Installing Oculus App on Drive OTHER THAN C: Drive - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Installing Oculus App on Drive OTHER THAN C: Drive

2»

Comments

• TheRidiculousOneTheRidiculousOne Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey So I'm Having this Issue as well and I cant seem to figure out why I believe I am typing it out correctly into my command prompt
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\Users\cedmo\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=D
    But then I proceed to get Directory Name is invalid any chance I could get some assistance with the issue?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 6
    You need to raise command Prompt by typing CMD...change Directory to the Setup File which must be the Drive you want to install to. "cd" means change directory.
    Open CMD Prompt in "Run"
    Go to directory of your Setup file e.g. "E:/"
    "cd Downloads"
    (whatever the directory is called you have it in)
    "OculusSetup.exe /drive=E"

• ShaneFarmerShaneFarmer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    In case anyone is still having trouble with this. Here is what i have done and it installed perfectly on another drive.
    Check the location of your downloads folder. Sometimes people map it to another drive.
    Once you know the location of your downloads folder.

Open up the 'Run' box, and paste in 'C:\Users\Shane\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=D
    Then install the software.

I tried nearly everything on this thread and after trial and error, this is what worked for me.

• baryybaryy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    None of the above worked for me and I understand Dos well. To install on my D drive I had to open Powershell as Administrator and type .\OculusSetup /drive=D  [ Another hurdle you have to overcome just to install a program and Oculus and the likes wonder why the uptake is slow on this technology. Hint: Make it easier to do basic things like install the software. With SSD's a lot of people are stuck for space on their system drive, it is crazy to assume everyone is fine plonking 21gigs of Oculus software on the system drive.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 12
    @baryy did you have the Setup file on Drive D and in the same folder you wish to install Oculus into? That's how it has worked. i.e.D:\Oculus (download SETUP into this Oculus Folder and then perform above commands from this directory)
  • Zachary-756Zachary-756 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    what does everyone me by username????

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    what does everyone me by username????

They mean your windows username. So in this example ...........

'C:\Users\Shane\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=D

"Shane" is that person's windows username.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • Rarz0rRarz0r Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    So none of the above worked for me.  I got an error that said it had to have minimum GB (which it did) and had to be NTFS (which it was).  I did all the admin cmd tricks above nothing worked.  I ended up going into diskmgmt.msc and seeing the difference between my disks.  One was Basic, one was Dynamic.  I didn't need the info on my Dynamic drive so I deleted the volume.  Once you do that you can right click the Disk at the bottom and "convert from dynamic to basic".  Once you have done that you can recreate a partition it will be Basic.  Then copy the cmd stuff from above and it works.  

I imagine there are other similar ways maybe just adding another basic partition etc but the main thing is it has problems with Dynamic partitions. 
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    You will need at least 120GB free
    Are you serious? And you guys place this on the C: drive by default and people have to use CMD to change the install path?

This software is crazy annoying!!

I have a dedicated SSD for OS. 60 GB but that's plenty for OS. Oculus Home is on C: drive too as back in the days when I installed there was no way to install on another drive.

I looked up this thread in google trying to find out how to install to another drive because now it does this:

- Downloads an update of 11 items - on C: drive leaving 7 GB free space on my disk
    - Then doesn't install them just ignores them
    - Then tells me I don't have free space to download and shows 0/11 items have been downloaded

Can you post a picture of the guy who designed the software? I would like to see.

Now I will remove the software (if the above mentioned guy was able to implement a way to remove it completely) and try one of the many different ideas in this thread to install on a different drive.
  • pdhannemanpdhanneman Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    sabyyy said:
    Are you serious? And you guys place this on the C: drive by default and people have to use CMD to change the install path?

I have a dedicated SSD for OS. 60 GB but that's plenty for OS. Oculus Home is on C: drive too as back in the days when I installed there was no way to install on another drive.

I looked up this thread in google trying to find out how to install to another drive because now it does this:

- Downloads an update of 11 items - on C: drive leaving 7 GB free space on my disk
    - Then tells me I don't have free space to download and shows 0/11 items have been downloaded

Can you post a picture of the guy who designed the software? I would like to see.

Now I will remove the software (if the above mentioned guy was able to implement a way to remove it completely) and try one of the many different ideas in this thread to install on a different drive.
    I know.  I recently moved my Rift to another drive and it completely baffles me Oculus doesn't give you a choice of where to install.  There has to be a real reason because it seems pretty much like a basic installation requirement.  I just reinstalled last night in fact and found the process so incredibly frustrating.
    i7-8700K 3.7GHz Processor | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX WHITE RGB Liquid Cooler | ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA Motherboard | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB  DDR4-3200 Memory | FireCuda 2TB 7200RPM Hybrid HD | Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD | Barracuda 4TB 7200RPM HD | WD Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 SSD | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card | Thermaltake - The Tower 900 Snow Edition Full Tower Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W Power Supply | Two Divorces | One Bad Ass Credit Card Bill
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    sabyyy said:

I know.  I recently moved my Rift to another drive and it completely baffles me Oculus doesn't give you a choice of where to install.  There has to be a real reason because it seems pretty much like a basic installation requirement.  I just reinstalled last night in fact and found the process so incredibly frustrating.
    Yeah it's frustrating. I did the first step yesterday. Tried the repair option to see what would happen. Of course it failed. Now Oculus Home is not listed as a program on my PC but is still under program files taking up more than 10 GB. Pretty big for a non-existing program, considering my whole Program Files folder is 14 GB (including Oculus remnants. And who knows what other Oculus stuff are there in othe forlders.

My 2nd step will be to manually hunt down oculus related files and folders on my C: drive and delete them. Very sophisticated uninstall method, thank you devs.

I have a feeling I am moving towards an OS reinstall.

The good news is I am not too addicted to VR so I can take my steps with long breaks in between to keep my frustration level in green/yellow zone.

• Dog_For_PresidentDog_For_President Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I tried every one of these and nothing worked

• Not_ThomasNot_Thomas Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 5
    After multiple attempts at getting this installed on my D drive I've finally got it working on my end. 
    First, I made a new file on my D drive just named OculusI then did the cd\ command and
    ran the command : 
    "\Users\[username]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=D" in the command prompt 
    After running the command the install window came up. I went through and it locked on to my
    Oculus file on the D drive. 

Hope this helps and Howdy from August 2019 to anyone in the future!
  • JeffroKillJeffroKill Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    After multiple attempts at getting this installed on my D drive I've finally got it working on my end. 
    First, I made a new file on my D drive just named OculusI then did the cd\ command and
    ran the command : 
    "\Users\[username]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=D" in the command prompt 
    After running the command the install window came up. I went through and it locked on to my
    Oculus file on the D drive. 

Hope this helps and Howdy from August 2019 to anyone in the future!
    Ye! You rock! This way was the only way that worked for me!