cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having a horrible time with my headset, please someone help.

Daphic
Sightseer
Hey there. I’m fairly new to PC gaming and having Oculus, so I’m going to try my best to explain the things I’ve been experiencing so far. From what I remember, for the first week or so of oculus I had great performance with everything being very smooth and no signs of lag, but that’s changed a bit since then.

(https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nvtMFt) This is my rig. Except from instead of using a 1070 I’m using a 1070 mini.

Here’s basically all of the problems I’ve faced:

- “Dragging frames” this is the only word I can use to describe this problem and happens mostly when I’m turning using the in game turn. It basically looks like when I’m turning some frames are distorting and catching up with the other ones. To replicate what it looks like when it happens, I can only say it looks like a parts of the screen are trying to catch up to each other and is terrible. I’ve seen it in rec room, blade and sorcery, onward, pokerstars even oculus home.

- Bad frames in general. Even at the oculus home where things used to be the smoothest for me I’ve been having a few frame drops a lot. Even in games in rec room jumping can cause jitteriness.

- “screen Frames” this is another one that happens sometimes but is the rarest to come across. It looks like this . Basically it’s as if the surroundings become a still screen and I can look around seeing blackness.

I’m hoping there’s a solution to this or I can find the problem on my end. I would not be surprised if there’s a chance I’ve messed something up in the process of setting the pc up but so far everything looks good on my end. Hope someone can help ? I have uninstalled drivers, DDU’d my drivers, unplugged and replugged wires in the computer. I’m get to get any help on this issue and am hoping someone can please help me out with this, it’s really not been one bit fun for me yet.

When I did my VR performance test on steam (https://imgur.com/a/BWTaZ4B) I was told it would be perfect for VR, but any game I run seems to disagree with that statement, and the test still gives those exact results.
15 REPLIES 15

sraura
Heroic Explorer

Daphic said:

- SSD storage is actually really quite low 
- To be 100% honest I actually never downloaded my motherboard drivers mostly because everyone was telling me it wasn’t important. Is it a priority?

The SSD storage being low could play part because if you are running low on memory and windows controls the virtual memory storage locations, it may use that SSD as default and when that runs out of space, it may use your hard disk for VM. That will definitely show in system performance. You can check the details by:
  • writing "advanced system settings" to windows 10 search box and hitting enter
  • in this new "system properties"-window, go to "advanced tab" and under "performance"-section click "settings"
  • in this new "performance options"-window go to "advanced tab".
  • on bottom you can see "virtual memory"-section and total paging file size for all drives. There is also "change"-button, which takes you to details. VM should be on SSD disk*. You can take control of these settings**.
*) if you have more than one SSD disk, put VM to the one which is not the windows system disk.
**) if you do - as a general rule - the maximum size of the paging file should be x1.5
the amount of RAM installed. For example for 16GB of RAM,
the maximum size of the swap should be 1024 x 16 x 1.5 = 24576MB. For minimum usually the amount what windows suggests as "recommended" should be good enough.

What comes to the driver question I would say that as general rule;
  • it is good to install those manufacturers drivers right after windows installation.
  • keep bios updated to latest version at least 6-12 months after the release of the motherboard
  • check for further updates to bios/drivers if you're experiencing issues with your system.
  • to desktop computers display driver should be downloaded from gpu manufacturers support site
That being said - for older motherboards windows usually tends to offer rather well working drivers. For laptops however I would recommend using only the manufactures drivers if available.

Daphic
Sightseer

sraura said:

Daphic said:

- SSD storage is actually really quite low 
- To be 100% honest I actually never downloaded my motherboard drivers mostly because everyone was telling me it wasn’t important. Is it a priority?

The SSD storage being low could play part because if you are running low on memory and windows controls the virtual memory storage locations, it may use that SSD as default and when that runs out of space, it may use your hard disk for VM. That will definitely show in system performance. You can check the details by:
  • writing "advanced system settings" to windows 10 search box and hitting enter
  • in this new "system properties"-window, go to "advanced tab" and under "performance"-section click "settings"
  • in this new "performance options"-window go to "advanced tab".
  • on bottom you can see "virtual memory"-section and total paging file size for all drives. There is also "change"-button, which takes you to details. VM should be on SSD disk*. You can take control of these settings**.
*) if you have more than one SSD disk, put VM to the one which is not the windows system disk.
**) if you do - as a general rule - the maximum size of the paging file should be x1.5
the amount of RAM installed. For example for 16GB of RAM,
the maximum size of the swap should be 1024 x 16 x 1.5 = 24576MB. For minimum usually the amount what windows suggests as "recommended" should be good enough.

What comes to the driver question I would say that as general rule;
  • it is good to install those manufacturers drivers right after windows installation.
  • keep bios updated to latest version at least 6-12 months after the release of the motherboard
  • check for further updates to bios/drivers if you're experiencing issues with your system.
  • to desktop computers display driver should be downloaded from gpu manufacturers support site
That being said - for older motherboards windows usually tends to offer rather well working drivers. For laptops however I would recommend using only the manufactures drivers if available.

‘The total paging file size for all drivers: 4608MB”
should I change this?

sraura
Heroic Explorer
If windows controls the VM size, that default value is usually rather low and it is normal. If you want to let windows manage that in future too, just make sure you have enough room on your primary VM disk... Most likely the system drive C. Windows will expand that file when needed. If that primary drive runs out of space, windows will start using other drives too.

Anyways any progress with the original issue itself? Still experiencing same amount of frame drops/freezes ?

Daphic
Sightseer

sraura said:

If windows controls the VM size, that default value is usually rather low and it is normal. If you want to let windows manage that in future too, just make sure you have enough room on your primary VM disk... Most likely the system drive C. Windows will expand that file when needed. If that primary drive runs out of space, windows will start using other drives too.

Anyways any progress with the original issue itself? Still experiencing same amount of frame drops/freezes ?

Yeah sadly, still getting it in games.
biggest ones I get it in is pokerstars, oculus home and blade and sorcery (most commonly in blade)

However I have noticed a LOT more smoothness in both Rec Room and Gorn, games I had a bit of frequent stuttering in. Gave my PC a clean it to see if it was dust or anything and didn’t see any differenc.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Ok nice to hear that there has been some improvement.
Anyways my bag of tricks is pretty much empty now, but as last thing you could run the log gatherer and see if those files contain some obvious errors/warnings after your game session.

Daphic
Sightseer

sraura said:

Ok nice to hear that there has been some improvement.
Anyways my bag of tricks is pretty much empty now, but as last thing you could run the log gatherer and see if those files contain some obvious errors/warnings after your game session.

How do I do that? I’m also going to look into my motherboard temperature, by Judging just by touching the case of the pc that is the hottest part.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?