cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vader Immortal - better than the movies - best PCVR ever - Rift impressions and reviews

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I didn't expect to be completely blown away by this experience - but exactly that happened. My review from the Store:

"This is probably the most impressive VR experience ever created, graphics are generally even better than Lone Echo - and I was starting to give up hope to experience such utterly awesome graphics with all these Quest games appearing lately. This version is NOT ported from the Quest - this is the original and extremely high-end version which was cut down to fit the Quest. The level of polygons are off the charts, and that's why you'll need a high-end cpu to run this game (I'm using an i7 7700K). Vader has so many polygons he simply looks real - he's tall - standing right next to you - as if you were truly there. The movies can't give you such an experence, thus this game/experience is better than the movies 😉 Textures are highly detailed, you're not really going to find better textures anywhere, this is an AAA VR experience. It's short though, but the level of work it must have taken to make this is truly incredible. This is a must-have for the Rifts. Black levels on the CV1 are great, and I didn't notice the SDE, so the Oculus Jedi Masters probably helped the devs to get everything perfect. Forcing super sampling (ss) 2.0 using Oculus Tray Tool made everything look ultra-sharp even structures and buildings more than 100 meters away. But using ss 2.0 was expensive, I got 45 fps on my heavily oc'ed GTX 1080, but it was no big deal - thanks to ASW 2.0. For this experience image quality is way more important than solid 90 fps. 16GB system ram worked OK, I don't think having less than 32GB is a problem. Sound using the CV1 headphones was awesome - like being in a theater. Controls were fine, but this is more like a VR movie than a game. Some tutorials were designed for right-handed persons, and I'm left-handed, but I managed. You get an error when you're too close to walls, which the devs could have done better, but again it's no big deal. All in all - for now - you won't find a better VR experience, even if you're a Trekkie ;)"

You will need a RTX 2080 Ti to enjoy Vader Immortal in 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 (or very high levels of super sampling). I did measure my performance to be close to 45 fps several places, maybe a RTX 2080 Ti won't be enough, but it'll probably be close. Not sure if 32GB is completely wasted on this game, but it worked fine using 16GB though, but my rig has no programs running beside the Oculus software and Oculus Tray Tool. 

BTW, the glove textures are simply amazing, the gloves look like made of some kind of leather and check out the tiny thread - and the patina - there're nearly microscopic stains of dirt on the gloves, it simply looks real. The fighting sequences could be way better, but this is more an experience than a game - so I don't mind the more stiff fighting movements. When that first Imperial Star Destroyer arrived it was totally sharp, you could see all details or close - I don't think that would be possible without very high levels of super sampling, definitely not on the CV1. This is a very dark game, may not be great on a LCD - and it makes sense that people like the black levels much better on the Quest compared to the Rift-S (as described on Reddit). Black levels using CV1 were great, although OLED mura (SPUD) could be observed a few places. 

Ninja Theory, the team behind Hellblade, helped to create this experience:

"Creating a groundbreaking experience like Vader Immortal does not happen without the support of talented folks across our industry. In addition to screenwriter David S. Goyer and our friends at Oculus, we are proud to be working with Ninja Theory, an award-winning developer in the UK, and Epic Games, creators of Unreal Engine."

More info from the developers here: 
https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/vader-immortal-a-star-wars-vr-series-episode-i/

Hellblade is one of the most hardware demanding VR games, but it's also one of the most beautiful VR experiences ever created, it makes sense that Ninja Theory helped create another truly awesome VR experience.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

81 REPLIES 81

ohgrant
Superstar
I started playing this on my Quest this weekend, I found myself out of breath and and totally immersed. As A Star Wars fan and an even bigger Star Wars Lucas Arts SW game lover. This is the game I've been waiting on for years and the perfect next step in VR experiences. Didn't realize it's on the Rift already, dl'ing now. 
 It's been a while since a Star Wars game came along that can top what Lucas Arts have done in the past. In my opinion neither Bethesda or EA ever came close. This is now the greatest Star Wars game or experience in my book. Bravo ILM and Oculus, that's a partnership to get excited about. I think it sets a new standard of what a Star Wars game and a VR experience should be in 2019.      
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just played this for the first time and it's awesome!!!

Not too keen on the smooth turning because it isn't that smooth but maybe I've got it set up wrong. I'll have a look at the options later.

Worth every penny though!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I bought this 1.5 months ago on sale (I could not resist, lol!).  I finally played it yesterday and it was fantastic.  I can hardly wait for the next (force?) chapter.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

bigmakbm1
Honored Guest
How much play space is required? Is it more or less standing like Beat Saber or more moving around like Robo Recall?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

bigmakbm1 said:

How much play space is required? Is it more or less standing like Beat Saber or more moving around like Robo Recall?

Maybe more like Arizona Sunshine regarding play space. You've got full locomotion and climb ladders etc. So it's not much like Beat Saber nor Robo Recall, although using the light sabers slightly is like Beat Saber. 
Just try it - get a refund in the ultra-rare case you don't like it 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Digikid1
Consultant

bigmakbm1 said:

Err...Robo Recall is not a moving game. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I bought and completed this game on release but then forgot about it, I really enjoyed it.

Now I'm excited for Episode 2, does anyone know when it's getting released?  B)
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I bought and completed this game on release but then forgot about it, I really enjoyed it.

Now I'm excited for Episode 2, does anyone know when it's getting released?  B)

Release date seems to be unknown for now:

https://www.cnet.com/news/in-vader-immortal-episode-ii-darth-vader-is-a-really-mean-mr-miyagi/

Can be revived now also using high detail, just get the pre-release 1.8.0. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Sorry you lost me there? I'm pretty tired today but I didn't understand the sentence?

What can be revived? And what pre-release? lol
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Sorry you lost me there? I'm pretty tired today but I didn't understand the sentence?

What can be revived? And what pre-release? lol

It works perfectly using the Index 😉