STOP forcing me into the "HOME" PLEASE..!!! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

STOP forcing me into the "HOME" PLEASE..!!!

Jay737Jay737 Posts: 27
Brain Burst
edited July 19 in General
I was with Rift from the very beginning and the Zuckerberg's entry has raised my eyebrows for awhile BUT.. WHAT THE HELL are you doing now??
Not everybody is interested in social media..  again "NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN SOCIAL MEDIA"  DO you COPY?????
Guys (facebook), many of us bought the rift for a particular reason "to continue enjoying things we love", however somehow Oculus home pushes the boundaries closer and closer..
Why do I get oculus "home screen" instead of the launched app?
Why can't I switch to the app SIMPLY through the home menu?
I don't care about all the sprinkles you hang onto the VR driver but why would you block me from non FB content...???
Yeah, I got your answer right here "we're not doing this deliberately" 
Well, you know what? FO
STOP STAFFING YOUR BUSINESS INTO MY FACE !!!!!
I was one of the people who paid £800 for the first CV headset so I would expect it to be "adware free".
I do not care about "home" neither abut all the silly "collection of junk". I just need the driver to proceed quietly in the background.
Is that too much to ask???

Thank you
Jay

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,081 Valuable Player
    edited July 20
    You can launch the game from the desktop app and then put your headset on?
  • Jay737Jay737 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    So much emotion there..

If you don't want a business in your face, then don't buy electronic products from a business. Your problems are self-imposed, and you can solve this yourself by avoiding the products that are causing you grief. The best way to avoid Facebook... is to avoid Facebook.

Pro tip: Oculus is VR by Facebook.

Oculus was bought by FB in the later stage my friend. It actually started as a Kickstarter project which I was supporting through SDK one and two. Nobel idea, screwed up by greed and money.
    I was emotional there simply because I was very pissed of...
    I launch the game through Steam, and the stupid Home app comes up and I'm not able to switch back to my game which is clearly running on the monitor. 
    As I said, I don't care about fancy sofa and trophies in a virtual lounge, why would anybody???
    What's the logic behind this??
    I want to put the rift on and start playing a game that I want. Is that so difficult?? 

Jay
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    If you want peaceful world, google "Oculus homeless". Or if you prefer less googly option, use this.
    Also there is this great browser extension called noscript. It is lovely against any kind Facebookish activity. And if that is not enough - with greacemonkey you add pile of turd to center of your least favorite webpage. Unfortunately that extension is only available for firefox so no candy for chrome.

Anyways only the 1st line of this post was on topic so hopefully it eases you pain :smile:
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 902
    3Jane
    I launch from the desktop app in most cases, when launching Steam apps don't pick up the headset until the steam app has appeared on the monitor screen.  There are random occasions when Steam launch fails so I just close it out and start over.

In general, I only see 'Home' when I actually want to, odd...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 536
    Neo
    I actually quite like home because i can slip on my CV1 and do everything within it so i don't have to remove it again until i am done with VR, as i hate having to take the HMD off just to head back to the PC monitor to do stuff, and the very reason why i just recently refunded Assetto Corsa which has the dumbest implimentation of VR i have ever come across, and which seems to be a national secret because no one seems to mention this and i only found out after i had bought it, (steam refunds save the day though), but you have to remove the HMD and use a normal PC screen to do everything but the actual race. :/
    But when i put on the HMD i expect to be able to do everything from within it, and as of now the present setup seems to work quite well.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,411 Valuable Player
    edited July 20
    Jay737 said:
    Oculus was bought by FB in the later stage my friend. It actually started as a Kickstarter project

The consumer products, which is what you are complaining about, came at the later stage. Facebook already owned Oculus by the time the consumer product was available. And your complaint is about the consumer product.

As I said, I don't care about fancy sofa and trophies in a virtual lounge, why would anybody???

Why would anybody care about VR? Why would anybody care about video games? If you are going to introduce "caring" then none of this is worth caring about, in the grand scheme of things.

And while on the topic of caring... since this product belongs to Facebook and Oculus, why should they care about your personal preferences?

Perhaps you should consider a different approach.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player

WAAAGH!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,028 Valuable Player
    Suck it up Buttercup.

You bought into this arch....you will deal with what THEY give you AND LIKE IT!!! :D

• jabjab Posts: 199
    Art3mis
    .... people like you are exactly why companies get away with making 'cloud' products that dosent have to be, where you effectively rent instead of owning your product/game etc.
  • sford52sford52 Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    sraura said:
    If you want peaceful world, google "Oculus homeless". Or if you prefer less googly option, use this.
    I have the Rift cv1 and current Oculus, Windows 10, and Drivers.  This method continues to work.
    It is easy and you can have both the original and homeless files in the binaries directory (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64\) and so can switch between the two. This really seems the ideal solution. 
    Thanks  NeoZeroo for providing this and @sraura for pointing it out (yet again I imagine)
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,028 Valuable Player
    jab said:
    .... people like you are exactly why companies get away with making 'cloud' products that dosent have to be, where you effectively rent instead of owning your product/game etc.
    To whom are you referring to?
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player
    jab said:
    Do you have STEAM on your computer?
    If so.

WAAAGH!
  • jabjab Posts: 199
    Art3mis
    edited July 20
    Of course I have steam. But only because the reality today is that since people are just going with the flow, there are no realistic alternatives. At least not legal ones... But I don't go around and try to ridicule people for calling out systems like that for what they are.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,411 Valuable Player
    edited July 20
    jab said:
    Of course I have steam. But only because the reality today is that since people are just going with the flow, there are no realistic alternatives. At least not legal ones... But I don't go around and try to ridicule people for calling out systems like that for what they are.

Instead you go around calling out people who call out people for calling out systems that you don't like? Sounds so reasonable. Especially considering that your callout attempts are incredibly lackluster.  Your reference to "cloud apps" missed the mark quite impressively.

It went something like this,
    "I hate that Nike puts their Logo on all their shoes!"
    - Angry Consumer

"Then don't buy their shoes."
    - Zenbane

"People like you are the reason public transportation exists!"
    - jab

Consumers do have a choice, including legal ones. Just because you decide to limit your choices doesn't mean you are justified in whining about a system which was built by people who made a proper choice.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    There should be an official option available not to load home. Maybe just load the DASH. While Oculus homless works, why do we need to use those methods to disable it. A simple checkbox in the settings would be appropriate for those who prefer not to utilize it.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,458 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    Jay737 said:
    Oculus was bought by FB in the later stage my friend. It actually started as a Kickstarter project

The consumer products, which is what you are complaining about, came at the later stage. Facebook already owned Oculus by the time the consumer product was available. And your complaint is about the consumer product.
    In fact the Facebook buyout was revealed before the DK2 shipped, about 6 days after the DK2 preorders opened. Oculus has existed for 7 years, only 2 of those were before Facebook.

• Remmer_GRemmer_G Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Oculus Tray Tool has a nice implementation of a version of Homeless, makes it really easy to switch, and automagically "reapplies" Homeless after an Oculus update.
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Remmer_G said:
    Oculus Tray Tool has a nice implementation of a version of Homeless, makes it really easy to switch, and automagically "reapplies" Homeless after an Oculus update.

Thank you, never actually looked for that option
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,224
    Wintermute
    edited July 23
    Mate I've no idea what your on about tbh. If your still using CV1 then your using the best HMD ever made! CV1 owners are the lucky ones! haha

And you can launch apps from the desktop and then stick your HMD on so not sure what the issue is here?

Some people are some ungrateful!  You should feel sorry for us brits, tomorrow we get Boris Johnson as prime minister of the UK!!! ;)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • Jay737Jay737 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    sraura said:
    If you want peaceful world, google "Oculus homeless". 
    This is exactly the kind of advice I wanted to get. You are a star Mr. sraura  ;)
    Thank you very much!
    Jay
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,601 Valuable Player
    Oculus Tray Tool has an option to enable Oculus Homeless, have never tried it so not sure how it works.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|