cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Octops interesting mix of ideas.  Some others more problematic.

Transparency:  likely too resource intensive, at this time

Automated layer switching:  two sides to this one.  Avoiding the scene graph would be nice, just to check a box  However automated layer switching, without a combo that doesn't easily get triggered, could easily become a nightmare of finding yourself unintentionally working on the wrong layer.  has potentials.  [Edit] Then again, not automatically switching is annoying at times, and causes the same issues.  Still, experience with needing to use isolate with the flood fill option, and with deselections when using the manipulation features,leaves me a bit wary about accidental switching.

Grab and throw to discard: That would be horrible. Sensors lose track sometimes, and it can be a lot of lost work on a random misread.  Working on large sculpts can have significant load times.  It's not that hard to click new sculpt.

Cut tool: no real preference on this. Very rarely use it, negative stamps are almost always more useful, and faster.

Random color:  Some potentials in that general area.  Maybe a select random on the palette.  If you had that and your brush set to stomp, it would get that same effect.  I'd like to see stomp have some other options such as Opacity (global) for tonal control/color mixing. Not sure how processing intensive that would be, but I'd like to find out. Would really be curious to see what random/opacity could do as a combination.  Some interesting lines of thought in that area.

Parametrics:  While these would be useful, particularly for primitives, I also like having a stamp collections, so wouldn't want to see that feature depreciated.  Parametrics aren't quite as useful for multi-color stamps and more texture oriented ones.

Point to point line drawing mechanism: Definitely in favor of this.  Pathing a curve would be awesome as well.

Multi-copy:  In favor of something like this, ability to have copies at set intervals would be a nice addition.

daniellieske
Explorer
I noticed a thing working with snapping: for rotational snapping it would be great to be able to snap only on one of the three axis.

I was drawing with a cube and the line constraint and the rotational snapping helped me to keep my lines perfectly vertical. However, I couldn't rotate my cube stamp freely because the rotational snapping snaps all axis at the same time. A rotational snap only on the Z-axis would have been useful.

Thanks for your consideration.

-DanieL 

Metrons
Expert Protege
I've asked before.

Please, please, please, please, please, please let us scale our brush shapes. Ideally I would use my left hand and pull on an axis 'Y' to scale up my brush, or scale in 'ZX' along two axis. This should also have snapping as an option as well. Nice clean snapped shapes I'd we want.

If we could scale our brush shapes. EVERY brush then becomes MANY brushes. If I'm sculpting fingers with a tube type brush, I could scale in Y and have much longer fingers now. Currently I'm limited to uniform scale. With scaling the tip, we could have endless more options with just a single brush shape.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease add this. Please! Every brush could become so much more, and way more useful to boot.

Metrons
Expert Protege
Transform with falloff please. I sculpted some arms last night. The arms ended up being too long and there is nothing I can do to tweak these shapes cleanly. Sorry but. Zbrush transpose would be ideal. Something like that anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Metrons said:

I've asked before.

Please, please, please, please, please, please let us scale our brush shapes. Ideally I would use my left hand and pull on an axis 'Y' to scale up my brush, or scale in 'ZX' along two axis. This should also have snapping as an option as well. Nice clean snapped shapes I'd we want.

If we could scale our brush shapes. EVERY brush then becomes MANY brushes. If I'm sculpting fingers with a tube type brush, I could scale in Y and have much longer fingers now. Currently I'm limited to uniform scale. With scaling the tip, we could have endless more options with just a single brush shape.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease add this. Please! Every brush could become so much more, and way more useful to boot.

I suspect it's saving the form during stamp creation, so there would likely be a lag while calculating and storing what is essentially a temporary stamp, along with whatever move calculations would be needed to stretch it.  "Pull dots", "pull cords" or something would be pretty good for this, and minimizing accidental triggering.  It's interesting, and if can't be done yet, would be a nice feature when hardware gets a bit quicker.

Of course, the next question is, if the tech is developed, why stop with stamps.  Imagine being able to adjust an entire layer that way

Parhelion
Protege
I'd love to stream more of Medium on Twitch, but the audience in my channel are getting dizzy from the shakiness of the camera.

Is there a way to incorporate some kind of Axis Gimbal Stabilization, or some kind of Hypersmooth Option like what a GoPro camera uses?

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
@Parhelion, A way you can do make the camera for streaming more stable is this:
1. Go to the Video Capture menu
2. Click the World POV
3. Then, click the Transform Manipulator to change the location of the camera in World Mode. Squeeze the support hand grip button to reposition the viewfinder (instead of moving your sculpt). Remember to select the Transform Manipulator again to lock the camera into place.
4. Then, click Desktop Preview. The capture view will display in the Desktop Preview Window. This is
useful if you are giving a live demo/presentation and you want a camera that doesn’t move with
your head, or if you want to capture or stream from your desktop instead of VR. 

There's more info about this on the manual at www.oculus.com/medium/manual, on page 179. Hope this helps!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@jessicazeta Holy crap, I can't believe I never knew this! Yeah, I know, rtfm...  😛

tolitt
Honored Guest
Why are you still not added the layer opacity, opacity meshes, and images?

hughJ
Protege
@jessicazeta
It would be helpful to have an online HTML version of the manual so that direct links to relevant topics could be provided to people when they ask questions.  The next time you guys update your manual, your "page 179" mention in this thread will no longer be correct.

You should also update the stickied 'Oculus Medium - Manual / User Guide' thread so that only one link to the appropriate manual is posted, and make sure it's clearly identified.  Right now you've got the parent post with a direct link to a very out of date manual, and your updated post that's buried in the middle of that thread has a link saying "Check out the updated manual from 1.3" suggesting that it's also out of date.

Also I think there ought to be some form of wiki or forum subsection where tips and tricks can be appropriately compiled and categorized so that they function as a useful and accumulating knowledge-base, otherwise you just have ad hoc questions and answers that get lost to time as they slide off the front page.  This is something that should get some real thought put into it before Quest gets its PC Link functionality, because that help/support infrastructure would go a very long way to helping onboard and retain new users.