cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI Issue with OCULUS RIFT and Acer Nitro 5 laptop

Strappedsquash
Honored Guest
I have read several threads with no luck, contacted support, and am still having the same issue two laptops in.  I have an ACER Nitro 5 with a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX/OCULUS ready laptop.  I have disabled USB power on ports, updated windows drivers, NVidia drivers, installed and re-installed OCULUS software 6 times now.  Still when I go to run the setup everything is working EXCEPT the HDMI.  Tech support really needs a help desk line for folks to contact, I am not sure how one can sell and support high end technology with no phone support (a pet peeve).  I am returning the OCULUS to Best Buy, going to get another set and try before we buy Vive and hope that solves everything.  I have not seen any real articles to address this sort of issue.  Lots of good information, but right now my conclusion is the HDMI cable is the bad part right from the factory.  It appears to be DOA... If I discover something else I will post, but I don't think setting up VR should be this complicated.....
18 REPLIES 18

MegaOmnimon02
Honored Guest
If you have a Nitro 5 model (there are like 30 worldwide) with a Intel Display driver then you need to disable it.

go to device manager, display adaptors, and you should see the two adaptors, Intel and Nvidia (in my case I have a GTX 1050 TI).  right click to disable the intel driver.

reboot the computer.

Plug the HDMI into the HDMI port.

The only other issue I had was the cable from the headset had an offset pin in the HDMI port and I straightened it, works fine now...until Oculus renders it not compatible on their next update. LOL.  Sad but true

Also when I talked to Oculus support, they said only two of the Nitro 5's are compatible here:

AN515-53-52FA and
AN515-53-55G9

These appear to be american and Im in Cnaada so cant get those two.  plus these are only 4GB and *Gb models and I need 16GB for other programs I use. I have the  AN515-539Y676 which is the same as above but 16GB ram and now its working fine.

MegaOmnimon02
Honored Guest
a

Anujithgh
Honored Guest
Guys just wanted to know if oculus rift supports acer nitro 5 with gtx 1050 graphics. 

Wizkid2552
Honored Guest
Does anyone know if this has been solved? I just bought a Nitro AN515-53 from Best Buy and it says Oculus Ready on a sticker, and the Acer phone support says the original Rift is supported, but I am having the issue of a red x saying HDMI not connected.  I have the Nvidia 1050ti set as default graphics for everything too, and the 3 usb 3.0 have green check marks.  I will return the laptop and never deal with Acer again if they are lying about this.  My HDMI port works for a second monitor, so it is not a dead port.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Laptops are a serious pain to get working mate, the 1050ti is min spec and any onboard graphics cause no end of problems.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wizkid2552
Honored Guest
Hello and thanks for the really fast reply.  This is obviously a known issue to Acer, and they must have instructed their "elite tech support" at the number included with the laptop 866-984-1849 to basically talk you in circles without admitting that this laptop is not VR ready. I first talked to Kevin who stonewalled me and said he could not give support advice for a third party device (Rift) even though the sticker says Oculus Ready, which certainly therefore makes such inquiries to them relevant.  I called back after about an hour of checking posts online, one from Best Buy's website where an Acer employee posted that the Nitro AN515-53 that I bought is NOT VR compatible.  And another post said that the 52 and 54 are the only 2 NItros supporting VR.  So I got the next guy Marco who explained that Oculus Ready is not the same as Oculus Compatible and i should have run the Oculus compatibility tool to determine if Rift would work before buying the Nitro.  I could tell that this guy was not any more than a call center clocker with an sop manual in front of him, so i kindly advised him that it was not possible to run the Oculus tool without first having purchased the laptop, and that the sticker Oculus Ready means Ready in my understanding of English, and it should work, and therefore why would anyone think they had to run that tool? I did not get a coherent response at that point and i assured him that i will not be buying or using Acer anymore despite over ten years with the brand, and hung up.  By the way, in my experience with more expensive laptops meant for gaming like Alienware is that they work fine and do not have the issues between integrated and discrete graphics once you set discrete as default.  But this machine at $600 on sale was a lot cheaper than spending $1500 or more for the latest and greatest so i took them at their word and bought it.  I have an Alienware R7 with only i5-8400 and a 1050ti and it runs Rift, and since Rift will work even with the older 9 series cards, there is obviously a built in flaw on this Nitro.  In hindsight that is why it was steeply discounted.  At least I can get my money back and move on.  So lesson learned is if the deal seems too good to be true, it is. Thanks again and hope my experience helps anyone with similar issues.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Fantastic post mate, much appreciated that you took the time to share with us. Myself, I'd find out via any means possible if i wanted VR on a laptop that it would work out of the box. Acer and many others lead people astray and I think its very underhanded. I'm (read my wife) am lucky to have an alienware laptop with a 1060 in it and it is a beast, runs everything fine. MSI are a fairly good brand but again, I'd check check and check again, that the model I purchased runs VR.

Hope you get sorted in the near future 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

landrie_grantee
Honored Guest
I have a Rift which keeps saying that it has no HDMI.  I assure you that it does have HDMI and I have checked and rechecked everything.  My 'puter is a Dell 5676 which should be able to blow the Rift off the map.  Any ideas?

sraura
Heroic Explorer

I have a Rift which keeps saying that it has no HDMI.  I assure you that it does have HDMI and I have checked and rechecked everything.  My 'puter is a Dell 5676 which should be able to blow the Rift off the map.  Any ideas?

Tried to look for your computer specs from dell site, but there seems to be rather many variants available... Does yours have dedicated video card with HDMI output or are you trying to connect to the motherboards HDMI connector?