cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My Index has shipped, should arrive Tuesday next week. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
I know the cosmos has an extra camera but still I don’t want to downgrade my tracking. I guess we will see. 

oldgamergazza
Expert Protege
I have reserved an Index and looking forward to getting it, I will be using it for sim racing racing only, I am really looking forward to the audio which is getting lots of positive remarks, I currently use an Odyssey plus that I am really pleased with after upgrading from a rift CV1, but I have been disappointed with the audio on both, they are both ok but not remarkable, I use Simvibe with 4 transducers and 3 amplifiers, a couple of these have very noisy fans when they are working hard, I am starting to think that I am going to be hearing the fans over the game audio, is anyone else here using the Index having this issue?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I got my email to say that my valve index is ready, but I'm not tempted to purchase it due to what I've been reading about it. I want something substantially better if I'm paying £920 and the glare problem totally put me off it.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Well I'm tempted to nick your spot...maybe lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Got it, no staring to get no glaring ?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well if my CV1 becomes

RedRizla said:

I got my email to say that my valve index is ready, but I'm not tempted to purchase it due to what I've been reading about it. I want something substantially better if I'm paying £920 and the glare problem totally put me off it.

The glare is there but rare and you only care when you stare.

It would be hard not to stare when your eyes are confined to a sweet spot would it not? Here's my attempt at a rhyme though. For £920 the glare should not be there even when you stare. Isn't it a bit like saying don't think of a pink Elephant, I bet you just imagined one 🙂

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
I tried the Index for the first time today and I'm globally disappointed. I've got the left stick issue, it doesn't click well when pushing forward and it can loose the registered action so in arizona sunshine for example I may stop running if I push the stick right forward. Really annoying. There are others issues. The comfort of the knuckles are not as good as touch controllers. It doesn't feel natural at all and the sticks are difficult to reach.
Let's talk about the headset itself now. The fov is comparable to Odyssey+, but with a slightly better horizontal fov. Nothing spectacular but really nice. It adds to immersion for sure. BUT... there is a big problem with the LCD panels on my device. I can see vertical lines of pixels on certain textures/colors when moving my head. Really, really annoying ! In Beat Saber it's very distracting. I tried to switch frequencies, changing resolution, steamVR beta but nothing helped.
Too much for 1080€. Refund. I prefer my Rift S !
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

Wildt
Consultant
Just got the mail, but I'm pretty darn hesitant.
@RuneSR2 - I'm sure you'll post a small review within the next 7 days to help me decide 😉
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, but my Birthday is next week and I can't think of a better present to give to myself :blush: 

Have you got your email yet? I just checked and I still can't buy it yet!

I'm quite fed up with the tracking now on my Rift S that at this point I can't wait to move to Index just for the perfect tracking.

I know I keep going back and forth with the Rift S but that's because they keep releasing updates which make the tracking worse!  :smile:

Is there only one way to buy Index? Straight from Steam?

EDIT: If the Index turns out great when it arrives I'm planning on giving my Rift S to my best friend who can't afford VR but wants to get into it. I think him and his son will appreciate it more then a refund anyways.

This is what I find really annoying. Everyone praised the139 patch after waiting weeks for good tracking on the Rift S. Then they go and break the tracking again with 139b patch and you can't roll back the patch. Why oh Why don't they test their patches instead of waiting for the consumer to pick up on all these faults?

I doubt I'll be buying another VR headset in 2019, if this is all VR has to offer in 2019. These headsets should be ready to use right out of the door and not waiting on fixes so we can use them properly at a later date. Looking at the previous page it seems Valve are still sending their headsets out with faulty controllers. I noted a guy just got his and he has faulty controllers too. What's the point in buying something with known faulty controllers is what I'll say.