cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

Are you gonna take the plunge mate ?

I think so, but I'd like to stall it as long as possible to increase odds of Valve fixing the Knuckles, it seems I've only got 7 days... 

Well, my opinion hasn't changed much after using it for a couple of weeks so this will probably be the last post on my impressions of it but I'll sum up some things one more time.  

It's kind of frustrating for me that there's so much that I do like about the HMD and the optics (clarity, no blur from edge to edge, SDE is beyond the threshold of it being a problem etc) and it gets negated by glare for me in possibly as many as 1/5th to 1/4th of my games. I really love the comfort of the headset and the Audio is superb....as long as you're in a fairly quiet room. After doing some testing on it with the help of a friend, you definitely can still hear your surroundings while playing. 

Seems I hit the lotto with my knuckles as my thumb sticks work great. The knuckles are as nice as I thought they'd be to use without having to hold on to them. Once I got my hand positioning figured out, finger tracking works good and pretty reliably. Every now and again I'll get some anomalies but for the most part it does what I want. It's definitely not a fully natural tracking though and does take some getting used to. Just need more games to fully utilize it now. 

Speaking of tracking, With this I have no issue anywhere in my space. Really enjoyable to play my games how I want. I can move my hands as fast and as violently as I want, do windmills, do whatever and it tracks everything perfectly. The highlight of the kit by far. I'm not sure how much better this is over the 1.0 base stations as I've only used a Vive once in 2017 and the one I used had some Jitter, but this kit is flawless to my perceptions.  

I also noticed that if I lose power (which I've been having blinks with the hurricane lol) my base stations activate when the power returns. I have them set to go to sleep when I close SteamVR. If power is interrupted, they will both be on when it comes back on. I have to launch SteamVR and close it again to sleep them again. That's pretty much the extent of the problems I've encountered so far. No issues with software. 

Overall, Knuckles and Base stations are great and the HMD has a lot of great features that I love but I will likely upgrade the HMD to something higher res without glare at first opportunity. For now, i'm enjoying it. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Pyroth309 said:

Speaking of tracking, With this I have no issue anywhere in my space. Really enjoyable to play my games how I want. I can move my hands as fast and as violently as I want, do windmills, do whatever and it tracks everything perfectly.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Bloody heck!!!! Go pyroth.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Pyroth309 said:

Speaking of tracking, With this I have no issue anywhere in my space. Really enjoyable to play my games how I want. I can move my hands as fast and as violently as I want, do windmills, do whatever and it tracks everything perfectly.

Never could do that with Touch without losing tracking, awesome that it's finally possible with Knuckles! 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Either Valve ramped up production (probably not likely) or many have cancelled their Index pre-orders (probably likely) explaining why persons expecting to get the Index in August or September are able to buy the Index (full kit) now. It's all over Reddit - a lot persons waiting are now able to purchase. But it seems a lot will not purchase until the Knuckles have been confirmed fixed. 

As much as I would love to hear your review, If I were you I would wait. I see a lot of people cancelling reserves on reddit at the moment with the same concerns other the controller issue. I don't think missing the reserve will now mean an enormous delay in you getting one.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

I get 110 with the Index and 140 on a friends Pimax. The image quality on the Pimax is very good but the SDE on the Index is slightly less. Blacks are about the same. 

My Index just works with just about everything including Revive. My mates Pimax has more problems with certain steam titles and on revive. 

There are zero distortions with the Index it’s perfect but a lot of distortions on the Pimax on the outer 3rd. There’s some room wobble on the Pimax too. 

I’d be happy with either but the Index is a more mainstream device with less bugs/niggles.

My Index controllers work with his Pimax.

Thanks for the info mate. How are the knuckle controllers for you? Any issues like others have reported? Do they work fine for all games? Like Onward/Beat Saber/Audica/Pavlov/In Death etc? Have you tried a lot of games?

The Index sounds perfect to me, but the only thing that worries me is the reports of faulty knuckle controllers, can you please put my mind at ease?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Luciferous
Consultant
I think this is also where the FOV reviews differ. If the Vive is 110 at best and the CV1 95-100, depending what headset you had previously and how much you dial it in, you are going to see a bigger comparative difference. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

I think this is also where the FOV reviews differ. If the Vive is 110 at best and the CV1 95-100, depending what headset you had previously and how much you dial it in, you are going to see a bigger comparative difference. 

Yeah that would make sense. Perhaps then Rift CV1 owners will notice the biggest the difference. I'm staying optimistic that it will be better then what us Rift CV1/S owners have now.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Luciferous
Consultant
Still pretty disappointing though, to be told its 130 and others saying a bit bigger than the Vive Pffttt. 20 degrees should be a massive difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still pretty disappointing though, to be told its 130 and others saying a bit bigger than the Vive Pffttt. 20 degrees should be a massive difference.

Maybe they are learning how to use Pimax math LOL.