New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus App won't connect to Wi-fi after pairing Oculus Quest.. getting misleading incorrect message

OculusQuestDayOneOculusQuestDayOne Posts: 21
Brain Burst

I am not able to setup my new Oculus Quest..

-On the app it shows device is paired ....

-but on the next step when I enter the wi-fi password I get misleading error message which says " Incorrect wifi user name or password etc..." I can assure that the wi-fi password is correct and the error is totally misleading..

-While it is stuck at the wi-fi connection with misleading incorrect password message.. In this stage If I restart the headset.. I see on the screen it shows " The oculus quest is being updated... you will be notified on your phone when the device is ready.. etc.." and at this stage the oculus connection shows up in my wi-fi router.. hence it confirms the previous error about wrong wi-fi password is incorrect.

-But the device update it never completes.. I tried waiting for more than 12 hours for the update to finish but it just wont go any further and at the end the device goes back to defaults and shows the 5 digit code again to setup the device..

-I am using Andoid 5 and 2.4ghz wifi. I tried changing my wi-fi password to something simple, tried setting up with different phone, and also tried connecting with entirely new wi-fi and also tested with mobile hot spot... every time exact same issue..

- also did factory reset and tested but still same issue.. tested changing wi-fi channel settings as well.

- I am not sure if I am not meeting pre-requisites that oculus quest needs or its just the issue with my headset..

- Already opened support ticket with Oculus but still waiting on update on that ticket..

-Really appreciate If anyone can help me how I can troubleshoot this issue.

Comments

• OculusQuestDayOneOculusQuestDayOne Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    @OculusSupport can you please help me with this issue...

• lensgold369lensgold369 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Had exactly the same problem. The Oculus support suggested to try logging in to another router (e.g. a friend's). I tried repeatedly logging in for 1 hour or so and suddenly it worked - I still don't know why. Maybe you should be close to the router. It is definitely a some frustrating bug. 
    Brain Burst
    Thanks. I tried with other wi-fi, Mobile hot spot and PC hotspot as well.. didn't help. not sure what the issue is..
  • byang164byang164 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    having the same issue as well. You can try what many on this thread did:
    https://support.oculus.com/999530850251236/
    Brain Burst
    edited June 3
    yes Thanks..I refereed this article.. three reasons mentioned in this article wont apply..
  • Mr_Oculus_Mr_Oculus_ Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Had exactly the same problem. The Oculus support suggested to try logging in to another router (e.g. a friend's). I tried repeatedly logging in for 1 hour or so and suddenly it worked - I still don't know why. Maybe you should be close to the router. It is definitely a some frustrating bug. 
    Did you keep pressing try again? or did you close and re enter the app?
  • kpowell0342kpowell0342 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had the same issue.I even took it to my office and it still wouldn't connect to the wifi.What i did was reset the headset, deleted the oculus app off my phone and reinstalled the app, logged back in to the app and it connected
    Brain Burst
    Thanks.. I did do factory reset many times.. used two different phones..with separate Oculus accounts..
    Brain Burst
    edited June 4
    I have been contacted by Oculus Support.. I am suggested to follow same steps which I have been trying till then.. At this point I have no hope If this issue will be resolved..  Ill post exact detailed response form Oculus  later
    NerveGear
    I tried both. I did not reinstall the Oculus App however. This problem only occurs when you start using the headset the first time, because you don't get past the 1st screen where it suggests to download the Oculus App for the phone. After one successful connection you have access to the headset menu. There you can connect directly with the headset by typing in the Wifi password with the touch controller and the virtual keyboard (easier when someone is is spelling it out loudly esp. If it is a complex password...). I think the bug is in the phone app.
  • Mr_Oculus_Mr_Oculus_ Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I tried both. I did not reinstall the Oculus App however. This problem only occurs when you start using the headset the first time, because you don't get past the 1st screen where it suggests to download the Oculus App for the phone. After one successful connection you have access to the headset menu. There you can connect directly with the headset by typing in the Wifi password with the touch controller and the virtual keyboard (easier when someone is is spelling it out loudly esp. If it is a complex password...). I think the bug is in the phone app.
    Thanks. Yeah i had a similar issue with my go the first time, it's so annoying that it only needs to connect once and then you are able to use it. I'm really not sure if i have a faulty headset or not. 
    Brain Burst
    I was able to setup using a phone with Android 8 OS.
  • MuzzyQuest2MuzzyQuest2 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'll have the same problem. I tried to make initial setup with my 5.1 android Tablet - didn't want to buy new cell phone just to make a setup. But after a week of struggling - I buy new $35 phone with android 8.1 and all initial setup went through without any troubles. Now I guess I can get rid of this phone  :/
  • flamepineapple9flamepineapple9 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    also having this issue with first time set up. It just sits on 50% downloaded. did a factory reset and it showed 100% but still frozen and didn't complete. Tried it again and it's back to 50% downloaded. I have tried 2 different wifi networks. Don't have an android device in the house, so can't try that option...I hope support gets back soon. 
  • JerviJervi Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hi, I have same problem. I have tried to change any setting on my router/modem. I have uninstalled app and reinstalled it. I have used my phone (android 5.02) as hotspot. Nothing work. I'm desperate.
  • BeerDogBeerDog Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    has anyone figured this out yet?  i have seen several posts about this issue, but no solutions.
  • BeerDogBeerDog Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Fixed for me.  Switched from WEP to WPA2 on router.  WEP is obsolete anyway, but was default on my old router.  Hope this helps someone. 
  • JerviJervi Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I solved. I have installed the app on my girlfriend's phone with android 7.
  • RayRiftRayRift Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I have no new information except low battery causes wi-fi to not connect? I'm experiencing the unconnectable wi-fi toggel at 20% power... charging to see if that's the deal..
  • jetro30087jetro30087 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Try logging into your router and see if it's blocking any devices. Had the same issue on my setup and it was because the router was blocking the quest ID for whatever reason.
    NerveGear
    I think Oculus should take this bug seriously. I had the same problem when pairing the headset for the first time. I tried to connect for over two hours when I finally succeeded to get over the first screen. If I ever have to factory reset the Quest for some reason I am afraid to run into the same problem again
  • Emilian1978Emilian1978 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I play at home and at my office. The wifi setup is the same for my both IDENTICAL Vodafone Station Huawei routers at 2,4 Ghz, to be seen everywhere in the house / office.
    I also have 2 x Oculus Quest - one for me and one for my daughter. Reporting the same issue on both visors.

At home, there are 4 routers in the entire building. My Quest always automatically connects to the internet and sees my router without any issues.

At my office, there are like 50 routers around (city center, many offices around) and the poor Quest goes in crysis and is listing like 8-10 of these routers, but rarely is listing my own. 
    I added the office router manually, but same results: it actually vanishes from the list as soon as I'm ading it.

In my opinion, this bug is related to the number of the routers around and the impossibility of the device to sort the routers based on the signal power. This should be the fix. Even if I'm standing on top of the router, my Oculus cannot see it because there are too many routers around.

My fix ? I'm restarting the router on different channels, until the Quest sees it. But this is happening ONLY at office and never at home.
  • blacksmith77blacksmith77 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Had this problem aswell, just tried a different phone and it worked.