cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Spuzzum said:
The Index was Valve's response to the Vive Pro...better specs, while being $400 USD cheaper for the bundle, or $300 USD cheaper just for the headset. $1000 USD is right on par for what the parts are.

Sadly we have never had an official "positioning statement" from Valve on what the Valve Index is a "response" too.

That's not a "sad" thing, that's a "smart" thing. Any organization that is lead by people with any sort of business sense would not allow themselves to develop entire product lines "in a response to" anything at all. Because that's a good way to become a follower instead of a leader. Once a company starts strategizing around "responses" they make themselves vulnerable to all of their competitors and artificial market forces.

Similar to how someone can be tricked in to investing money in a company that doesn't really exist.
Bre-X Minerals, 1997
This Canadian company was involved in one of the largest stock swindles in history. Its Indonesian gold property, which was reported to contain more than 200 million ounces, was said to be the richest gold mine, ever. The stock price for Bre-X skyrocketed to a high of $280 (split adjusted), making millionaires out of ordinary people overnight. At its peak, Bre-X had a market capitalization of $4.4 billion.

The party ended on March 19, 1997, when the gold mine proved to be fraudulent and the stock tumbled to pennies, shortly after. The major losers were the Quebec public sector pension fund, which lost $70 million, the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, which lost $100 million, and the Ontario Municipal Employees' Retirement Board, which lost $45 million.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/00/100900.asp

Valve and Facebook are notorious for remaining tight-lipped, because they don't want to become Quebec and Ontario in the Bre-X story.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I forgot a point...how much of that $1000 price tag is affected by Trump's tariffs? An extra 15% on components not made in the USA, only available from China, really adds up.

Evileyes
Rising Star
Well now, after a long weekend of adjusting and testing, I turned a corner by opting in for beta in steam VR and what a difference did it make! That coupled with the fact I'm starting to use the rear pad for greater comfort also made a difference.. I jumped into Space pirate trainer and FINALLY saw the new SMOOTHNESS of the 120hz.. and it totally changed my outlook on this headset. And I assume, they will be fixing other issues with further software updates. Very excited about it again! So I would like to retract what I said previously in this thread.. and my index isnt going anywhere. 🙂

SO, after a lot of tinkering... im back into this headset, and also bought some extra face mask gaskets. 🙂 Totally happy with all aspects now.. I really enjoy this headset.  

P.S. I also found Pokerstars VR (What a hidden gem!!!).. had a total blast playing cards and talking to people.. I guess its mainly for Oculus users, but I had some serious fun!
i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer

Evileyes said:

Well now, after a long weekend of adjusting and testing, I turned a corner by opting in for beta in steam VR and what a difference did it make! 

Oh, interesting - I'd been avoiding the beta since the release version is crashy enough! Apart from smoothness, does it give any new features? I'm not with my Index for a few days.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Evileyes - Valve did say they didn't want to people to judge the Valve index when it was launched in June. They said the reason for this is that there are some big updates coming for it during the Summer. Hopefully things improve for it because it looks like a nice headset with it's build quality.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Evileyes said:

Well now, after a long weekend of adjusting and testing, I turned a corner by opting in for beta in steam VR and what a difference did it make! That coupled with the fact I'm starting to use the rear pad for greater comfort also made a difference.. I jumped into Space pirate trainer and FINALLY saw the new SMOOTHNESS of the 120hz.. and it totally changed my outlook on this headset. And I assume, they will be fixing other issues with further software updates. Very excited about it again! So I would like to retract what I said previously in this thread.. and my index isnt going anywhere. 🙂

SO, after a lot of tinkering... im back into this headset, and also bought some extra face mask gaskets. 🙂 Totally happy with all aspects now.. I really enjoy this headset.  

P.S. I also found Pokerstars VR (What a hidden gem!!!).. had a total blast playing cards and talking to people.. I guess its mainly for Oculus users, but I had some serious fun!

Oasis also recommended using the beta - fixed nearly all his problems (like cable disconnected error). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Looks like a Ques*cough!* I mean looks like a 144 Hz game :blush:

https://youtu.be/-eke2NGgS7E

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Review o' the day  o:)

https://youtu.be/2CizX6GClGw

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea perhaps that's why I haven't had all the problems I see people posting. I've been auto updating on the SteamVR beta since before I had the Index. I don't have any problems with mine on the software side. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some dude posted that "second wave" (persons receiving Index in July) may include fixed Knuckles - but could just be a random lucky occurrence who knows... At least this is how Knuckles should work:

https://youtu.be/lCF-zB8BILc