The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 21 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,965 Valuable Player
    Just got the mail, but I'm pretty darn hesitant.
    @RuneSR2 - I'm sure you'll post a small review within the next 7 days to help me decide ;)
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,590 Valuable Player
    edited July 20
    RuneSR2 said:
    Yeah, but my Birthday is next week and I can't think of a better present to give to myself :blush: 

Have you got your email yet? I just checked and I still can't buy it yet!

I'm quite fed up with the tracking now on my Rift S that at this point I can't wait to move to Index just for the perfect tracking.

I know I keep going back and forth with the Rift S but that's because they keep releasing updates which make the tracking worse!  :smile:

Is there only one way to buy Index? Straight from Steam?

EDIT: If the Index turns out great when it arrives I'm planning on giving my Rift S to my best friend who can't afford VR but wants to get into it. I think him and his son will appreciate it more then a refund anyways.

This is what I find really annoying. Everyone praised the139 patch after waiting weeks for good tracking on the Rift S. Then they go and break the tracking again with 139b patch and you can't roll back the patch. Why oh Why don't they test their patches instead of waiting for the consumer to pick up on all these faults?

I doubt I'll be buying another VR headset in 2019, if this is all VR has to offer in 2019. These headsets should be ready to use right out of the door and not waiting on fixes so we can use them properly at a later date. Looking at the previous page it seems Valve are still sending their headsets out with faulty controllers. I noted a guy just got his and he has faulty controllers too. What's the point in buying something with known faulty controllers is what I'll say.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,645
    Project 2501
    edited July 20
    RuneSR2 said:
    My Index has shipped, should arrive Tuesday next week. 

Mine is also scheduled to arrive Tuesday next week.

I hope they fixed the controllers. It seems like all they need to do is use a longer metal rod in the thumbsticks. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited July 20
    MowTin said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    My Index has shipped, should arrive Tuesday next week. 

Mine is also scheduled to arrive Tuesday next week.

I hope they fixed the controllers. It seems like all they need to do is use a longer metal rod in the thumbsticks. 

Well obviously they didn't if you go back a page and have a read. I also just said in the post above yours that a guy has just received his Valve index with the same faulty controllers.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,118 Valuable Player
    Valve Index Prescription Lens Adapter is now available - looks nice, but I think I'll try with my own VR glasses first:

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/valve-index/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    More from Mr. Wood, Rift-S vs. Index vs. Reverb, click to enlarge: 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

@RuneSR2 - Can you give us a review of the Valve index a.s.a.p. I have six days to change my mind :)

I really want to see what the HTC Cosmos has to offer though and are Samsung about to announce another VR headset soon?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,380 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 21
    The reverb is really good, if only they can sort out their issues then the headset will be a winner. Want mine back asap !!!

Ps I'd say the reverb is clearer and better than the comparison shot above by far !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited July 21
    Techy111 said:
    The reverb is really good, if only they can sort out their issues then the headset will be a winner. Want mine back asap !!!

Ps I'd say the reverb is clearer and better than the comparison shot above by far !!!

Good for sims but for a headset to use for everything else? I want one because I like sims otherwise I would probably give it miss.
    Mine will be used "solely" for simming. If like me that's your passion then the reverb is your headset, second to none.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Can you give us a review of the Valve index a.s.a.p. I have six days to change my mind :)

I really want to see what the HTC Cosmos has to offer though and are Samsung about to announce another VR headset soon?

Not sure I can be that quick - it should arrive exactly on my Birthday, so I might not have a lot of time to test it that day as my wife may get the strange idea that I should spend some time with the family, lol. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday I'll have more time... Not sure I can provide you with much that hasn't already been said, we'll see... 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Not sure I can be that quick - it should arrive exactly on my Birthday, so I might not have a lot of time to test it that day as my wife may get the strange idea that I should spend some time with the family, lol. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday I'll have more time... Not sure I can provide you with much that hasn't already been said, we'll see... 

Well that's grounds for divorce right there...just make sure you get custody of the VR headsets and PC and NOT the kids :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Not saying my kids are bad but if my wife and I ever separate we have promised to fight over the kids. The loser keeps them  o:) now back on topic dammit ;)

edited July 21
    snowdog said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Well that's grounds for divorce right there...just make sure you get custody of the VR headsets and PC and NOT the kids :D
    I guess I couldn't have hoped for a better day to receive the Index - if she thinks it's a complete waste of money, she can't be angry with me on my birthday, right?  :D But if the mailman is too slow and I get the Index Wednesday - which actually is her birthday - that may not be good  :# ;)

BTW, just gotten off the cruise ship, and late Wednesday evening I had to make the hard decision about getting the Index or not - because I'd be far away from land the next two days (=horribly expensive Internet connection if any - and my Index deadline was Friday). I only had my phone, so a few hours before losing connection I logged into to Steam (full website) by getting the authentication code from the Steam android app - and used the link in the Steam Index mail to go to the correct web page - and succeeded logging into PayPal too - and it all just worked. I don't think the wife noticed anything  o:)

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    My availability was August 28th got email yesterday. Like everyone I am totally not sure.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Well I'm on the boat, took out a reservation but will wait for you lot ;)

Well I'm waiting until Sept to see what Oculus has to say and I also want to see what the HTC Cosmos has to offer. I don't mind waiting a few months to make the right choice. The Valve index has problems and until I hear they no-longer exist I won't be getting it. I can't be arsed to pack it all up if the controllers are faulty and £920 is a bit to much for me.
    Hmmmm.... ;)

Wildt said:
    Just got the mail, but I'm pretty darn hesitant.
    @RuneSR2 - I'm sure you'll post a small review within the next 7 days to help me decide ;)
    I'll do my best - for now, I bought the Index because I think my life will be more fun with the Index than without it - and to support PCVR (especially because Valve like Oculus has a store directly supporting their HMD, I don't consider HTC in the same league). I hope that I can connect both Index and CV1 to the same pc, my thought was never to give up on the CV1 (Oculus)  but to get a separate HMD for Steam games (and with the recent Vertigo 2 demo and Wolfenstein in a few days, maybe a great time for Index has just begun).  

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player
    edited July 21
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hmmmm.... ;)

I'm not even going to bother pressing play. This bloke says that Half Life 3/VR is going to be released every five minutes. And this isn't something he's just started talking about this week, he's been saying it for fucking YEARS. The bloke is a Muppet of the highest order.

If I had his postal address I would have sent him a turd moulded into the Half Life logo in a box years ago.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hmmmm.... ;)

I'm not even going to bother pressing play. This bloke says that Half Life 3/VR is going to be released every five minutes. And this isn't something he's just started talking about this week, he's been saying it for fucking YEARS. The bloke is a Muppet of the highest order.

If I had his postal address I would have sent him a turd moulded into the Half Life logo in a box years ago.

Personally I do think the dude is on to something interesting - I wouldn't be surprised to see Half-Life VR from Valve, maybe some sort of parallel story to the original Half-Life. And new hidden code names in the DOTA 2 do look interesting. So maybe Valve is working on a game called Half-Life VR and another game called Citadel - that wouldn't surprise me (what else would Valve do to really support VR?) - no, the real question is when or if Valve will ever launch these games! 

Recently I played The Lab (forcing ss 2.0 on CV1) - and especially the scene with the giant (Aperture) robot/AI from Portal 2 really impressed me. The level of polys, textures and performance was simply off the charts - and if anyone can make a VR game with this level of quality it's got to be Valve - and yes it's got to take a lot of time (years). For me that scene in The Lab was an important part of deciding to get the Index and support Valve (if the Index is good enough for me not to return it that is).

That video is now 3 years old, I'm still finding it hard to think of other VR games and apps that impressed me more - besides Lone Echo and First Contact. 

I bit the bullet... am I ready for VR?

I'm not going to update my old drivers just yet. If it works don't fix it. Some dudes needed to get the latest Nvidia drivers for Index to work, but some didn't and got problems when installing the latest drivers. I'll start with the system config I have right now and only update as needed - SteamVR is fully updated though. 

During the night I got Seeking Dawn, Space Pirate Trainer, Arizona Sunshine, Vertigo 2 Demo, Psychonauts and more installed (already got Aperture Hand Lab) - and already have Skyrim, Doom VFR and many other SteamVR games. I guess I'm ready  o:)
    BTW, it's eating a lot of HD space having games like Seeking Dawn installed twice, not sure I'll buy more games I already have installed for the CV1 before I see how Revive works. The devs behind Arizona Sunshine just released a new patch for the Index for the Oculus Store version - I'm thinking they know that a lot of Index/Knuckles users use Revive ;)

Was getting slightly worried, no updates for two days, but it seems everything is alright ;) 

My USB situation:

Post image
    Post image

In short - I still have the USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (VR Ready) port which I intend to use for the Index, the 3 other USB 3 ports are used for CV1 and sensors. Index needs an extra power supply, but I wonder if the Type-C wouldn't be enough (I think Type-C can provide up to 100 watts if needed), but I'll probably play it safe for a start and connect the Index to a second power source. 

If this works - connecting Index and CV1 to the same rig, I'll be seriously short of USB 3 ports, lol (still have 2 ports in front of the case, but maybe they are shared with other ports). 

Buy a power hub ?

Techy111 said:
    Buy a power hub ?
    I don't think it'll be a problem - Index HMD has 3 connectors: Power, DisplayPort and USB. My thought was that I may not need the power connection when using USB 3.1 Type-C (supplies up to 20V, 5A) through an adapter (got one from my Samsung S10+, it should work). When using an RTX card it's possible to use VirtualLink supplying all the power to the Index that's why I think a normal Type-C should be able to provide enough power. But it may put a bigger burden on my PSU, maybe it's better to get some external power and play it safe for a start. 

BTW, these are the normal connection options, the VirtualLink cable isn't included and sold out at the moment:

edited July 22
    With all the faulty headsets launched recently I'm not even exited about my next VR headset. The excitement has being replaced with which headset should I buy and will I have to arse around sending it back due to faults.