cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer reboots when Rift S goes to sleep

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a very strange behavior with my Rift S.  If I take my Rift S off, and set it down for more than 20-30 seconds the whole computer reboots.
If I keep it on my head, it works fine with no reboots.  Only when I leave it idle after using it.

Has anyone else had this issue?  It has done it since the beginning, with update 1.37, 1.38 and 1.38.1
I have tried switching to all the different USB ports, but it happens on all of them.

I have :
  • Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 Motherboard
  • i9-9900k CPU
  • Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU
  • Windows Pro 1903
36 REPLIES 36

darthian66
Explorer
I actually have the same exact mother board as razaice, the Z97MX-Gaming 5, unfortunately, enabling ErP mode did not solve the problem for me.  I'm going to continue to play around with the various power management settings in the BIOS and see if I can figure it out.  I did disable the integrated graphics through BIOS as well, but still no luck.  I'll keep pressing and let everyone know if I come up with something.

razaice
Explorer
I spoke too soon...  I thought it was resolved by enabling ErP Mode, but my computer restarted after an hour of play.  I'll keep looking and report back if I figure it out.  At least we can say our motherboards are almost certainly the cause.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
ErP mode should not make difference when computer is running. It just cuts some power usage while computer is shutdown and disables certain features like power on by keyboard button press and such...

razaice
Explorer
I didn't have any luck messing with bios settings, but I think I did find a workaround.  It's pretty ridiculous though.  First of all, it involves using the Oculus Tray Tool.  While still in VR, when you're ready to take the headset off, you open up the virtual desktop option on the right of the menu that appears when you press the menu button on the controllers.  You'd then navigate to the OTT on your desktop, choose the Service and Startup menu, and press the stop button along the top to stop the Oculus Service.  This will close the Oculus program and turn off your headset.  In my experience at least, the computer does not restart after exiting this way.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Sounds like something oculus should be able to fix then (or at least let Gigabyte know if they need to fix something). Would recommend contacting oculus support and letting them know what you found out. Maybe this helps them to solve also some other usb/displayport compatibility issues they've been having.

razaice
Explorer
Fortunately I have a ticket open with Oculus for this issue and I've been keeping them updated on my progress.  They've been pretty responsive in trying to help, which is great when a company is trying to get a new product off the ground.

darthian66
Explorer
Hey guys, I thought I would provide an update.  I've been working with support via an open ticket and we've been doing more troubleshooting.  The last thing we tried was to reboot in safe mode, completely remove all of the oculus software, and then reinstall everything fresh.  This seems to have changed the behavior of the reboots for me.  It's become less frequent, but frustratingly less predictable for me now.  The headset going to sleep isn't an auto-reboot like it was before, and I've noticed that sometimes when I put the headset back on it will reboot the PC a few seconds later.  For example, I was playing around in the virtual desktop and put on a YouTube video.  I took the headset off for about 2 minutes and when I put it back on, the displays turned back on and about 5 seconds later the PC rebooted.

Anyone else make any headway?

razaice
Explorer
Thanks for the update.  I'm happy someone is still looking into our issue.  Ever since I discovered my method of using the Oculus Tray Tool to end the Oculus Service while still in VR, I've kind of given up on finding the root cause.  I guess it's good enough for me, and having it resolved completely would just be a bonus.

As a side note, I've also experienced times where the headset causes the computer to restart about 5 seconds after putting it on.  It's only happened a few times.  It must be some weird quirk relating to the sleep mode for the headset.  This is especially annoying for me because I haven't figured out a way around it, though like I said, it's been pretty rare.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
If someone of you gigabyte motherboard guys want to bite the bullet and try new power supply, it might be worth trying. Now I've seen 3 cases where this has fixed either power downs or black screens. In all of the cases old power supply has been 550W. However it is good to keep in mind, that performance of PSU will degrade over time. This also means that even more powerful PSU's will eventually face the same fate.
Your symptoms are very similar to those 3 other cases, but I am still bit puzzled with the gigabyte motherboard on the equation. One explanation could be, that it could be more power hungry than most boards out there and hence trigger the power downs more frequently...
Anyways this is really roll of the dice... just wanted to bring options to the table if some1 wants to take the shot...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys!

One more with the same problem. I just updated my PC to have more power and I find this mess.

I have : 
  • Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 (rev 1.0) Motherboard
  • i9-9900k CPU
  • Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti GPU
  • Corsair RM850i PSU
  • Windows 10 Home 1903

Has anyone been able to fix it?