cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App won't connect to Wi-fi after pairing Oculus Quest.. getting misleading incorrect message

OculusQuestDayO
Explorer

I am not able to setup my new Oculus Quest..

-On the app it shows device is paired ....

-but on the next step when I enter the wi-fi
password I get misleading error message which says " Incorrect wifi user
name or password etc..." I can assure that the wi-fi password is correct
and the error is totally misleading..

-While it is stuck at the wi-fi connection with
misleading incorrect password message.. In this stage If I restart the
headset.. I see on the screen it shows " The oculus quest is being updated...
you will be notified on your phone when the device is ready.. etc.." and
at this stage the oculus connection shows up in my wi-fi router.. hence it
confirms the previous error about wrong wi-fi password is incorrect.

-But the device update it never completes.. I tried
waiting for more than 12 hours for the update to finish but it just wont go any
further and at the end the device goes back to defaults and shows the 5 digit
code again to setup the device..

-I am using Andoid 5 and 2.4ghz wifi. I tried changing
my wi-fi password to something simple, tried setting up with different phone,
and also tried connecting with entirely new wi-fi and also tested with mobile
hot spot... every time exact same issue..

- also did factory reset and tested but still same
issue.. tested changing wi-fi channel settings as well.

- I am not sure if I am not meeting pre-requisites
that oculus quest needs or its just the issue with my headset..

- Already opened support ticket with Oculus but
still waiting on update on that ticket..

-Really appreciate If anyone can help me how I can
troubleshoot this issue.

28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had exactly the same problem. The Oculus support suggested to try logging in to another router (e.g. a friend's). I tried repeatedly logging in for 1 hour or so and suddenly it worked - I still don't know why. Maybe you should be close to the router. It is definitely a some frustrating bug. 

Did you keep pressing try again? or did you close and re enter the app?

I tried both. I did not reinstall the Oculus App however. This problem only occurs when you start using the headset the first time, because you don't get past the 1st screen where it suggests to download the Oculus App for the phone. After one successful connection you have access to the headset menu. There you can connect directly with the headset by typing in the Wifi password with the touch controller and the virtual keyboard (easier when someone is is spelling it out loudly esp. If it is a complex password...). I think the bug is in the phone app.

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

Had exactly the same problem. The Oculus support suggested to try logging in to another router (e.g. a friend's). I tried repeatedly logging in for 1 hour or so and suddenly it worked - I still don't know why. Maybe you should be close to the router. It is definitely a some frustrating bug. 

Did you keep pressing try again? or did you close and re enter the app?

I tried both. I did not reinstall the Oculus App however. This problem only occurs when you start using the headset the first time, because you don't get past the 1st screen where it suggests to download the Oculus App for the phone. After one successful connection you have access to the headset menu. There you can connect directly with the headset by typing in the Wifi password with the touch controller and the virtual keyboard (easier when someone is is spelling it out loudly esp. If it is a complex password...). I think the bug is in the phone app.

Thanks. Yeah i had a similar issue with my go the first time, it's so annoying that it only needs to connect once and then you are able to use it. I'm really not sure if i have a faulty headset or not. 

OculusQuestDayO
Explorer
I was able to setup using a phone with Android 8 OS.

MuzzyQuest2
Honored Guest
I'll have the same problem. I tried to make initial setup with my 5.1 android Tablet - didn't want to buy new cell phone just to make a setup. But after a week of struggling - I buy new $35 phone with android 8.1 and all initial setup went through without any troubles. Now I guess I can get rid of this phone  😕

flamepineapple9
Honored Guest
also having this issue with first time set up. It just sits on 50% downloaded. did a factory reset and it showed 100% but still frozen and didn't complete. Tried it again and it's back to 50% downloaded. I have tried 2 different wifi networks. Don't have an android device in the house, so can't try that option...I hope support gets back soon. 

Jervi
Explorer
Hi, I have same problem. I have tried to change any setting on my router/modem. I have uninstalled app and reinstalled it. I have used my phone (android 5.02) as hotspot. Nothing work. I'm desperate.

BeerDog
Explorer
has anyone figured this out yet?  i have seen several posts about this issue, but no solutions.

BeerDog
Explorer
Fixed for me.  Switched from WEP to WPA2 on router.  WEP is obsolete anyway, but was default on my old router.  Hope this helps someone. 

Jervi
Explorer
I solved. I have installed the app on my girlfriend's phone with android 7.

RayRift
Protege
I have no new information except low battery causes wi-fi to not connect? I'm experiencing the unconnectable wi-fi toggel at 20% power... charging to see if that's the deal..