New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook acquisitions: Assassins Creed VR and Splinter Cell VR ??

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,629 Valuable Player
edited July 10 in General

AAA VR is en-route...

Next on Facebook’s Shopping List: Acquisitions to Beef Up Gaming

As part of the new effort, in which CEO Mark Zuckerberg is personally involved, Facebook has already signed deals for exclusive VR versions of the popular games “Assassin’s Creed” and “Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell,” one of the people said. Facebook hopes that seeding Oculus with popular game franchises will help attract more people to buy its VR headsets

The initiative is being led by Jason Rubin, the former head of content for Oculus who was promoted in December to be vice president of special gaming initiatives. Mr. Rubin reports to Andrew Bosworth, a longtime Facebook executive who oversees all of the company’s hardware efforts.

“The response to Oculus Quest and Rift S gaming has been incredible,” an Oculus spokesperson told The Information. “We cannot comment on specific partnerships, but we will continue to focus on expanding our library and reaching broader gaming audiences for years to come.”

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/next-on-facebooks-shopping-list-acquisitions-to-beef-up-gaming

A great blurb on the success of Oculus Quest:

Mr. Bosworth recently announced that Quest users purchased $5 million in content for the device during its first two weeks of availability. In marketing materials, Facebook has positioned the Oculus Quest primarily as a gaming device. Facebook has already funded a host of VR titles for Oculus—mostly from small to midsized publishers—and is funding an upcoming VR game from the Electronic Arts–owned studio behind “Titanfall” and “Apex Legends.” Oculus also recently funded a “Star Wars” interactive story by Lucasfilm that’s exclusive to the platform.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,991 Valuable Player
    That is awesome news for PCVR indeed, thanks for posting it here! 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,594 Volunteer Moderator
    A win win for all !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    edited July 10
    Assassins Creed and Splinter Cell, wow, can't wait for these titles :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,991 Valuable Player
    edited July 10
    Assassins Creed and Splinter Cell, wow, can't wait for these titles :)

Normally I'm not a fan of Assassin's Creed - but in VR I'm in for sure!  o:) 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,159 Valuable Player
    Aw bollocks. Does that video above mean those franchises are only being used for VOID-like experiences? :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,629 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Aw bollocks. Does that video above mean those franchises are only being used for VOID-like experiences?

Well every platform needs its exclusives. This thread is about Oculus exclusives afterall!

However, Vader Immortal came from the developer of the Star Wars VOID Experience, so anything is possible!

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,868 Valuable Player
    Great news but I hope these games are more AAA than AA.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • OculusHomieOculusHomie Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I think any exclusive will be focused on the Quest and unless you own a Quest it’s hard to get excited about it. They might not see the light of day on PC or Rift-S

I’m a bit surprised any 3rd party Dev would sign an exclusive deal with Oculus when Sony’s PSVR2 maybe coming in 2021. 

Are these going to be timed exclusives? 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,831 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    That looks amazing!

North of England, yes?    :#
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 228
    Nexus 6
    i hope they will be full experiences..not 25 min demos. AC has so many possibilities..naval warfare, bows, swords, climbing, stealth, melee..it will really be hard, good luck designers
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    Great news but I hope these games are more AAA than AA.
    Triple B experiences --- BBB
    I think the focus will on the Quest then maybe a high res texture version for the Rift
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    edited July 11
    I really hope they finally invest in full games though, full AAA games from real high end developers.

LIke this morning I was playing Assassin's Creed Origins on PS4 and was really good, I hope they make a full open world game like that. Like Fallout 4 but from the ground up and made for VR.

EDIT: If they did finally do this then even if there was only two games that existed, i.e. Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed then I'm still sure that not only would all of us here in the VR community buy these games but these two games would bring more newcomers to VR.

And then the more people that buy Rift S/Vive/Index to play these two games, the more chance we have of other devs joining us in making even better games.

Hopefully one day all games will be made for VR so we will have Battlefield, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Forza, Resident Evil, Half Life, FIfa, Wolfenstein, Metro, Rainbow Six Seige etc etc all available in VR. Oh and games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 would be good also.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,629 Valuable Player
    I think any exclusive will be focused on the Quest and unless you own a Quest it’s hard to get excited about it. They might not see the light of day on PC or Rift-S

You seem to have it backwards. These are PCVR titles, so Quest owners (like myself) are the ones who need to hope that these get ported over. Rift is the primary target for these Exclusives.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,838 Valuable Player
    edited July 12
    That looks amazing!

North of England, yes?    :#

Yeah it plays pretty good.
    The reason I shared it was surprised to see exclusive and first time being used when there was already a VR version - there is also a VR Escape game series of the Assassins Creed universe - so not quite sure of the "exclusivity" is more focused on the fact its coming to OculusVR? But good news for the community - hope that they get to port a version of the LBE games to the home.

Oh, and too your quest "North of England"... Yes - PM me and I can point you to one of the sites running the system.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 369
    Trinity
    Would love to see a AC - Black Flag in VR!!!  :p
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S