White Static Flashes in Rift S - Page 8 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Comments

• john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 9
    Another poster pointed out he had this problem with his CV1 because he was using (cheap) extensions the extra cable length on the Rift-s could be the cause of the static flashes. There are some days I go two to three hours without a flash other days it flashes every 5 minutes which makes games unplayable.

I really would like Oculus would inform the user's what's going on
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,794 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 9
    mhajii210 said:
    For me I usually get 1-2 static flashes early on in Fallout 4 VR (so not a heat issue), and 1-2 per hour from then on. I've only seen the static flashes while playing Fallout 4 VR, and I haven't tested it with any other game. Since my static flashes are not that frequent, I'm tolerating it and waiting patiently. If they were happening more often though, I would have definitely returned the headset. 

That's sounds very familiar @mhajii210 , I've had some sessions in Fallout that are pretty much exactly the same.

Anyway, I started logging the intervals between flashes and I wanted to discount something like my mobile phone being a contributing factor... it's the biggest source of electromagnetic interference in my home (note: no flashes experienced at all for the first 5 hours of using the headset).

Session 1 (phone on), flash after 28 minutes, then  6, 3, 10, 8 and 24minute intervals (average 13.2)
    Session 2 (phone off), flash after 27 mins, then 19, 39, 13, 17, 20 (average 22.5)
    Session 3 (phone on), flash after 1 minute, then 1, 11, 2, 57, 11, 7, 22 (average 14)
    Session 4 (phone off), flash after 42 minutes, then 10, 6, 20 (average 19.5)
    Session 5 (phone on), flash after 21 minutes, then 8 (2 flashes within a minute), 10 (average 10)
    Session 6 (phone off), flash after 32 minutes, 5, 58, 30, 35, 59 (36.5)
    Session 7 phone on), 10 minutes, 3, 62, 37, 1 (22.6)
    Session 8 (phone off), 2 minutes, 15, 15, 79, 13 (2 flashes in same minute) (average 18.3)

So anyway, I can't completely discount interference as a contribution as it could be said there's a bias towards better performance with the phone switched off. But tbh I'd just put this down to the random nature of the things.

Definitely no contribution from cable twisting or connections except that I didn't get any flashes at all for the first 5 hours of using the new headset and first flash happened after disconnecting and reconnecting the headset from the GPU.

I'd also agree with @Mnemonic , definitely wait a few days and have several hours of play before deciding you've found a solution. It's unfortunately easy to be tricked into thinking they've gone.

So anyway, do my number of flashes seem high compared to you guys?

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    DaftnDirect said:
    So anyway, do my number of flashes seem high compared to you guys?
    That's pretty much the same experience I have
  • Brian1256Brian1256 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Pretty much the same here also.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,744 Valuable Player
    Yup, same here too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • darbosssdarbosss Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Still no update on these white flashes?????
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,260 Valuable Player
    edited July 10
    Another poster pointed out he had this problem with his CV1 because he was using (cheap) extensions the extra cable length on the Rift-s could be the cause of the static flashes. There are some days I go two to three hours without a flash other days it flashes every 5 minutes which makes games unplayable.

I really would like Oculus would inform the user's what's going on
    I switched my CV1 from the Hdmi to a Display port and I to get these flashes now. When my CV1 was on my Hdmi port I used a 3m extension connected to the CV1 cable and had no problems. Now I am using a cable masters display port to hdmi that is about 9 inches long. My 3m extension cable I used previously and the lead that's already connected to the CV1.
    I also get constant flashes now so take away from that what you will. To me it points to how a Display port works or it's the cable or the length of the cable that's causing the issue. Saying that though there are some people using extensions on Rift S and say they have no problems.
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    Oculus denied my request for refund. See this https://i.imgur.com/Muj01IQ.png
    Am I missing something here? They haven't denied you a refund at all as far as I can tell? She posted back to say that because you submitted a ticket within the 30 days that a refund would be alright?
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    It sounds like they will give you a refund. If I was you I would request it immediately since you said you are getting static flashes every 5 minutes. That is way too excessive and it would drive me nuts. I only get 2-3 per hour.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    RedRizla said:
    Am I missing something here? They haven't denied you a refund at all as far as I can tell? She posted back to say that because you submitted a ticket within the 30 days that a refund would be alright?
    No, you misunderstand, She didn't post back. That part at the bottom is a copy+paste from a discussion I had with another rep.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    Guys I have an idea... Has anyone tried unplugging the monitor from the GPU once you're using the headset to see if the static flashes go away? I'm going to test it out today to see what happens.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    mhajii210 said:
    Guys I have an idea... Has anyone tried unplugging the monitor from the GPU once you're using the headset to see if the static flashes go away? I'm going to test it out today to see what happens.
    Yes, this does work. In the limited testing I did. But you don't get any sound coming thru the headset then. Or thru any speaker for that matter.
    It's as if Windows thinks there is no point in playing sound if no display is plugged in.
    Brain Burst
    mhajii210 said:
    Yes, this does work. In the limited testing I did. But you don't get any sound coming thru the headset then.
    Why would it affect the headset audio?
    Brain Burst
    I have a 4K monitor hooked up via HDMI. It's possible the static flashes vary depending on the monitor plugged in. I would suggest everyone turn down the desktop resolution to the lowest supported setting on Windows for the connected monitor and test to see if that has an impact on reducing the static flashes. I will test and report back.
    edited July 10
    RedRizla said:
    No, you misunderstand, She didn't post back. That part at the bottom is a copy+paste from a discussion I had with another rep.
    Now I understand and that wasn't good. Glad you are able to return it for a refund now.
    Brain Burst
    mhajii210 said:
    mhajii210 said:
    Yes, this does work. In the limited testing I did. But you don't get any sound coming thru the headset then.
    Why would it affect the headset audio?
    I hade no idea. 
    Brain Burst
    RedRizla said:
    RedRizla said:
    Now I understand and that wasn't good. Glad you are able to return it for a refund now.
    Well the jury is still out on whether or not I will get a refund. We will see what she replies with. I will keep you posted.
    Brain Burst
    Okay guys... I tested with both reduced desktop resolution and unplugging my monitor (HDMI). I still have audio on my Rift S after unplugging the monitor, but it made no difference whatsoever. I get the same static flashes even with the Rift S being the only device connected to my GPU. So my theory about the monitor having something to do with the static flashes goes out the window.
    Brain Burst
    mhajii210 said:
    Okay guys... I tested with both reduced desktop resolution and unplugging my monitor (HDMI). I still have audio on my Rift S after unplugging the monitor, but it made no difference whatsoever. I get the same static flashes even with the Rift S being the only device connected to my GPU. So my theory about the monitor having something to do with the static flashes goes out the window.
    After further testing, I got the same results you got. The static flashes came back. However, I managed to keep the audio inside the headset by keeping my finger over the forehead sensor.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    double post
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    Well the jury is still out on whether or not I will get a refund. We will see what she replies with. I will keep you posted.
    Well, that lit a fire under my keester.
    In my previous posts I was all like "let's wait this out patiently," but as of 5 minutes ago I'm debating a refund. 
    The only thing that is currently preventing me from doing that is an awesome support tech who has been very supportive so far
    Hiro Protagonist
    Never mind this contacting Customer Support Oculus needs to make a announcement what's being done to correct it. I honestly believe  it's cable length.   
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,408 Valuable Player
    Never mind this contacting Customer Support Oculus needs to make a announcement what's being done to correct it. I honestly believe  it's cable length.   
    Kind of what I have been thinking as well...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Brain Burst
    I agree 100%. I think the cable is simply too long. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,408 Valuable Player
    mhajii210 said:
    I agree 100%. I think the cable is simply too long. 
    May be why I also can not run two monitors with Rift S, have to disable my secondary monitor or else I will get black screens. Rift CV1 certainly did not exhibit that behavior on same rig.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Brain Burst
    All I know is the images going to the headset are clean since the mirror displayed on the monitor does not show any static flashes. Something is happening from the display port to the headset, and it looks exactly the same as when you use too long of an extension with the CV1. The only way to rule out the cable as the cause is to use a short cable. I strongly believe it's too long and it's picking up interference as a result. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I feel a lot better if Oculus made a statement regarding the matter. As I have find the more I use the headset more this becomes a game-breaker.

The new buzz word around Customer Service is we are aware of the problem a new firmware update is coming.