Oculus Rift S - Physical security of units — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S - Physical security of units

Hey guys,

I'm working in an exhibition space, where we have 4 Rift S units which can be used by the public to explore some of the experiences we are going to offer. 
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any ways that can be used to physically secure both the controllers and the headset?

The first way we were going to explore was drilling a hole through the controller (where the existing wrist strap is, denoted in red) then looping and crimping some steel cable and running this to an anchor point. 

The other way we have been exploring is by using a steel band around the narrowest part of the controller (denoted in yellow), then attaching this to some steel cable and running this to an anchor point. We're worried that this will impact some of the control buttons however. 

Can anyone see any issues with either of these methods? Or better yet, are there better ways to secure them that other people have used with success?

Cheers

Answers

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player
    Honestly I think option 1 has the best chance of working just make sure you dont interfere with the battery bay.
    WAAAGH!
  • JordanHaimesJordanHaimes Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Morgrum said:
    Honestly I think option 1 has the best chance of working just make sure you dont interfere with the battery bay.
    I agree, I was going to use a bit through the existing area where the wrist straps are and continue this through all the way.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,723 Volunteer Moderator
    It’s not ideal to tether the controllers, from a user perspective. In demos I’ve seen, they basically have a person per device who’s job it is to keep an eye on the hardware, as well as spotting for the user while they’re in VR. Interns or volunteers are a cheap and easy answer for temporary exhibits.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB