New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can i use my computers speakers for sound whilst using the Rift s?

Leigh291Leigh291 Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if I was able to use the Rift s with my computers external speakers?

Thanks for you time and help.
Tagged:

Comments

• LujhoLujho Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes, but it wouldn't be great, nothing would sound right. 
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    I beg to differ Lujho, I run a 5.1 logitech and a creative z card surround system fitted to my motion rig. With the rift on and some good volume the immersion factor is awesome. Neighbors, what neighbors?
  • Error-401Error-401 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Turn on audio mirroring https://support.oculus.com/155708918506052/ works well.

PC: Intel Core i9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 16GB | MSI RTX 2080 Ventus | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe | SilverStone SX700-LPT | GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi | SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    edited July 15
    How does that work? With surround speakers the rear speakers are minor speakers not intended for voice or important aspects of sound. If you turn around there are just 2 rear speakers versus when you're facing forward you have 3 speakers.  Maybe a 4.1 setup would make sense. 

But the entire sound design assumes you're in the center and facing forward. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    I beg to differ Lujho, I run a 5.1 logitech and a creative z card surround system fitted to my motion rig. With the rift on and some good volume the immersion factor is awesome. Neighbors, what neighbors?
    That's literally the one use case where it would make sense, since the speakers will always be in the correct orientation with respect to your position... more or less.

But for regular room-scale games, nothing would sound like it was coming from the right direction. 
  • Error-401Error-401 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited July 17
    Lujho said:
    That's literally the one use case where it would make sense, since the speakers will always be in the correct orientation with respect to your position... more or less.

But for regular room-scale games, nothing would sound like it was coming from the right direction. 
    Not sure it matters that much if you have it set to a volume that fills in the lack of depth, as in not loud. Also, it doesn't matter massively where the bass is located in this scenario, it would be pretty much non-directional.
    PC: Intel Core i9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 16GB | MSI RTX 2080 Ventus | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe | SilverStone SX700-LPT | GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi | SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB

• rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

Not sure it matters that much if you have it set to a volume that fills in the lack of depth, as in not loud. Also, it doesn't matter massively where the bass is located in this scenario, it would be pretty much non-directional.
    So let me get this right.  You're playing a room scale game but according to you, it doesn't matter if the directionaility of the sound is correct?  So if I am playing Paranormal Activity where I should be hearing footsteps coming up behind me but instead they are all around, that doesn't affect the immersion aspect?  Is that what you are saying?

If so, I totally have to disagree, sorry.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,379
    Project 2501
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

So let me get this right.  You're playing a room scale game but according to you, it doesn't matter if the directionaility of the sound is correct?  So if I am playing Paranormal Activity where I should be hearing footsteps coming up behind me but instead they are all around, that doesn't affect the immersion aspect?  Is that what you are saying?

So, with headphones you can hear footsteps behind you?  Kinda doubt that.  Probably better hearing if they are coming from the right or left though.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

So, with headphones you can hear footsteps behind you?  Kinda doubt that.  Probably better hearing if they are coming from the right or left though.

With my Rift S I use Arctis 7 Steel Series headphones with built in mic, Guess what they have and WINDOWS has?? DIGITAL 3D SURROUND SOUND. Can hear ALL directions individually.
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 232
    Nexus 6
    edited August 24
    I have had to use my 5.1 ever since my CV1 suffered from right headphone loss.

It works file for SOME games. Robo-recall is fab for instance, skyrim too.  Obviously the simulators and Elite Dangerous are so much better with surround speakers as opposed to surround headphones. 

However many games haven't been coded for surround e.g. lone echo, Arizona Sunrise which is proper disappointing 

tbh if the CV1's headphones still worked I think I would be using them still for the convenience. But I don't I share the unit with my gf so the albeit minor ball-ache of using 3d party headphones tips the balance to my 5.1

YMMV

Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

I believe this thread is about trying to achieve sound through external speakers.  What relevance does headphones have to do with the discussion?

The reason I found this thread is because I have a 5.1 system hooked up to my pc that the rift-s is on.  I also have a room-scale setup so having the sound output to my external audio equipment would be very beneficial in providing a completely immersive experience.

Not that it is relevant to this discussion about EXTERNAL AUDIO OUTPUT but, as others have mentioned, there is such a thing as emulated surround sound headphones (which I do have and yes, does work very well) however, I would love to be able to ditch the headphones altogether as it is not the most comfortable or convenient setup.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,151 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 26
    Since I got the Rift-S, I’ve gome back to using my PC surround speakers all the time.
    There are advantage and disadvantages. Firstly, directional sound is better with the 5.1 speakers, no question. Orientation is correct because just as with monitor gaming, the orientation changes to match the direction that you’re looking. Playing Fallout 4, I can immediately tell where a sound is coming from, whereas with the pseudo-surround of VR headphones, you need to turn your head to be sure if something is in front or behind so that it becomes left or right. This becomes second nature and you forget you’re doing it... until you go back to speakers and you immediately know the difference.
    Spatially also, things sound a little more natural provided you find move close to one of the speakers then things become a little off-centre. Not having something on your ears Lao seems to add to immersion.

The advantages of headphones is that the sound is more immediate, And you feel more isolated from the real world. Special accuracy is maintained no matter how close you stand to the corners of your play space.

For seated experiences I’ll probably stick to speakers, even if Oculus bring out headphones, but I’d use headset for room scale... maybe.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 27
    n/a
    Hiro Protagonist
    Since I got the Rift-S, I’ve gome back to using my PC surround speakers all the time.
    There are advantage and disadvantages. Firstly, directional sound is better with the 5.1 speakers, no question. Orientation is correct because just as with monitor gaming, the orientation changes to match the direction that you’re looking. Playing Fallout 4, I can immediately tell where a sound is coming from, whereas with the pseudo-surround of VR headphones, you need to turn your head to be sure if something is in front or behind so that it becomes left or right. This becomes second nature and you forget you’re doing it... until you go back to speakers and you immediately know the difference.
    Spatially also, things sound a little more natural provided you find move close to one of the speakers then things become a little off-centre. Not having something on your ears Lao seems to add to immersion.

The advantages of headphones is that the sound is more immediate, And you feel more isolated from the real world. Special accuracy is maintained no matter how close you stand to the corners of your play space.

For seated experiences I’ll probably stick to speakers, even if Oculus bring out headphones, but I’d use headset for room scale... maybe.
    Can you explain exactly how you use your "PC surround speakers all the time" when that is completely impossible with some games?  Not only some, but a great majority of games simply don't have the coding to output to anything but the headset audio, so how exactly do you force that to output to external speakers?

Also, to suggest that a headphone experience in a room-scale setup would be superior to a spatial surround sound experience just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.  I would like some more explanation on that as well.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,536 Volunteer Moderator
    Can you explain exactly how you use your "PC surround speakers all the time" when that is completely impossible with some games?  Not only some, but a great majority of games simply don't have the coding to output to anything but the headset audio, so how exactly do you force that to output to external speakers?
    So far I haven't encountered any game that doesn't work with the "Hear VR Audio from Computer" switch in the headset  device settings.
    (In the oculus desktop client click on devices, then the headset)

Hiro Protagonist
    You mean the mirroring option--not actual native output to an external device?
    @rednekcowboy77 which games is it impossible to use speakers? as kojack says I haven't found a game that it's impossible to do.

So explaining more about why I think the headset sound is better for room-scale...
    If youre moving around a room, there will be times when you get close to a wall. In that instance, all of your surround speakers will be either in-line with you, or to one side of you, they no longer surround you and the sound stage will not be correct.

This is true as soon as you move away from the central position of your room but you won't really notice until you get close to a speaker, then it becomes obvious. Just like listening to stereo music when you're close to one speaker, it doesn't matter how much you adjust the balance, you won't be able to be central within the sound stage.

It's OK to disagree but can I suggest that you come across as a little bit dismissive of other posters. I know this is an internet forum and that's what happens, but we try to keep things light. Plus this is an interesting topic and I'm only expressing my view... others may not agree and sound can be very subjective so I would expect different opinions.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 271
    Nexus 6
    I have tried the audio mirroring option to my TV with a Samsung sound bar.
    Yes it works, but it is behind the audio in my headset by ~1-1.5 seconds, so everything sounds like I am in a big cave!

Might be to do with my setup, but not found any options to support a reason for the delay.
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    I have tried the audio mirroring option to my TV with a Samsung sound bar.
    Yes it works, but it is behind the audio in my headset by ~1-1.5 seconds, so everything sounds like I am in a big cave!

Might be to do with my setup, but not found any options to support a reason for the delay.
    I've not used a soundbar and I'm no expert but Im sure some systems utilise a lot of processing before the sound gets to the speakers. There's usually a gaming mode on the TV to minimise picture response times but not sure movie surround systems have a similar gaming modefor audio. I know there are a number of instances where I have to adjust my movie picture delay timings to maintain sync with the audio on my 7.1 setup in my living room, when steaming from my NAS for example, my default setting for that is to advance the audio by 0.2s. That's ok for movies but wouldn't work for VR or gaming. PC surround systems obviously don't have this problem.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 29
    @rednekcowboy77 which games is it impossible to use speakers? as kojack says I haven't found a game that it's impossible to do.

So explaining more about why I think the headset sound is better for room-scale...
    If youre moving around a room, there will be times when you get close to a wall. In that instance, all of your surround speakers will be either in-line with you, or to one side of you, they no longer surround you and the sound stage will not be correct.

This is true as soon as you move away from the central position of your room but you won't really notice until you get close to a speaker, then it becomes obvious. Just like listening to stereo music when you're close to one speaker, it doesn't matter how much you adjust the balance, you won't be able to be central within the sound stage.

It's OK to disagree but can I suggest that you come across as a little bit dismissive of other posters. I know this is an internet forum and that's what happens, but we try to keep things light. Plus this is an interesting topic and I'm only expressing my view... others may not agree and sound can be very subjective so I would expect different opinions.
    Again, you're speaking about the mirroring option which is not a true output directly to an external device.  I'll do some testing and get a list to you but there is only a couple games I have tried that actually function with an output to an external audio device solely.

I do apologize if I seem a bit curt in my responses.  It is a product of having nothing but blanket statements of "it works fine for me" when troubleshooting issues.

I'll go through my library also @rednekcowboy77 I'm away from home this week so I'll check on Monday if I remember.

I'm a big racing, flight sim and FPS fan and all the software for those definitely have no issues with PC speakers. From Fallout 4, Skyrim, DCS, P4D, Dirt Rally and others, so far all ok but as I say, if I remember I'll dust off the lesser used games in my library next week.

Hiro Protagonist

I'll go through my library also @rednekcowboy77 I'm away from home this week so I'll check on Monday if I remember.

I'm a big racing, flight sim and FPS fan and all the software for those definitely have no issues with PC speakers. From Fallout 4, Skyrim, DCS, P4D, Dirt Rally and others, so far all ok but as I say, if I remember I'll dust off the lesser used games in my library next week.

I could be wrong but all of those games you mentioned are made for pc and adapted for VR, aren't they?  So of course they would have no issues outputting audio to other devices than the headset.

I'm the opposite.  Most of the games I play with my headset are VR created games and I think you've made an important distinction--though will need to test to confirm.  The couple games I've actually had no issues, if memory serves--I am getting older lol, that worked fine with external audio were games also designed for the mainstream and anything made strictly for VR would not work with external audio only.

Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 5

I could be wrong but all of those games you mentioned are made for pc and adapted for VR, aren't they?  So of course they would have no issues outputting audio to other devices than the headset.

I'm the opposite.  Most of the games I play with my headset are VR created games and I think you've made an important distinction--though will need to test to confirm.  The couple games I've actually had no issues, if memory serves--I am getting older lol, that worked fine with external audio were games also designed for the mainstream and anything made strictly for VR would not work with external audio only.

So, like I said, VR dedicated games desigend solely for VR do not output to external audio devices natively.  Apps and games designed for PC and adapted for vr have 0 issue outputting to an external audio device.

There are a very few exceptions to this but not many.
    edited September 6

OK I've done some proper testing and the results are interesting but don't appear to depend on whether a game is designed for VR or it's been adapted from non-VR.

So, positional audio only has to have a fixed soundstage for it to be accurately positioned for speakers. Because it's then the movement of your head that positions the sound correctly. Therefore, for games to work correctly, all they need is to have a switch that recognises that speakers are being used and fix the soundstage in place, as opposed to moving it with headset movement when headphones are used.

I picked a pretty random selection of games and set the Rift-S settings to 'Use Windows Audio' and Windows settings to use 'Speakers, the results are as follows.

Oculus Home:     OK. Audio is fixed in place and positioned correctly for speakers.
    1943 Berlin Blitz: OK. Harder to tell with this app as sound made to seem like it's coming from the in-game headphones but engine noise seems to be positioned correctly.
    Abe VR:               OK. Audio is very ambient in this game so not a big deal either way but seemed to be correct.
    ADR1FT:             OK. Audio is fixed in place and positioned correctly for speakers.
    allumette:             Incorrect, sound moves with headset movement so rotation was double what it should be when using speakers.
    Doctor Who:        OK. Audio is fixed in place and positioned correctly for speakers.
    Robo Recall:        OK. Audio is fixed in place and positioned correctly for speakers.
    Vader Immortal:   Incorrect, positional tracking is doubled as per allumette. The difference is notable when using quick rotate compared to rotating your body.
    Titans of Space:   OK
    Superhot VR:        OK
    The Climb:            OK

So out of those I've tested 2 didn't allow for correct sound position with speakers. I'm disappointed with Vader but not altogether surprised as it was developed for the Quest so they probably didn't consider speakers as an option.

Intel 5820K O[email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
    Nexus 6
    edited September 7
    Add to the good list (fixed sounds):
    Elite Dangerous 
    Assetto Corsa 
    Project Cars 2
    Dirt Rally
    Lone Echo

Add to the bad list (movable sounds) 
    Skyrim VR
    Fallout 4 VR
    edited September 7

You may want to check Skyrim and Fallout @andysonofbob , I'm 99% sure Fallout behaves correctly for me with speakers as that's all I've been playing of late. I'm away from home right now though so can't double check. Having said that, I use quick rotate a lot (which keeps the sound positioned correctly, provided you remain facing your front speakers) so it's possible I'm wrong. I'm sure I've spent a lot of time facing other directions though.

Nexus 6
    edited September 7
    They're both non-surround for me. :(

I test by standing still and shooting / lobbing a fireball behind me.
    Or just putting my ears next to the rear speakers which are both silent for me too.

I don't think the flat versions of the games support surround either? I had to mod in the wassname files to get surround in my headphones. 

I'd be super grateful if you could check it defo works for you? If it does that's cool news because it means I've done a numpty and should be able to fix!
    Hiro Protagonist
    @DaftnDirect you've never stated specifically if you are using the mirror option or trying to output directly to an external audio device.  I am talking about outputting directly to an external audio device.
    Nexus 6
    Soz for being a div, what do you mean by outputting directly to an external device? 

For me to use my logitek Z906 surround sound, I tell Oculus to output using the whatever Windows uses option, instead of outputting via headset.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Soz for being a div, what do you mean by outputting directly to an external device? 

For me to use my logitek Z906 surround sound, I tell Oculus to output using the whatever Windows uses option, instead of outputting via headset.
    How do you tell Oculus to output sound to anything?  The only option for that is the mirroring option which is not a direct output.