cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

RedRizla said:

Oculus denied my request for refund. See this https://i.imgur.com/Muj01IQ.png

Am I missing something here? They haven't denied you a refund at all as far as I can tell? She posted back to say that because you submitted a ticket within the 30 days that a refund would be alright?

No, you misunderstand, She didn't post back. That part at the bottom is a copy+paste from a discussion I had with another rep.

Now I understand and that wasn't good. Glad you are able to return it for a refund now.

Well the jury is still out on whether or not I will get a refund. We will see what she replies with. I will keep you posted.

mhajii210
Expert Protege
Okay guys... I tested with both reduced desktop resolution and unplugging my monitor (HDMI). I still have audio on my Rift S after unplugging the monitor, but it made no difference whatsoever. I get the same static flashes even with the Rift S being the only device connected to my GPU. So my theory about the monitor having something to do with the static flashes goes out the window.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mhajii210 said:

Okay guys... I tested with both reduced desktop resolution and unplugging my monitor (HDMI). I still have audio on my Rift S after unplugging the monitor, but it made no difference whatsoever. I get the same static flashes even with the Rift S being the only device connected to my GPU. So my theory about the monitor having something to do with the static flashes goes out the window.

After further testing, I got the same results you got. The static flashes came back. However, I managed to keep the audio inside the headset by keeping my finger over the forehead sensor.

Anonymous
Not applicable
double post

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

Well the jury is still out on whether or not I will get a refund. We will see what she replies with. I will keep you posted.

Well, that lit a fire under my keester.
In my previous posts I was all like "let's wait this out patiently," but as of 5 minutes ago I'm debating a refund. 
The only thing that is currently preventing me from doing that is an awesome support tech who has been very supportive so far

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
Never mind this contacting Customer Support Oculus needs to make a announcement what's being done to correct it. I honestly believe  it's cable length.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never mind this contacting Customer Support Oculus needs to make a announcement what's being done to correct it. I honestly believe  it's cable length.   

Kind of what I have been thinking as well...

mhajii210
Expert Protege

I agree 100%. I think the cable is simply too long. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

mhajii210 said:

I agree 100%. I think the cable is simply too long. 

May be why I also can not run two monitors with Rift S, have to disable my secondary monitor or else I will get black screens. Rift CV1 certainly did not exhibit that behavior on same rig.

mhajii210
Expert Protege
All I know is the images going to the headset are clean since the mirror displayed on the monitor does not show any static flashes. Something is happening from the display port to the headset, and it looks exactly the same as when you use too long of an extension with the CV1. The only way to rule out the cable as the cause is to use a short cable. I strongly believe it's too long and it's picking up interference as a result.