cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S USB driver update recommended warning

philrlee
Explorer
My Rift S has been working well all week. Today it has started showing an orange indicator in the Devices section. In there it displays the warning:

USB driver update recommended

When I go into the headset it has a warning triangle next to USB. When I hover over the ? it shows the following tooltip:

Your headset is plugged in correctly. If you encounter tracking issues, updating your driver (Intel) may improve performance.

I have made now changes to the PC so don't understand why this message is suddenly being displayed. All my USB drivers are up to date so I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I am currently opted into the PTC and have 1.38.0.256587 installed.
86 REPLIES 86

Philairone
Honored Guest
I have Rift S since day 1, never had problems, but after Win 10  update 1903... Orange warning for me too (update USB)

Azref
Explorer
Also geting the anoying update USB drivers issue. All my drivers are updated so I dont know what more to do. I'm enrolled in the beta channel and the update USB warning did disappear for a few days, then came back yesterday.

Darklorduk
Explorer

philrlee said:

My Rift S has been working well all week. Today it has started showing an orange indicator in the Devices section. In there it displays the warning:

USB driver update recommended

When I go into the headset it has a warning triangle next to USB. When I hover over the ? it shows the following tooltip:

Your headset is plugged in correctly. If you encounter tracking issues, updating your driver (Intel) may improve performance.

I have made now changes to the PC so don't understand why this message is suddenly being displayed. All my USB drivers are up to date so I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I am currently opted into the PTC and have 1.38.0.256587 installed.

like wise worked fine and now it asking me to update usb3 drivers but theres no new driver so i think like everyone else it odculus software is fubar .i didnt have this trouble with the orignal rift why o why did i upgrade 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Initial-D said:

Vortimous said:

Initial-D said:

Just to be clear, doesn't sound like anyone is actually having issues because of the indicator , it's like a false positive. Sounds like people are having unrelated issues with their pc hardware and/or windows

I am having issues...  ever since that update, my headset wont even turn on anymore.  I was seeing the notification, but since then, I place the headset on my head and nothing lights up or comes on.  Before that, it has been working fine (since day 1 purchase)….  more than frustrated....  even did a full reinstall today as recommended by the tech support...  still nothing...

Tried plugging into another pc just in case? 

Yes, and it worked fine...   I found a workaround but not happy about it.  I had to create a new NON Microsoft user account for windows (a dummy user account with admin permissions) and if I log off my main account and log into the dummy account (with a simple name like Tony) it works....  if I switch back to my normal account, it doesn't work.  I hate having to switch back and forth between window accounts just to play VR....  I hope they fix this soon... it is getting annoying.  They say it has something to do with the new windows update and your windows user account having special characters in the name like spaces or @ or periods, etc....  Wish we could get an update on whether this will be fixed soon or not.  The sad thing is, it has worked fine on my original windows log in since day 1, but then after the last windows update last week... black screen (along with the still orange warning about the USB being outdated....)

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege
I have a fix for the USB maybe it might fix other issues, I will post the fix when I get home from work.

Flipolipo
Honored Guest
same issue mine oculus rift s was working perfectly fine but today the orange triangle pop up with usb 3.0 update, when I turned on oculus the tracking was horrible I checked drivers and everything was up to date I cant play now pls help

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege

hugepump
Honored Guest

That worked for me, or it could also just be switching usb

geoff_killick
Protege
Just started happening for me after updating windows 10 to 1903, before the update never had the problem. Rift S still works (with static flashes)  Must be a Windows problem?