cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

Darrenteed
Explorer
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 
83 REPLIES 83

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Are you overclocking? 

Did you check your event logs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6fP8bV5Pb4

What about Oculus logs?

https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Darrenteed
Explorer
I got it!!!!!!
i created a new user profile on my computer and it worked. So, I copied the oculus related folders in each of the three folders in appdata on the new profile over to the existing profile and I am good to go!!!

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I got it!!!!!!
i created a new user profile on my computer and it worked. So, I copied the oculus related folders in each of the three folders in appdata on the new profile over to the existing profile and I am good to go!!!

Doesn't that suggest that there was some config information associated with your previous profile? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Darrenteed
Explorer
I would say yes and to me, it suggests that Oculus has something to fix. My fix also resolved the USB drivers being out of date issue people were experiencing. I did nothing to directly cause this to my knowledge and if I did, that's a problem. I want a functioning headset ya know?

It would disconnect as soon as the headset displays turned on. It felt like an issue with a Display port handshake, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it!!!!!!

Can you tell me which folders you copied over?  I am having a similar problem and while I don't want another profile on my PC  I am willing to try this if it fixes my problem.  My rift s was working fine until a few days ago... now its just black screen and wont come on when I place the headset on.  This was after windows 10 update.  I installed it on an older computer and it worked fine, but placed it back on my gaming PC and it still is not working so I know its a software issue....  I will create a new profile (and use just a single name) but I want to make sure I grab the correct folders?  I have never had more than one account on my PC...  would it be better to just reinstall on the new account (do I even have to do that?) or will it be there since its already on the PC?

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Just make new "local user with admin rights". Personally would recommend doing that 1st and trying if rift works out of the box there. You may need to run the setup/repair there also. If you get it to work, see if Oculus app started to work also on your original account after that.

In any case you can always delete the secondary account you created...

As unrelated info:
Most windows userprofile specific application data files are located at C:\Users\Username\AppData\
Oculus game folder should be shared and it's location is defined in oculus app settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

sraura said:

Just make new "local user with admin rights". Personally would recommend doing that 1st and trying if rift works out of the box there. You may need to run the setup/repair there also. If you get it to work, see if Oculus app started to work also on your original account after that.

In any case you can always delete the secondary account you created...

As unrelated info:
Most windows userprofile specific application data files are located at C:\Users\Username\AppData\
Oculus game folder should be shared and it's location is defined in oculus app settings.

My god, that worked....  sort of.  I created another account like you said and just named it a single name.  It went threw the setup process with the Rift S, and then it came on.  I was able to set up guardian mode... I didn't play any games yet, but it came on.  I logged out and went back to my original account, still broken.  I am wondering what I need to do to get it working again but I will let tech support know in my ticket it is working under a new account, but not my main.  And FYI, my main account has a space in the name like Joe Joe.  I am wondering if its the space....  Thank you for your help... now I just need them to get my main account working because I don't want to have to log in to another account just to use it...

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Awesome. It is easier to troubleshoot rest of the issue now. I'm sure you figure it out.

profman5
Protege
I had a similar problem and contacted Oculus Support.  The solution from Support that worked (after the Software backup listed below) involved uninstalling the Oculus App (in Safe Mode, no network support, although I suspect Safe Mode may not be required) and then deleting any remaining Oculus-related folders. Support listed the below locations from which to delete any Oculus folders (just the Oculus folders, not any other files or folders in these locations):
  1. C:\Program Files
  2. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
  3. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
  4. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
  5. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  6. C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
Boot back into normal Windows and do an install of the Oculus Software.  Then restore the Software folder that you backed up earlier.  Support gave a link to FAQ which describes how to backup your gaming Software before uninstalling the Oculus App.  This process is not trivial, but it is better than a nonfunctional headset.  [It also took me a few days, and a new cable, to get my monitor connection to work during the restart for Safe Mode.]

My system is, so far, back up and running.  I'm hoping it sticks.  I need to finish Moss.

This thread was a big help in getting me to understand where this problem probably originates from.  Thanks!

hibooou
Honored Guest

profman5 said:

I had a similar problem and contacted Oculus Support.  The solution from Support that worked (after the Software backup listed below) involved uninstalling the Oculus App (in Safe Mode, no network support, although I suspect Safe Mode may not be required) and then deleting any remaining Oculus-related folders. Support listed the below locations from which to delete any Oculus folders (just the Oculus folders, not any other files or folders in these locations):
  1. C:\Program Files
  2. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
  3. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
  4. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
  5. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  6. C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
Boot back into normal Windows and do an install of the Oculus Software.  Then restore the Software folder that you backed up earlier.  Support gave a link to FAQ which describes how to backup your gaming Software before uninstalling the Oculus App.  This process is not trivial, but it is better than a nonfunctional headset.  [It also took me a few days, and a new cable, to get my monitor connection to work during the restart for Safe Mode.]

My system is, so far, back up and running.  I'm hoping it sticks.  I need to finish Moss.

This thread was a big help in getting me to understand where this problem probably originates from.  Thanks!

Huge thank you to this! I had the exact issue OP had, and this method worked for me. I didn't need to boot in safe mode, however, I just ended any Oculus processes through task manager and then went through with the uninstall and deletion.