cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal? (Glare) (Oculus quest)

jmstoker95
Protege
Hello all.

Some of you may have seen my previous post, but I have decided to make another since my question has slightly changed.

When ever the center of my headset's vision is on a dark colour, a glare appears in the center of the headset vision that appears to be a reflection of any white/light colours near by. 

I have taken a few screen shots and tried to simulate the glare I get, please see the screen shots below.

8gq6xs4b35ko.jpg

Above we see the original screen shot.

In the image below I have attempted to recreate the glare I see in my headset (center of black image). If I tilt the headset up and down, the glare moves up and down (the glare is always in the center of the vision). I think the glare is a reflection of the white pixels below the black image.

sq00njn4zpkv.jpg

In the next image I have widened the screen so there is now white at the bottom and sides. You can therefore see that the centered glare reflection matches the white pixels.

fd16ver4f282.jpg

This sort of glare always appears in the center of the vision, when enough lightly coloured pixels are present. So, I also get this glare from the aurora lights in the sky in the background. The glare is only visible when there is a lot of dark, for example in the Vader Immortal game. 

I have come across "god rays", where the glare emanates from white pixels. However, this glare is always in the center of the headset vision. When I look up as in the image below, I don't see any glare on the black image. The glare moves up and stays in the center of the headset vision. 

sfupjyiehzxs.jpg

Would anyone please be willing to try this experiment on their quest and see if you get the same glare? To do this test I simply searched for images using the search word "black" in the oculus browser, and selected an image.

The glare intensity is similar if not worse than what I have tried to create here, and there is more glare all around in general.

I would be very curious to hear if others get the same results. I would like to know, as I can still get a replacement since I ordered through Amazon.

Some more points in case anyone is curous:
- If I close either eye, the glare remains the same (so I don't think it is a scratch)
- If I rotate my head, the glare doesn't change
- If I move my head up/down/left/right  the glare goes up/down/left/right (always stays in the center)

Thanks! 
51 REPLIES 51

Raiwon
Protege
so this is normal ? cant see much reports about it, but they seem to have it to : https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bx0cdy/cant_work_out_if_im_seeing_godrays_a_permanent/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Raiwon said:

so this is normal ? cant see much reports about it, but they seem to have it to : https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bx0cdy/cant_work_out_if_im_seeing_godrays_a_permanent/...

I think they're talking about 2 different things. jmstoker95 seems to be experiencing the screen being lighter in the center of the image, while the users on reddit seem to be talking about reflections. I get the same thing the reddit users are experiencing...tons of reflections when wearing my glasses. I literally get a row of tiny Oculus logos at the bottom of my lenses when the Quest first boots up. I haven't tried without my glasses yet though, but I didn't have this issue with my Go. Not sure why...the only difference I know of is the Go has an LCD screen, while the Quest is OLED. But I don't see how that could make a difference. The reddit users also said a smudge or something in the middle of their vision...I don't get that, just the reflections.

Raiwon
Protege

How its described is the same as my quest, it comes across like a reflection of something else on the scene making a horizontal spot/smudge where the color appears lighter around the middle…

Luckily its not always visible but it can be distracting.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I'm just not seeing it from all the reflections on my glasses. I'll have something to look forward to then when I get my prescription inserts. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I was just in my Quest in the Update tab/screen. It had the curved backdrop/screen, and the center was lighter than the rest, but it faded darker as it goes towards the edges. That's intentional...helps give the image depth for 3D.

Noooot
Explorer
I just got this issue out of nowhere. It's really distracting. It does seem like a reflection of what the screen is displaying. Has anyone found a fix?

laudbrian
Explorer
To help out my four eyed friends @_@ I've been using these magnetic lens prescription adapters and they have totally changed my experience comfort wise, I have big frames. These adapters stay in place with some strong magnets so no worry about fog or scratches. Really easy to remove if you're sharing your Quest with other users as I do this with the kid and wife as they have perfect eyesight. They are less than half the price of competitors like WidmoVR/VR Optician. You will need the magnetic adapters and $9.95 prescription lens from Zenni with simple instructions in the listing. They are 3D printed just like the rest of what's available out there. https://www.etsy.com/listing/710848026/oculus-quest-magnetic-prescription-lens

Spacecowboy2020
Honored Guest

Noooot said:

I just got this issue out of nowhere. It's really distracting. It does seem like a reflection of what the screen is displaying. Has anyone found a fix?

I do have exactly the same, with the difference that it appeared when I first put my Quest on. First I thought that it is some dirt on the lenses, but actually, it is completely clean.
The reason is that the white part of the screen is reflecting (somehow) on the lens and this is crating the reflection.

I would need to check it on another Quest to see if it is the same (what I guess).

It is only there if you have a very light picture (white) and a darker one surrounding it.

pflanze_42
Honored Guest

Noooot said:

I do have exactly the same, with the difference that it appeared when I first put my Quest on. First I thought that it is some dirt on the lenses, but actually, it is completely clean.
The reason is that the white part of the screen is reflecting (somehow) on the lens and this is crating the reflection.

I would need to check it on another Quest to see if it is the same (what I guess).

It is only there if you have a very light picture (white) and a darker one surrounding it.

I have the same issue with glare / reflection on my Oculus Quest. I think it's likely a hardware defect of the lenses. 

Did you check it on another Quest already?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Noooot said:

Try pivoting/tilting the headset up or down by swivelling the arms. It may just be the angle of the lenses to your eyes. I get a lot of reflections...both off my own glasses, and the light off the screens reflecting back off my eye balls. Tilting the headset seems to help.