cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S mic sounds like a roboter

Tjaard
Honored Guest
Hey Guys,

so I received my Oculus Rift S a few days ago. Yesterday I noticed a weird thing with the microphone of the Rift S. Most of the time my voice sounds normal but then suddenly my voice sounds like a robot. Most of the time this lasts for a couple of seconds but sometimes it lasts longer for half a minute or so. I dont know what to do. My drivers are up to date. I already tried reconnecting the Rift S but nothing helped so far. 

I really hope you can help me cause i dont want to refund my Rift. Maybe someone is having this issue as well. 

Thanks to all of you. 

Tjaard
15 REPLIES 15

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I had this issue, fixed it by not using extension kable.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

Fangzhou
Adventurer
Same here. 

After recent Oculus software update, my voice become noise (the sound is not voice at all, just noise) randomly everyday. It happens for several seconds then automatically become normal robotic voice (but at least it is voice). I tried to re-plugin cables many times, and not fixing, seems it's a software issue. 

Other than that, the voice quality itself is worse compared with CV1. 

It's either because Oculus use a garbage microphone hardware, or Oculus compress the voice signal too much (for removing the echo caused by open headphone on halo band). 
Using 3.5mm headphone does not fix it. 
Firmware update does not fix it. 
I have reported this issue to Oculus and submitted my full log three times. Oculus is not fixing it, they just ignored it since not many users need to care about microphone quality in VR environment.
Most user may not notice the microphone quality issue because they cannot hear the voice of themselves.
However, for me after I "upgrade" my CV1 to Rift S, several VRChat friends asking me "why use cheap voice changer, sounds terrible."(they don't know that I changed headset). 

I don't think Oculus is going to improve the voice quality, they don't even have ability to fix the static flashes. It's very possible just because microphone hardware itself is a cheap garbage, or the cable design have problem. Hardware problem cannot be fixed by a software update.

I think you should just go for refund and buy other VR headset. 

Downluck
Protege
I have the same issue, I keep opening support tickets to know if they can give me some hope, I'm hopeless with that though. The only thing they answered that makes sense is "We are aware about the problem", but they didn't mention any specific date for a new firmware release to fix this and the other headset problems. I keep waiting. Just know you are not alone with this annoying issue.

lenne0815
Adventurer
Had the same issue, different usb port ( Asmedia ) fixed it for me

RattyUK
Trustee
I tried my mic out for the first time last night (another Rifter but in USA), as I had no idea of how the Rift S sounded, reading the couple of issues here, I was quite happy to be told it sounded great.  Maybe worth those with issues creating a support ticket?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Tjaard
Honored Guest
Alright guys, i wrote to the oculus Support and they told me to disconnect all other microphones and close all other sound recording software. You then have to set the rift mic as standart device. I think this fixed it for me. At least in the last couple of hours I played. 

So everyone that is having the same issue give this a try. I let you know if it really fixed it for me for ever. 

AltarriStar
Explorer
I am having this same problem. I've tried reseating the cable, switching usbs, updating everything, disconnecting other mics and closing all recording software, yet the problem persists. Really disapointed since my main push to get vr was for vrchat. Has anyone found another possible solution?

Downluck
Protege

I am having this same problem. I've tried reseating the cable, switching usbs, updating everything, disconnecting other mics and closing all recording software, yet the problem persists. Really disapointed since my main push to get vr was for vrchat. Has anyone found another possible solution?

it seems to be a software issue, please open a support ticket to let them know it's a common issue. it'll be amazing if you could do it. ps. It happens to me as well.

AltarriStar
Explorer

Downluck said:

it seems to be a software issue, please open a support ticket to let them know it's a common issue. it'll be amazing if you could do it. ps. It happens to me as well.

Well, I've opened a support ticket and they keep telling me possible solutions, with none of them solving the problem. It basically keeps going back and forth unsuccessfully. I don't really know what else to do.