New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

DarrenteedDarrenteed Posts: 7
NerveGear
edited July 17 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 

Comments

• sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Define "crash". Also could you provide some system specs... laptop/desktop/brands...
  • DarrenteedDarrenteed Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited July 16
    The app closes and the headset reboots
    I am on a Desktop
    Windows 10 - 64 bit
    I am in Microsoft's Insider Program though
    I am running a GTX 1080
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    MAXIMUS IX HERO Mother Board
    RAM 16.0 GB

If I look at my rift s in the Oculus software it says my 3.0 drivers need to be updated but I have already done that through device manager and I can't find anywhere to download the drivers as I don't think they exist

Trinity
    edited July 16
    You should have both asmedia 3.1 gen2 (red) and intel 3.0 (blue) usb ports on the back panel of your computer. Try the intel ones (or vice versa).
    Also what kind of power supply you have and how old it is (roughly)?
    NerveGear
    It is a NZXT, its Maybe 3 years old. Probably less. 
    I have tried every USB port and have updated all of the drivers. I installed Intel's management software and updated everything as well
    Trinity
    It's not the 500W one ?
    NerveGear
    It says HX 850 on the back
    Trinity
    edited July 16
    Well model would say that it is Corsair, but good quality PSU anyways. Should not give you any issues.
    Have you opted to public test channel on oculus settings? That should install new firmware to rift. Also that will most likely fix the usb driver issue. Also those blue intel ports generally seem to have less issues than the asmedia ones, so probably good idea to check/switch to them b4 proceeding with anything else.
    NerveGear
    I have opted in, and I am definitely using the blue USB 3.0 ports. I am rolling back windows updates now to see if that fixes anything.
    Trinity
    if that doesn't help, gather some logs and see what they have to say (or send em to oculus support).
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    Are you overclocking? 

Did you check your event logs?

What about Oculus logs?

https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    NerveGear
    I got it!!!!!!
    i created a new user profile on my computer and it worked. So, I copied the oculus related folders in each of the three folders in appdata on the new profile over to the existing profile and I am good to go!!!
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    edited July 16
    I got it!!!!!!
    i created a new user profile on my computer and it worked. So, I copied the oculus related folders in each of the three folders in appdata on the new profile over to the existing profile and I am good to go!!!

Doesn't that suggest that there was some config information associated with your previous profile? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    NerveGear
    I would say yes and to me, it suggests that Oculus has something to fix. My fix also resolved the USB drivers being out of date issue people were experiencing. I did nothing to directly cause this to my knowledge and if I did, that's a problem. I want a functioning headset ya know?

It would disconnect as soon as the headset displays turned on. It felt like an issue with a Display port handshake, 
  • VortimousVortimous Posts: 54
    Brain Burst
    I got it!!!!!!

Can you tell me which folders you copied over?  I am having a similar problem and while I don't want another profile on my PC  I am willing to try this if it fixes my problem.  My rift s was working fine until a few days ago... now its just black screen and wont come on when I place the headset on.  This was after windows 10 update.  I installed it on an older computer and it worked fine, but placed it back on my gaming PC and it still is not working so I know its a software issue....  I will create a new profile (and use just a single name) but I want to make sure I grab the correct folders?  I have never had more than one account on my PC...  would it be better to just reinstall on the new account (do I even have to do that?) or will it be there since its already on the PC?
    Trinity
    Just make new "local user with admin rights". Personally would recommend doing that 1st and trying if rift works out of the box there. You may need to run the setup/repair there also. If you get it to work, see if Oculus app started to work also on your original account after that.

In any case you can always delete the secondary account you created...

As unrelated info:
    Most windows userprofile specific application data files are located at C:\Users\Username\AppData\
    Oculus game folder should be shared and it's location is defined in oculus app settings.
  • VortimousVortimous Posts: 54
    Brain Burst
    sraura said:
    Just make new "local user with admin rights". Personally would recommend doing that 1st and trying if rift works out of the box there. You may need to run the setup/repair there also. If you get it to work, see if Oculus app started to work also on your original account after that.

In any case you can always delete the secondary account you created...

As unrelated info:
    Most windows userprofile specific application data files are located at C:\Users\Username\AppData\
    Oculus game folder should be shared and it's location is defined in oculus app settings.

My god, that worked....  sort of.  I created another account like you said and just named it a single name.  It went threw the setup process with the Rift S, and then it came on.  I was able to set up guardian mode... I didn't play any games yet, but it came on.  I logged out and went back to my original account, still broken.  I am wondering what I need to do to get it working again but I will let tech support know in my ticket it is working under a new account, but not my main.  And FYI, my main account has a space in the name like Joe Joe.  I am wondering if its the space....  Thank you for your help... now I just need them to get my main account working because I don't want to have to log in to another account just to use it...
    Trinity
    Awesome. It is easier to troubleshoot rest of the issue now. I'm sure you figure it out.
  • profman5profman5 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I had a similar problem and contacted Oculus Support.  The solution from Support that worked (after the Software backup listed below) involved uninstalling the Oculus App (in Safe Mode, no network support, although I suspect Safe Mode may not be required) and then deleting any remaining Oculus-related folders. Support listed the below locations from which to delete any Oculus folders (just the Oculus folders, not any other files or folders in these locations):
    1. C:\Program Files
    2. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    3. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    4. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    5. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    6. C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    Boot back into normal Windows and do an install of the Oculus Software.  Then restore the Software folder that you backed up earlier.  Support gave a link to FAQ which describes how to backup your gaming Software before uninstalling the Oculus App.  This process is not trivial, but it is better than a nonfunctional headset.  [It also took me a few days, and a new cable, to get my monitor connection to work during the restart for Safe Mode.]

My system is, so far, back up and running.  I'm hoping it sticks.  I need to finish Moss.

This thread was a big help in getting me to understand where this problem probably originates from.  Thanks!

• hibooouhibooou Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    profman5 said:
    I had a similar problem and contacted Oculus Support.  The solution from Support that worked (after the Software backup listed below) involved uninstalling the Oculus App (in Safe Mode, no network support, although I suspect Safe Mode may not be required) and then deleting any remaining Oculus-related folders. Support listed the below locations from which to delete any Oculus folders (just the Oculus folders, not any other files or folders in these locations):
    1. C:\Program Files
    2. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    3. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    4. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    5. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    6. C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    Boot back into normal Windows and do an install of the Oculus Software.  Then restore the Software folder that you backed up earlier.  Support gave a link to FAQ which describes how to backup your gaming Software before uninstalling the Oculus App.  This process is not trivial, but it is better than a nonfunctional headset.  [It also took me a few days, and a new cable, to get my monitor connection to work during the restart for Safe Mode.]

My system is, so far, back up and running.  I'm hoping it sticks.  I need to finish Moss.

This thread was a big help in getting me to understand where this problem probably originates from.  Thanks!

Huge thank you to this! I had the exact issue OP had, and this method worked for me. I didn't need to boot in safe mode, however, I just ended any Oculus processes through task manager and then went through with the uninstall and deletion.
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    what a bunch of BS to even have to do this!!  obviously there are issues with the software to have to go to these extremes!!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 917
    3Jane
    what a bunch of BS to even have to do this!!  obviously there are issues with the software to have to go to these extremes!!
    Obviously no other IT platform has issues either on release of software...  Microsoft never released bad software, did they... /S
    Early adoption of technology often has issues, early 'consumer' software releases frequently are seriously bugged it is all part of the game :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Hiro Protagonist
    RattyUK said:
    Obviously no other IT platform has issues either on release of software...  Microsoft never released bad software, did they... /S
    Early adoption of technology often has issues, early 'consumer' software releases frequently are seriously bugged it is all part of the game :)
    LOL, when you pay full market price for a finished product you expect a finished product.  I have yet to see Oculus provide one.  Who is being an Early Adaptor?  Pleas tell me?  Did Oculus release the Rift-S as a Beta or Alpha trial that I missed somewhere???  Was the original Rift--up until the Rift-S ever labeled as a beta or alpha product (because it should have been!!  the software behind the hardware is complete shit!!).

I eventually solved the issue all on my own, thank you very much!  You need to uninstall the superhub usb 3.0 device from the original Rift install in device manager completely (and delete the driver files), uninstall the oculus software (and manually remove any appdata and programdata files), reboot and do a fresh install). Once you do that, everything will work fine.

All of this crap would be avoided if 2 things happen:

1.  Oculus/Facebook actually spend the money to clean up their shit coding (yes, everything from the very beginning until now is still running the hardware)
    2.  They drop this completely absurd requirement that oculus home be running in order for their headset to be functional.

I will 100% say that tracking on the Rift-S blows the OG Rift and Vive out of the water, it is amazing.  However, spending 2 days to solve an issue due to sub-par coding and an incompetent uninstaller for a premium CONSUMER READY product is completely INEXCUSABLE!!!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 917
    3Jane
    Well done for 'fixing' it yourself :)   I guess you have never bought any other 'Consumer' software in your life then...   So much launches with Day 0 patches...  You are so lucky!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    LOL, when you pay full market price for a finished product you expect a finished product.  I have yet to see Oculus provide one.  Who is being an Early Adaptor?  Pleas tell me?  Did Oculus release the Rift-S as a Beta or Alpha trial that I missed somewhere???  Was the original Rift--up until the Rift-S ever labeled as a beta or alpha product (because it should have been!!  the software behind the hardware is complete shit!!).

I eventually solved the issue all on my own, thank you very much!  You need to uninstall the superhub usb 3.0 device from the original Rift install in device manager completely (and delete the driver files), uninstall the oculus software (and manually remove any appdata and programdata files), reboot and do a fresh install). Once you do that, everything will work fine.

1.  Oculus/Facebook actually spend the money to clean up their shit coding (yes, everything from the very beginning until now is still running the hardware)
    2.  They drop this completely absurd requirement that oculus home be running in order for their headset to be functional.

I will 100% say that tracking on the Rift-S blows the OG Rift and Vive out of the water, it is amazing.  However, spending 2 days to solve an issue due to sub-par coding and an incompetent uninstaller for a premium CONSUMER READY product is completely INEXCUSABLE!!!
    Actually Ratty is 100% correct. If you expect something to be absolutely perfect when it comes out....well that’s just dumb.  This is also WHY YOU WAIT WHEN SOMETHING NEW COMES OUT. 

That’s called “COMMON SENSE “ but that is not known nowadays. 

Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 15
    Digikid1 said:
    RattyUK said:

Actually Ratty is 100% correct. If you expect something to be absolutely perfect when it comes out....well that’s just dumb.  This is also WHY YOU WAIT WHEN SOMETHING NEW COMES OUT. 

That’s called “COMMON SENSE “ but that is not known nowadays. 

Did you honestly just read what you wrote?

So by your logic, whatever I spend my hard-earned money on, I should expect it to be bug ridden and non-functional?

I don't know what kind of world you live in but when I purchase a product, I expect it to perform the duties it is designed to perform.  That expectation grows exponentially in relation to the price attached to the purchase.

If I buy a new television, i expect that out of the box, when i hit the power button it turns on and displays a picture.  When I buy a microwave, I expect that when I place something inside for a certain amount of time it gets warm.  When I buy a laptop, I expect that when i hit the power button, it will boot into the user setup.

So please explain to me why I should not expect the Rift-S to work when I plug it in and install the software?

And when I comment on poor coding and lazy development, it quite simply is just that.  There is a tonne of useless code that just keeps getting carried forward and there has been absolutely 0 work put into actually improving the efficiency of the software.  I expect problems when I join an alpha or beta test group for a new product or device.  When I pay full consumer price months after the official launch, I expect it to just work.
    Yes I did read it.  I suggest that you RE-READ it and actually THINK about it this time.  May I suggest reading the CAP LOCKED TEXT until that sinks in....

Yes it is unfortunate that it is this way these days but that is just how it is.  Adapt and next time don't be so quick to jump onto a new device.  WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 24
    Digikid1 said:
    Yes I did read it.  I suggest that you RE-READ it and actually THINK about it this time.  May I suggest reading the CAP LOCKED TEXT until that sinks in....

Yes it is unfortunate that it is this way these days but that is just how it is.  Adapt and next time don't be so quick to jump onto a new device.  WAIT WAIT WAIT.

I suggest you go re-read my post and THINK about it this time.

6 months after release, is not "jumping on" nor is a "new" product--especially in the tech world.  How long should I wait?  Until the next iteration is released?  The OG Rift is wrought full of bugs to this day--how long has that been out?  Some of the very same bugs have been brought forward and are prevelant in the Rift-S--6 months after the official consumer launch.

Should I wait 1 year?  2 years?  The OG Rift was released in 2016--3.5 years ago.  Is that long enough to wait?

Please enlighten us with your wisdom and teach us all this COMMON SENSE you speak of but do not possess...

FYI, Oculus support has apologized profusely to me over this fiasco and also thanked me profusely to providing them a resolution that they have been RMA'ing headsets needlessly for.  It is amazing what you can solve when you actually care to troubleshoot issues caused by inefficient software running the hardware.

edited August 22
    Kiddo I have more common sense in my baby toe than you ever hope to possibly have.  At the very least learn how to respond OUTSIDE the quote like a normal person would. Then maybe.....JUST MAYBE......I will grace you with my "superior wisdom". 

NAH. You’re not worth it. Re read previous posts and learn from them. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 24
    Digikid1 said:
    Kiddo I have more common sense in my baby toe than you ever hope to possibly have.  At the very least learn how to respond OUTSIDE the quote like a normal person would. Then maybe.....JUST MAYBE......I will grace you with my "superior wisdom". 

NAH. You’re not worth it. Re read previous posts and learn from them. 

Or maybe you could just answer a simple question?  What is the correct amount of time to wait for a commercially released product before we can expect a fully functional experience?

Now that I have corrected the post for you so it is outside of the quoted text, are you able to form a proper response to it?  I know because the whole thing was the same color some less intelligent people may have a difficult time separating their own post from the direct response enough to pen down an appropriate response.  I am sorry I gave you more credit than that, I will ensure going forward, that your posts and my responses are entirely distinguished so that you are not confused.

I honestly would like to know what common sense dictates to be an appropriate time to wait after an official product launch to where the consumer can expect to purchase and experience a fully functional system.  You are the one that started down this path, so please enlighten us all.
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited August 26
    If my new TV which had white static flashes every 5 minutes and was released would this be acceptable ? NO

If my second new monitor had a blank screen when enabled would this be acceptable ? No

To be honest the headset now is manageable it's not a hour of troubleshooting problems to use it.

A lot of users and myself purchased the Rift-S and its suppose to work correctly which it does not, Oculus solves one problem with update and two other problems are introduced.

I said this in many posts the Rift-S shouldn't passed QA in its current state and I'm very tired of submitting tickets for problems that a QA department should of noticed before the product was released.
This discussion has been closed.