Rift S Static / White Flashing + Win 7 Hotfix now live for All Users - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Static / White Flashing + Win 7 Hotfix now live for All Users

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 904
    3Jane
    Heck NO. I lost all confidence in Oculus. You knowingly sold a defective product. You didn't even bother to communicate the problem until today.
    I get that you're peeved at Oculus, but don't take it out on volunteers. Techy didn't sell you anything, and Oculus refunded your purchase. Why still so mad?
    He`s entitled to his opinion or is that also not allowed any more?
    Of course opinions are permitted...

But the context of the post is that a volunteer was being blamed for the issue, not the vendor >:)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • FangzhouFangzhou Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    edited July 26
    Update: Finally got it work without static flashes after two months. 

Thanks to Oculus for reinventing the word "soon"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,608 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, ONLY TOOK YOU 2 MONTHS, I ALREADY GOT A REFUND !!!
    Will you repurchase when fixed ? I may do.
    Heck NO. I lost all confidence in Oculus. You knowingly sold a defective product. You didn't even bother to communicate the problem until today.
    Unfortunately all the recent released headsets this year have their own issues so far, that need to be worked out.
    I am glad Oculus is going to be able to address this one in a firmware update.
    Luckily my white flashes are very random and occasional so not as big a deal for me, but look forward to them being completely gone.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,596 Valuable Player
    edited July 21
    I agree, problems should be announced more quickly on the Oculus forums when something is taking longer then expected to fix. I'm all for having patience when certain problems arise, but you can only stretch people's patience so far.

Communicating wide spread problems like this to everyone in a sticky posts makes more sense then sending out individual emails. That way people can keep track of any progress made on these issues.

Hope Oculus get it sorted soon. Cheers! 
  • jabjab Posts: 199
    Art3mis
    My guess is that it is a cable bandwidth or video signal (on certain gfx cards) problem, but that they are trying to work around it in software.
    edited July 20
    jab said:
    My guess is that it is a cable bandwidth or video signal (on certain gfx cards) problem, but that they are trying to work around it in software.

Probably, I had the same problem with my CV1 when I had to increase the length of an extension to free up my Hdmi for my television. I put the CV1 on a DP, which meant I had to increase the length of my 3 meter extension by a further 9 inches. I then got these static flashes on CV1.

I have since removed the 3 meter extension which worked fine on the Hdmi port before and I am now just using the 9 inch DP to Hdmi extension and the CV1 is working fine. 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,630 Valuable Player
    Guess we cant have your stuff then......
    WAAAGH!
  • T_H_I_C_CT_H_I_C_C Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    This problem seems to also be happening with the Quest. Mine has had static since last night.
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    After i returned the first one i still had issues, mainly with tracking and i still have some issues with the blackscreen. Mainly happens after I install new graphics driver, but I know the workarounds. Reseated both wires and I have had zero issues cept for the black screen from installing new gfx driver.
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    The index is having some worse problems than oculus right now. both are having issues, and they didn't knowingly release a defective product, absolutely nothing is 100% or perfect.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,011 Valuable Player
    edited July 22
    Techy111 said:
    Will you repurchase when fixed ? I may do.
    best go buy an index..... that way design bugs get refactored into "features" ;)

https://i.imgur.com/Gjp92UQ.jpg

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,064 Volunteer Moderator
    best go buy an index..... that way design bugs get refactored into "features" ;)

https://i.imgur.com/Gjp92UQ.jpg

I haven't really been keeping up to date with the Index but I'm guessing they'll get things fixed although that doesn't sound firmware fixable! I'm going to stick my neck out and say 1.40 will sort out the S white flashes.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
    3Jane
    edited July 22
    It is strange that the flashes are quite so random, I can get several in quick (minutes) succession and then not see another for an hour or more, or have them fairly regularly spaced through a play session...
    At least the recent changes mean that the Rift S is 'available' regardless of how long the PC has been on, and the USB driver warning has gone and not returned.
    I'm sure we'll get a fix with a firmware update 'soon' so am not particularly bothered currently.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

• DEKEDDEKED Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    RattyUK said:
    and the USB driver warning has gone and not returned.
    I'm sure we'll get a fix with a firmware update 'soon' so am not particularly bothered currently.
    My USB Warning comes and goes here and there...:(
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited July 22
    I'm glad the issue will be addressed soon ? but the Rift-s should had never been released with this issue in the first place and I still believe this problem is related to the extra cable length of  the Rift-S.
    3Jane
    DEKED said:
    RattyUK said:
    and the USB driver warning has gone and not returned.
    My USB Warning comes and goes here and there...:(
    Previously if the warning was there everything worked fine, if it was green it didn't work at all without multiple restarts of the software (and the warning came back).  I'm not entirely sure which is to thank for the change as my PC 'updated' from 1709 to 1803 (I had it set to not update features for a year) at the same time Oculus put out the latest revision.

edited July 25
    The index is having some worse problems than oculus right now. both are having issues, and they didn't knowingly release a defective product, absolutely nothing is 100% or perfect.

If they launched the Rift S without much testing then yes they may not have seen the problems with tracking, white flashes, blank screen and some reports of controller lagg. However, if they did test it like they should have done, then I'm not sure what you mean by they didn't know. I think we are past that stage of the argument though and I just hope it doesn't happen in future VR headsets.

Maybe not everything is 100% perfect but there are standards you set yourself when selling a product. If this was something like a television with static flashing, I'm sure more people would have looked at returning it believing it to be faulty set. I don't want VR to get to a stage where we just expect there to be problems at launch and then have to wait weeks or even months for firmware fixes. It's far better to make sure everything is working as it should and then launch it.
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited July 23
    If you believe they didn't know about the static flashes before release then I have an iceberg I want to sell you.
    I have to agree with Philppe.heroux.58 that did know about the flashes and that's what a QA dept does reports bugs before the item is released this happens way to often 90% of the headsets to be overlooked by Oculus.
  • DanTheManVRDanTheManVR Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    The lengthy delay of a fix combined with the fact ( there is no way this company is that incompetent to not know this issue existed prior to release ) makes me feel as though what we'll get is at most a band-aid for the static flashes and more likely a recall/replacement of the cable or headset itself. So glad I purchased through Amazon.
  • VortimousVortimous Posts: 54
    Brain Burst
    I wish we could get an update on when they think they may have a fix and Im not just talking about the white flashes... I have not been able to even use mine for over a week (black screen wont come on since windows update).  I was talking to tech support daily through email, but after everything normal they tried failed, they just said they would pass it up higher to look at and I have not heard from then since.  That was last Thursday.  Its getting annoying that we have no info at all as to what they are doing.  I know it may take time, but are we talking days, weeks, months?  I still have games I bought that I have not even played yet.  This is too much money to spend on something that worked for a month and a half....
  • johnfisher57johnfisher57 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Good share
  • RomeoAlphaRomeoAlpha Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 25
    Excellent news! Who wants to be the guinea pig?
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited July 25
    Well the at least the patch works... It installed firmware update to HMD and it lights up fine... It also gave me the "USB driver recommended" message which I didn't have on previous build... Other ways seems to light up fine... Too early to say about flashes...

update:

Good stuff
    • Static flashes seem to be gone.
    Bad stuff
    • "USB driver update recommended"-message appeared with this update and didn't go away even after computer restart. This vanished after I shut the computer down and back on.
    • "Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release"-issue has not been fixed with this build. Removing battery covers fixes it. This got fixed after I shut the computer down and back on.

• MeeaksMeeaks Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Everything good on my end no flashes.. thx
  • geoff.killickgeoff.killick Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Just had 36 holes VR golf and no flashes as yet......... Will continue to test with iRacing.
  • geoff.killickgeoff.killick Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Also the Orange USB warning has gone, all green now!