cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Luciferous
Consultant
Hmm not sure I am that brave or curious 🙂 Remember in the old days when you could go to the shops and look at things ..sigh.

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Hmm not sure I am that brave or curious 🙂 Remember in the old days when you could go to the shops and look at things ..sigh.

I remember those days 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Amazon sell them, if you are a prime member you could order one for testing purposes and return.....errrr keep 😉

When a previous executive promised to send the LBE 5K+ (B) units over for review and they do not appear, that kind of tells me enough of what I need to know. Then going on Amazon to "hope" consumer versions will turn up... nah will pass. Good luck Pimax! Sorry strayed off Index..[slaps wrist] - back on Index topic.

Just watched the latest TESTED VR Minute - those guys seem conflicted on how they rate the severity of the Knuckles situation. I hope they are not playing to the gallery.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

I don’t really have an option with FOV being a High priority on my want list.

I cant go back to binocular Vision. Wish I could try an index out.

That's always been my number 1 priority, imagine if CV1 had of released with 140 fov or 180 fov! Just imagine how amazing that would have been.

I really hope Rift CV2 has at least 180 fov, hopefully all future HMD's increase their FOV.

That's the one thing I'm jealous of Pimax owners for having 200 degrees FOV. But the reason I didn't get PImax is because it seems like it had a few problems and didn't have decent controllers. The feeling I got from watching YouTube reviews was that Pimax was difficult to use, hard to setup and had many issues. Like you would need to spend a lot of time tweaking it with software etc.

Where as with Rift you just put it on and play.

One thing I will say I'm surprised about with regards to Valve Index reviews is that when Valve Index was first presented to us as pre-order it was made to seem like it had a massive increase in FOV, didn't they say 130 fov? or something like that, or was that just a rumour? Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully someone can clarify what the FOV was initially said to be? 

But in the most recent reviews from people who have a Valve Index they're saying "the fov is only slightly increased". So I'm surprised about that.

I would have thought people coming from Rift CV1 to Valve Index would have been like "WOW! THE FOV INCREASE IS AMAZING!!!" But that's not what I'm seeing so far.

I guess I'll have to wait and see when mine arrives for myself but I'm going to keep an open mind. I might tell myself to expect the same FOV as Rift S and then if it's even slightly better I will be happy.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The Fov increase with the hp reverb was 114 but whilst it seemed better left to right, up and down seemed reduced. But the res made up for it. One day proper 4k with 220 fov will happen 😉

jab
Rising Star
With 'only' 4K at 220 fov it will probably look worse resolution wise then what we have today. And 4K VR would be pushing even next gen graphics cards.
So solving the foveated rendering challenge (eye tracking) is probably the key to having our dream VR headset in the near future. With foveated rendering suddenly almost any resolution display (8K+) would be feasible from a graphics card performance viewpoint.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

jab said:

With 'only' 4K at 220 fov it will probably look worse resolution wise then what we have today. And 4K VR would be pushing even next gen graphics cards.
So solving the foveated rendering challenge (eye tracking) is probably the key to having our dream VR headset in the near future. With foveated rendering suddenly almost any resolution display (8K+) would be feasible from a graphics card performance viewpoint.

I get what your saying and I agree with what your saying, your logic seems sound.

But I would still hope we get FOV increases at least to 180 with current tech and current technology in the mean time.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Luciferous
Consultant
I think the 130-135 is derived from the additional vertical FOV. I presume that is why you get so many differing reports. I would thought horizontal FOV improvement would be the most noticeable.

jab
Rising Star

My Index controllers work with his Pimax.

That's one of the main benefits with SteamVR. It's not tied to a single brand, allowing you to mix and match to better suite your needs/wallet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll just leave this here...

😄 😛 😄