... also, does it warn you that the batteries are low while using the device?  So far I think mine are fine, but they are the batteries that came with the system....
  • ZaharielZahariel Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I'm at work so working from limited memory but In the Oculus program you can select the devices tab on the left and that should show your HMD. Select your HMD and it should bring up the current status of it including the battery levels on the controllers.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 3
    Battery Levels are not reading correctly. Having used mine with the supplied Standard Batteries, they are showing at 100% where as Rechargeables only lasted about 1week or less due to not switching OFF. Although these do show as SLEEPING they should have indicated as OFF. I know this because if I use BETA>RESTART OCULUS then it displays as being OFF!
    With old CV1 it gets 50%, then warns us prior before kicking us out of focus of the game and then dying!
    I have reported FAR too many issues to OCULUS and it was your job @OculusSupport to tell the DEVs because even though I send direct FEEDBACK in the Desktop Software and even tell Support....totally NOTHING gets fixed...not even Strafing and 2 Thumbsticks Recentre. How hard is a simple bind that hard to add??? 
    Great Product let down by their Support knowing what Users tell them and not telling DEVs who should be taking an Active Role here on this Community Forum which seriously should be their OFFICIAL SUPPORT Forum already.
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Battery Levels are not reading correctly. Having used mine with the supplied Standard Batteries, they are showing at 100% where as Rechargeables only lasted about 1week or less due to not switching OFF. Although these do show as SLEEPING they should have indicated as OFF. I know this because if I use BETA>RESTART OCULUS then it displays as being OFF!
    With old CV1 it gets 50%, then warns us prior before kicking us out of focus of the game and then dying!
    I have reported FAR too many issues to OCULUS and it was your job @OculusSupport to tell the DEVs because even though I send direct FEEDBACK in the Desktop Software and even tell Support....totally NOTHING gets fixed...not even Strafing and 2 Thumbsticks Recentre. How hard is a simple bind that hard to add??? 
    Great Product let down by their Support knowing what Users tell them and not telling DEVs who should be taking an Active Role here on this Community Forum which seriously should be their OFFICIAL SUPPORT Forum already.
    Well realistically some of those things are more like feature requests, rather than bugs that need fixing.
    I suspect they have their hands full right now with just the support requests.
    Don

• jessomadicjessomadic Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So after being fed up with having to go a manually turn off the service to keep my batteries from dying I created a little batch file to turn the service on and off so I did not have to go hunt in task manager for it. It's very simple but it works well. Link here for anyone who wants to use it. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NrmK63n-yFoctWkJ3CMLw6Tf_0ycqe1e