cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

jayhawk
Superstar

dburne said:

There will be no Half Dome.
The only reason we got a Rift S was all the public outcry especially after other PC-VR announcements from other companies, and them making an agreement with Lenovo to try and pacify the Oculus PC-VR enthusiasts.
Anyway back to topic as we were asked to keep to

I think it was to pacify, but only for a more affordable true gen 2. I think we'll see another PCVR HMD from Oculus, but only one more. Now, back to the intended topic as we were asked to do......

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, but my Birthday is next week and I can't think of a better present to give to myself :blush: 

Have you got your email yet? I just checked and I still can't buy it yet!

I'm quite fed up with the tracking now on my Rift S that at this point I can't wait to move to Index just for the perfect tracking.

I know I keep going back and forth with the Rift S but that's because they keep releasing updates which make the tracking worse!  :smile:

Is there only one way to buy Index? Straight from Steam?

EDIT: If the Index turns out great when it arrives I'm planning on giving my Rift S to my best friend who can't afford VR but wants to get into it. I think him and his son will appreciate it more then a refund anyways.

I got the email last week, rarely been this much in doubt about buying something, but I just paid for the Index. Guess I have 14 days to try it and can return it if needed. 
Apart from the SDE, my CV1 is truly awesome, so not sure I really need the Index. I anticipate that the Knuckles won't work correctly and that I might have to replace them - with all the hassle that may include. Not sure I'd recommend anyone to buy the Index right now, unless they are fully aware of the risk of having to spend time on faulty or problematic hardware and software.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

I got the email last week, rarely been this much in doubt about buying something, but I just paid for the Index. Guess I have 14 days to try it and can return it if needed. 
Apart from the SDE, my CV1 is truly awesome, so not sure I really need the Index. I anticipate that the Knuckles won't work correctly and that I might have to replace them - with all the hassle that may include. Not sure I'd recommend anyone to buy the Index right now, unless they are fully aware of the risk of having to spend time on faulty or problematic hardware and software.

Do you have a tracking number yet? Mine says "Shipping Soon" No tracking number yet. 

I feel the same way. It was rough paying $1k. The Rift-S is pretty good but I can't help but wonder what it's like with IPD. 

VR has become an addiction. I bought a 1080ti then 2080ti for VR. Then I bought the Rift-S and now the Index. I'll have 3 headsets. 

I'll give the cv1 to my bro. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ok rune well let's see what you make of it then. Especially with regards to super-sampling.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Only got the standard email that Valve has received the payment and confirmed the order, but I paid late last evening, so I won't expect any shipping before later today - or maybe tomorrow or early next week. Another dude from my country paid day 1, got shipping confirmation day 2 and received the Index day 4. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'd think about buying the index with 2 conditions.
1. I could pick up 2 lighthouse thingies for a tenner each.
2. Touch worked with the headset.

Any chances ?? 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Luciferous
Consultant
I'll buy it also if it's CV1 touch not Rift S touch. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Any chances ?? 😉

I so wanted to get the Touch working with another headset, using the same method they use to get Vive wands working with WMR headsets, and even read in a comment by Sweviver that although he tried, the tracking would stop due to the CV1 going to sleep. Then seeing how SteamVR allows you to use the Quest as a wireless headset, I figured I'd try to see if I could get the Touch OG's working with it. Unfortunately, unless it's just the Quest, but as soon as I plugged the CV1 into the USB slot to activate the Touch OG controllers, the icon representing the Quest in the SteamVR message box starts blinking, and the controller icons go grey. It didn't work. Unless I just did it wrong. We might be able to get the Knuckles working with the Quest though. 😛

pyroth309
Visionary

I'm quite fed up with the tracking now on my Rift S that at this point I can't wait to move to Index just for the perfect tracking.

Yep, it's the main reason I kept the kit. I would have sent it back even with my wife loving it if it weren't for the tracking. I went back to my Odyssey with the WMR controllers after using my Index and I was like man fuck this lol. Can't do it. 

Just make sure you have no reflective surfaces visible to them and you should get awesome tracking. Windows, mirrors, glasses etc. 

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, but my Birthday is next week and I can't think of a better present to give to myself :blush: 

Have you got your email yet? I just checked and I still can't buy it yet!

I know I keep going back and forth with the Rift S but that's because they keep releasing updates which make the tracking worse!  :smile:

Is there only one way to buy Index? Straight from Steam?

EDIT: If the Index turns out great when it arrives I'm planning on giving my Rift S to my best friend who can't afford VR but wants to get into it. I think him and his son will appreciate it more then a refund anyways.

Yep send it back if you aren't happy with it. Valve is slow to respond but they will take it back. It's definitely a headset with pros and cons. I actually received a RMA from Valve before I canceled. I was going to send it back and then just re-buy knuckles and base stations but with all the reports of bad knuckles I would have been pissed if I sent mine back which are functional and got broken ones lol. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Any chances ?? 😉

HTC Cosmos looks to have similar controllers to the CV1 and that's why I'm waiting to see what price it is. It even has a better resolution then Valve index and we should know a lot more about it soon.