cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Play Store says Oculus App compatible with my Raspberry Pi 3...?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was just in the playstore, trying to see what version of Android was needed for the app, as I'm thinking of getting a tablet to stream to. But as I'm reading the page, I clicked the 'this app is compatible with some of your devices', and it lists 2 of my phones...a Galaxy GS3 that's too old, and a Galaxy J3 that I had to buy just to get my Oculus Go working a few months ago. But now it's also saying it's compatible with my Raspberry Pi...seriously? In a linux install, or an Android install? You can run Android on a Pi, but it's limited. But if I can run it on linux, then I could potentially stream to the Pi natively.

ow3t0h59rzgd.png
12 REPLIES 12

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Interesting mate, give it a go and let us know...would like to hear.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually I think it's because I played with https://emteria.com/ ... a paid version of Android for the Pi. I remember setting up the play store while I was testing the free trial version. It would only do 2.4GHz wifi though, and my Pi's dual-band 2.4/5GHz.

I just came across something called lineageOS though...it's free. There's a few modified versions on the Raspberry Pi forums, but they're for the Raspberry Pi 3...I have a 3B+. It might not be optimized to my hardware, so I also downloaded an unmodified version direct from the lineage site, for 32 bit and 64 bit ARM. Not sure if it will even work though. But that's testing. 🙂

https://lineageos.org/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well...I came close, but either the hardware..ie: the Pi, or the software itself is a little buggy, or just needing the proper drivers. I installed LineageOS 16.0, was able to 'root the device', then enable the terminal, where I was then able to boot to recovery mode. But before going into recovery mode, I downloaded 'gapps'...Google Apps. Then I booted to recovery, where I was then able to install the gapps. But instead of doing a reboot and continuing on with that combo, it was suggested to do a full factory reset. That gives you a clean install with a fresh gapps...even the Play Store setup was different.

After that...I booted to the home screen, then fired up Play Store and installed the Oculus app. I then opened the app...and soon found out it wouldn't format to the screen properly, and I was only seeing the right 1/4 of the screen. I then installed Rotation Control from the app store, and set it to rotate to landscape. I thought it would rotate my entire screen, but it only does it for apps that need it. The Oculus app now took up the full screen. I then realized I needed to pair the headset and Pi's bluetooth, so I accessed the Quest's internal Android bluetooth settings using Quick Shortcut Maker, then paired both the Pi and the Quest. I was then able to actually connect with the Quest, through the Oculus app...on my Pi. I immediately tried the casting feature...the play screen pops up with controls underneath, but it's a black screen. I figured it was just due to the lack of memory on the Pi, but then I noticed the app kept losing connection with the headset. "nearby', 'not nearby', 'near by', 'not near by'. So, I'm not sure if that's hardware, or buggy bluetooth drivers.

To make it worse...that's the best Android OS I've found for the Pi so far...and the guy just shut his project down a few months ago. He makes the OS, then shares it with the community...and some jack asses have to go and steal his source, change it slightly...and sell it. He's not doing an image for the Pi 4 that just came out. That's unfortunate...because that Pi is definitely going to be better at running Android. Maybe if that Emteria makes an image for the Pi 4, and as long as the 5GHz hotspot actually works, then I might consider buying a copy. I'll definitely test drive it first though.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I love playing with my booted android phone (note8) latest nightly builds and great looking OS's 😉 sounds like you're into it also 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is my first real venture with Android. I've played with the Pi a lot, and have run Ubuntu for the most part of 2 decades...except I had to reinstall Winblows for my Rift. 😛 I just like tinkering, trying to modify things to get them to do what I want out of a project. I took 2 weeks once to learn to customize a Knoppix live cd into an emulation boot disk to run Cemu in the D!sh days. It was set up to be a compiler, as well as a bootdisk for the program you just compiled. An all-in-one hack. 😛

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Out of topic, but Pi3 is great cheap solution for people who  want to watch internet content from older TV, which doesn't directly support that option. It is hard to believe, but that thing can push out HD from youtube and from several other streaming services. Only real issue is netflix, which doesn't work on chromium browser because of some DRM-issues.

Personally I use Pi3 just for that and also as samba server which gives my local network 24/7 access to couple external 4TB usb harddisk's. As the thing consumes almost no power and has no fans, it is quiet and carefree device. Best 100€* I've spent for long time.

*) Includes casing, power supply, wireless keyboard/mouse, heatsinks and cables.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep...I started with a RPi2B, and made a Kodi box...I've been running Kodi since 2016 and haven't looked back. I even have a Hauppauge USB HDTV tuner stick, and a cheap-assed clothes hanger HD antenna to pick up all my locals. I sold the Pi to a buddy though and bought the RPi3B+ instead. But I also now watch Kodi on my pc...installed LibreELEC to it's own SSD. The RPi3B+ is for a portable NAS for the Quest, and has a 4TB WD MyPassport drive. Getting Quest casting on it is the last piece of the puzzle. The RPi3B+ isn't going to handle that though, which is why I can't wait to get my hands on a RPi4. They're shipping next week...at least the online shops in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well...I just realized the easiest way for me to cast to a dumb-tv or simple HDMI monitor, is to connect the phone to the tv/monitor using an HDMI cable, and an OTG adapter. Then just cast the Quest to the phone, and view on the tv/monitor. I'm still going to play with the Pi 4 and see what it can do, but until then, this is the simplest solution, and cheaper than a Chromecast or Nvidia Shield. It can't record game play though.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/how-do-i-connect-my-mobile-device-to-my-tv-using-a...

kojack
MVP
MVP

Spuzzum said:

which is why I can't wait to get my hands on a RPi4. They're shipping next week...at least the online shops in Canada.

Just a little warning, apparently the Pi 4 gets so hot it thermal throttles within about 5min of use. People are making case mods to add fans to it.

I'm going to get a Pi 4 to run the Mycroft assistant (while I wait for the real Mycroft hardware to finish being built). My Pi 3 was a bit too slow for it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2