cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Oculus denied my request for refund. See this https://i.imgur.com/Muj01IQ.png

Am I missing something here? They haven't denied you a refund at all as far as I can tell? She posted back to say that because you submitted a ticket within the 30 days that a refund would be alright?

mhajii210
Expert Protege

It sounds like they will give you a refund. If I was you I would request it immediately since you said you are getting static flashes every 5 minutes. That is way too excessive and it would drive me nuts. I only get 2-3 per hour.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Am I missing something here? They haven't denied you a refund at all as far as I can tell? She posted back to say that because you submitted a ticket within the 30 days that a refund would be alright?

No, you misunderstand, She didn't post back. That part at the bottom is a copy+paste from a discussion I had with another rep.

mhajii210
Expert Protege
Guys I have an idea... Has anyone tried unplugging the monitor from the GPU once you're using the headset to see if the static flashes go away? I'm going to test it out today to see what happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mhajii210 said:

Guys I have an idea... Has anyone tried unplugging the monitor from the GPU once you're using the headset to see if the static flashes go away? I'm going to test it out today to see what happens.

Yes, this does work. In the limited testing I did. But you don't get any sound coming thru the headset then. Or thru any speaker for that matter.
It's as if Windows thinks there is no point in playing sound if no display is plugged in.

mhajii210
Expert Protege

mhajii210 said:

Yes, this does work. In the limited testing I did. But you don't get any sound coming thru the headset then.

Why would it affect the headset audio?

mhajii210
Expert Protege
I have a 4K monitor hooked up via HDMI. It's possible the static flashes vary depending on the monitor plugged in. I would suggest everyone turn down the desktop resolution to the lowest supported setting on Windows for the connected monitor and test to see if that has an impact on reducing the static flashes. I will test and report back.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

No, you misunderstand, She didn't post back. That part at the bottom is a copy+paste from a discussion I had with another rep.

Now I understand and that wasn't good. Glad you are able to return it for a refund now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mhajii210 said:

mhajii210 said:

Yes, this does work. In the limited testing I did. But you don't get any sound coming thru the headset then.

Why would it affect the headset audio?

I hade no idea.