cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be a Wireless adapter for the Rift S

JohSm67
Rising Star
I want to see a Wireless adapter for the Rift S, made by Oculus! Not a TP Cast one...
Like the Vive Wireless adapter using a singel PCIx Slot....

Any known Oculus plans for this?

/J
JohSm
10 REPLIES 10

ShocksVR
Superstar
Ya it's possible.

It Rift-S does get a wireless module (probably a 3rd party solution), then the roomscale capabilities would be huge since it wouldn't be confined to the playarea dictated by external sensors.

The same company that deisnged the Vive Wireless module (DisplayLink - so it was 3rd party designed, 1st party manufactured), also made a reference design for Rift; but I would expect it to only be picked up by a 3rd party: https://www.roadtovr.com/displaylink-showing-60ghz-wireless-adapter-for-oculus-rift/

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer
I'd love to see this.  Especially with the S not requiring outer sensors, an official wireless pack would give you complete freedom.  Anyone have a TP that could give a 2 or 3 sentence review?  I've thought for a long time of getting one, but I assumed it would cause latency and other potential issues.

JohSm67
Rising Star
Or simply a portable Pc/Laptop on your back with massive amount of battery power 🙂
What is the limits of the trackable area for the Rift S (if you have a backpack PC) ?
JohSm

Anonymous
Not applicable
Build a very small computer the size of a book or two and you could travel anywhere. All solid state cooling and storage you could be whipping around going amazing moves much like the Quest:)

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
I agree. A good quality wireless option would be a must buy for me. I contacted TPCAST and they told me their wireless module will NOT work on the new Rift S and that they are developing other options... we'll see!

JelmerR
Honored Guest

JohSm67 said:

Or simply a portable Pc/Laptop on your back with massive amount of battery power 🙂
What is the limits of the trackable area for the Rift S (if you have a backpack PC) ? Limitless

symbiot999
Sightseer
I want to see a wireless adapter for the cv1 and rift s that does not cost an arm and leg....

Thmoas
Rising Star
I bought an Oculus Quest yesterday, I set it up using sideloaded Virtual Desktop and I can play SteamVR games completely wireless just fine. It's amazing.

The big downside is the latency, it's perfectly fine for slow paced games but with fast action the latency is annoying.

uKER
Adventurer

ShocksVR said:

Ya it's possible.

It Rift-S does get a wireless module (probably a 3rd party solution), then the roomscale capabilities would be huge since it wouldn't be confined to the playarea dictated by external sensors.

Rift S? External sensors? You meant CV1, I guess?