cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is the quest so hard to get ahold of?

Lucasjman
Honored Guest
I have been trying for about 2 months to get my hands on a quest! I understand that it is new and lots of people want them, however I ordered mine when the quest first came out on amazon. I waited until it was supposed to arrive and it never did, when I checked it said that there was none available, and the new estimated date was in august, but there was no confirmation that I would get one by then either. I ordered one from oculus today and canceled my amazon order, however it's still looking like i'll be waiting until august now. I am just curious what the current holdup is I suppose
14 REPLIES 14

Zenitharie
Explorer
Amazon is really bad with their orders for oculus since it's a huge platform that's where most people go to buy the quest. They are always out of stock for it and the orders keep piling up. Ordering off of oculus is a much better solution it will just take a bit of time to ship. 

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
I have I have to say, I ordered my Quest from Amazon & it arrived a few days later. Mind you, I ordered the 128gb version. The 64gb was out of stock.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not just Amazon...I have 14 Best Buys in Vancouver and surrounding areas, and when I bought my Quest back on June 3rd, there were only 2 stores that still had stock, and only the 128GB models at that. Fast forward to today...completely sold out of the 64GB models, both in-store and online, with only 6 of the 14 local stores having the 128GB models, while being sold out online. They've had stock come in since I got mine June 3rd, they just sold out that fast again.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=oculus+quest
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/reserve-and-pickup/13542986?flow=0

D_W_S_
Explorer
There's really no excuse for it being as bad as it is, the Rift ran into the same issues. I for example ordered a Quest from Amazon on June 28th, with an estimated delivery of July 17-23rd. It still hasn't shipped and now the estimated delivery is July 23rd. From what I can gather from forum threads it's quite likely to slide past that and then get another waiting period. If you look online retailers who have it sooner are often overcharging for it, in one case I saw a 64gb quest for $750 from a retailer, which is absurd.

It doesn't seem to be a retailer issue though to me. It seems that Oculus doesn't have the hardware to meet the demand. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

D.W.S. said:

There's really no excuse for it being as bad as it is, the Rift ran into the same issues. I for example ordered a Quest from Amazon on June 28th, with an estimated delivery of July 17-23rd. It still hasn't shipped and now the estimated delivery is July 23rd. From what I can gather from forum threads it's quite likely to slide past that and then get another waiting period. If you look online retailers who have it sooner are often overcharging for it, in one case I saw a 64gb quest for $750 from a retailer, which is absurd.

It doesn't seem to be a retailer issue though to me. It seems that Oculus doesn't have the hardware to meet the demand. 

lol...you don't understand supply and demand then. You don't produce 100,000 units, unless you know you're actually going to sell 100,000 units. You go 10's of thousands at a time. They literally sold faster than anyone at Facebook even imagined. And Oculus isn't the first to go through this either. Vive went through this last year.

Anonymous
Not applicable
btw...just for reference, Facebook thought they'd do 1.3 million...in a year. They've already sold 1.1 million, in less than 2 months.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/12/facebook-oculus-will-never-break-through-co-founder-jack-mccaule...

D_W_S_
Explorer

Spuzzum said:

lol...you don't understand supply and demand then. You don't produce 100,000 units, unless you know you're actually going to sell 100,000 units. You go 10's of thousands at a time. They literally sold faster than anyone at Facebook even imagined. And Oculus isn't the first to go through this either. Vive went through this last year.

It seemed reasonable to expect that the Quest was going to do well from the pre-launch hype. We're not talking about a small company here. This is company backed by Facebook. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

D.W.S. said:

Spuzzum said:

It seemed reasonable to expect that the Quest was going to do well from the pre-launch hype. We're not talking about a small company here. This is company backed by Facebook. 

They forecasted 1.3 million for an entire year...they sold 1.1 million in less than 2 months. Are you serious?

D_W_S_
Explorer
The article you referenced it the only article I've seen that has come close to speculating on those sales numbers. Most of the other articles estimate it as far lower. Until we have some official numbers from Oculus themselves it's all speculation but going by the number of reviews of top selling games we can try to extrapolate a little.

Beat Saber is the #1 selling title and it has just over 2500 reviews. Vader Immortal has 1777 reviews. Very few other titles have reached 1000 reviews. Robo Recall has 718, Sairento 303, Virtual Desktop 187, Racket Fury 306, Creed 194, and Moss 426. The review counts reflect more than there are probably fewer than a few hundred thousand Quests out there and not 1.1 million. 

The reviews are positive. The demand is there. But it seems to me that momentum is being lost due to the inability to meet hardware demands.