cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Either Valve ramped up production (probably not likely) or many have cancelled their Index pre-orders (probably likely) explaining why persons expecting to get the Index in August or September are able to buy the Index (full kit) now. It's all over Reddit - a lot persons waiting are now able to purchase. But it seems a lot will not purchase until the Knuckles have been confirmed fixed. 

As much as I would love to hear your review, If I were you I would wait. I see a lot of people cancelling reserves on reddit at the moment with the same concerns other the controller issue. I don't think missing the reserve will now mean an enormous delay in you getting one.

Yeah, but my Birthday is next week and I can't think of a better present to give to myself :blush: 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
Well would love to hear your opinion ?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I've decided that £600 is the most I'll pay for for a VR headset. If I win the lottery I might change my mind. I've now realised my credit card is not my lottery win. 😉
I also suspect foveated rendering isn't to far away, so spending that amount without hearing what Oculus has to say in Sept might be a bad idea.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Either Valve ramped up production (probably not likely) or many have cancelled their Index pre-orders (probably likely) explaining why persons expecting to get the Index in August or September are able to buy the Index (full kit) now. It's all over Reddit - a lot persons waiting are now able to purchase. But it seems a lot will not purchase until the Knuckles have been confirmed fixed. 

I just got my reservation. It was supposed to be August 31st but I'll get it in a few days. 

I was expecting it early. I think they were just cautious with their expected dates. It's better that your customers are pleasantly surprised when you come in early than angry that you've missed the date. 

I feel sick about spending $1k on yet another headset. But I want to feel what it's like to have proper IPD adjustment. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still pretty disappointing though, to be told its 130 and others saying a bit bigger than the Vive Pffttt. 20 degrees should be a massive difference.

If you're talking about the horizontal or vertical FOV it's only 10° PER EYE so you won't notice that much difference.

Also the FOV that every individual sees depends entirely on the size and shape of their heads and faces.

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

Still pretty disappointing though, to be told its 130 and others saying a bit bigger than the Vive Pffttt. 20 degrees should be a massive difference.

If you're talking about the horizontal or vertical FOV it's only 10° PER EYE so you won't notice that much difference.

Also the FOV that every individual sees depends entirely on the size and shape of their heads and faces.

Yea for me it's larger but it's not a wow larger because you can see the edges of the panels when you increase it to the max which I find quite distracting. I enjoy the headset more when I back the Eye relief off until the edges aren't very visible and at that distance the FoV isn't significantly wider than my O+. Maybe 10 degrees. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me the Rift S has around a 10° increase in FOV by my guestimation.

It's a bit difficult to tell though because the Rift and Rift S  FOVs have a different shape. The Rift feels like you're wearing swimming goggles or looking through binoculars but the Rift S feels more like you're wearing a ski mask or scuba mask.

Luciferous
Consultant
First first time I have heard the S has increased fov and a different shape. Interesting as the cv1 has a scuba mask like appearance if you do the straps up real tight however seeing the straight  edges also is distracting for me.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, but my Birthday is next week and I can't think of a better present to give to myself :blush: 

Have you got your email yet? I just checked and I still can't buy it yet!

I'm quite fed up with the tracking now on my Rift S that at this point I can't wait to move to Index just for the perfect tracking.

I know I keep going back and forth with the Rift S but that's because they keep releasing updates which make the tracking worse!  :smile:

Is there only one way to buy Index? Straight from Steam?

EDIT: If the Index turns out great when it arrives I'm planning on giving my Rift S to my best friend who can't afford VR but wants to get into it. I think him and his son will appreciate it more then a refund anyways.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Calibos
Heroic Explorer

RedRizla said:

I've decided that £600 is the most I'll pay for for a VR headset. If I win the lottery I might change my mind. I've now realised my credit card is not my lottery win. 😉
I also suspect foveated rendering isn't to far away, so spending that amount without hearing what Oculus has to say in Sept might be a bad idea.

What gives you that idea. The big (disappointing) takeaway from Michael Abrashs' keynote at OC5 2018 was that while the R&D for most specs/features/technologies that he made 5 year predictions about back at OC3 in 2016 were advancing further and faster than he predicted, the keystone technology required to be in place in order to implement most of the others was unfortunately advancing slower/harder nut to crack likely a year longer than predicted back in 2016. He was of course talking about Eyetracking with Foveated Rendering. This is why 2022 became the date you see people mention all the time in relation to Oculus Rift 2.0. ie. His 5 year 2016 prediction for 2021 is a year behind schedule and is now 2022. 

Are you basing your suspicions on Vive Pro Eye? Thats a very primitive implementation and nowhere near consumer ready or delivering the kind of performance benefits to make it worthwhile.